Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Protection Bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 02:47 PM
mdsqwerty

why is it a bar? Why can't it be a flat maybe a little thick plating? I just think because its a bar, then it means that it is tall which in some cases could mean a direct miss(with out the bar) or hit if you come across a curb or driveway. I think a flat plating would be more efficient and it wouldn't cause so much stress on the screws after impact.
Old 03-16-2003, 03:24 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...like the protection plates for the 996?? If you've ever looked at the aftermarket front protection "skid plates" for the 996 you will see that they are a boomerang shape that follows the contours of the front valence. The issue is our cars is that you would have to drill new holes to secure the ends or find some other method of attachement.

With regards to Mike J's wish for a longer bar, the way that Gert's bar attaches if you have a longer bar and the end of the bar is what hits or scrapes then a signficant amount of force will be placed on the mounting holes due to the leverage generate. The force will easily rip the holes. Gert bar is best at protecting the underside from 90 degree scrapes, if the ends extended beyond the end mounting holes then you can guess what happens when force is applied only to one side at an angle.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:10 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts
I've got the evil bar, and so far no problems. I did replace the rubber spacers with metal washers, on the theory that I did not want it to try to flex at all since that would most likely cause damage. I did hit the bar hard enough at an angle to bevel one side of it pretty well, and no damage.

YMMV,
Old 03-16-2003, 05:27 PM
GTR 993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading this I now realize that my bar which is not chrome just stainless from PNP Porsche will not work because I have splitters. So anyone is unhappy with whoever is selling the chrome protection bar Email me and I will send it to you and if you want it you can pay me then. $90 plus whatever the shipping is.

Why would anyone come on here and falsify information? First of all it is degrading to whoever does it and if you plan on staying here as a Rennlist member you look like a complete moron. Just my .02

Quick Reply: Front Protection Bars