Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 11:41 AM
suee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding sound

:confus
ed: Hi there,
I have a 96 C2 with 71,000 kms and purchased it one year ago with 63,000kms (from a Porsche dealer here in Toronto). I also purchased the pre owned warranty from the dealer.
My question to any one that can help is that just as I come to a full stop,
the car develops a grinding feel at about 20 to 25 kms and that is without
any braking applied. I was in for a oil change two weeks and pointed this out to the service advisor, he had one of his guys take it out for a run. When he came back his answer was that the brake rotors were just clearing off some pitting or debris. Sure doesn't feel like its the brakes.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:51 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the board Suee! Could it be the rear spoiler which begins to retract at 15 km? They have a reputation of making a grinding sound when its associated gear mechanisim is beginning to wear out. Try to manually raise and lower it and see if that is your grinding sound.

Hank
Old 05-08-2004, 02:58 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ditto what hank said.
Tito.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:55 PM
suee
Advanced

no it's not that, this comes from down the middle and you feel it under the car.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:57 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheel bearings?
Old 05-08-2004, 04:11 PM
suee
Advanced

sounds right, but what do i know ,must get it checked
Old 05-08-2004, 04:13 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check to see if a rock or debris has somehow worked itself between the rotor and dust shield.

Also, check to see if one brake pad may be worn more than the others and that you might be grinding a pad w/ no material on the rotor. Do you see any signs of heavy scraping on any of the rotor surfaces? I know the cars have a low pad indicator, but it might have been bypassed by the previous owner.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:12 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Where does the noise sound like it is coming from? As Kelly mentioned, many times it is a rock that gets caught in the rock shield around the rotor. The shield then acts like an amplifier and the grinding sound is horrible. I had a customers car in last week with this problem. It is easily fixed....
Old 05-09-2004, 01:35 PM
suee
Advanced

It feels like it is coming from the rotors, but it still continues even after you take your foot off the pedal. This occurs at low speed just before you stop.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:41 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Yep, it sounds like a small rock. They get wedged on the back side of the rotor and make a terrible noise at low speeds (doesn't matter if the brake is on or not). Then the noise seems to go away when you drive a little faster. If you think you can find the offending corner of the car, simple take off the wheel and try flexing the shield on the back side of the rotor more than likely a rock will fall out... Make sure that if you bend this plate a little that it does not stay in contact with the rotor as this will then cause a grinding noise...
Old 05-09-2004, 01:47 PM
suee
Advanced

It sounds simple, even for me.Soon as i get a chance i will do it and let you know how it goes
Old 05-09-2004, 03:41 PM
suee
Advanced

Guys i think it worked , it was the paint from the dust shield that dried and started to rub against the rotor .Must go back in to clean a little more because i still feel a slight rub.

Two questions:
1 When the tire is off and i spin the rotor is it normal to have a slight friction against the rotor?

2 I noticed that the front shocks are ajustable,can it be lowered and does the same apply for the back?

Quick Reply: grinding sound