Sponsored by:

993 heat/AC

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 04:54 AM
FredSmith
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ToreB
This is not accurate, as several parts are missing in the picture. It applies to 1995/2 and later 993 models only, not for the 1994 and 1995/1 models. I highly suspect the latter is the case here. If one sources the missing parts and you do what you describe in an early models, you will stop any possibility for recirculation of cabin air, which will severly impact the HVAC operation.
All the best,
Tore
I've just checked the part number and it does seem that mine is an early part number on the control unit as suggested. I've had the car since it was 2 years old so its been in my possession for a good number of years and not had any kind of heating problem, well , except a stuck actuator in the floor well are which I replaced. I guess I'll leave the parts as they are (pictured above) and look at the electronics in the control unit as to why the Heater fan speed doesn't go above speed 1 when I turn the heating control up.
Thanks again for your help.....
Old 12-21-2023, 09:24 PM
IainM
Drifting

Received 305 Likes on 235 Posts

There’s a little plastic grommet/top hat clip that gets brittle and breaks. It fits over the ball joint and then retains the lever arm.
does anyone have a source for this part?
it’s not shown in PET and I’m not sure if it’s included if you buy the whole actuator.
I tried tie-wraps to keep the linkage connected but it doesn’t work. Too bulky and fouls on the CCU when reinstalled I suspect.
real PITA to work on through the slot.

im thinking of pulling the dash and replacing all of them - there’s several on the various flaps. —-if I could find the part.

any leads?
Old 12-22-2023, 05:35 AM
FredSmith
Track Day

Originally Posted by IainM
There’s a little plastic grommet/top hat clip that gets brittle and breaks. It fits over the ball joint and then retains the lever arm.
does anyone have a source for this part?
it’s not shown in PET and I’m not sure if it’s included if you buy the whole actuator.
I tried tie-wraps to keep the linkage connected but it doesn’t work. Too bulky and fouls on the CCU when reinstalled I suspect.
real PITA to work on through the slot.

im thinking of pulling the dash and replacing all of them - there’s several on the various flaps. —-if I could find the part.

any leads?
Hi IainM, many thanks for the steer, there is a photo above supplied by ToreB, would this be the set up you refer to? It is strange on my car, as I have the actuator, the (static) ball joint and also a thin pipe which isn't attached to anything, likewise the actuator isn't connected to anything which begs the question why would Porsche put it there??? If the parts you refer to are available IainM then I can at least have a go at putting it all together. I then need to focus on the HVAC situation which ToreB sent details over, so I can try to get my cabin fan to work properly. Thanks again!
Old 12-22-2023, 05:48 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 249 Posts

Fred Smith, as I have mentioned above, the factory did a gradual transfer from the first to second 993 version. This applies to several changes in the car, not only the HVAC system. Therefore, some early 993 cars have have the recirculation flap actuator arm mechanism only, some even have an unused actuator fitted. You have confirmed that you have the early CCU version, so if you attempt to source the missing components and assemble a vacuum operated recirc mechanism, you will ruin the HVAC recirculation function.
You mention that you will inspect your CCU for faults to get your main blower working normally again. This is a misconception, the problem lies in the rear fan circuit.
All the best,
Tore
Old 12-22-2023, 05:55 AM
FredSmith
Track Day

Thanks ToreB, I guess given I've had the car for 25 years and not had a problem that I know of with the actuator set up, you are right, I should just forget about that and move onto the cabin blower. My apologies, I did confuse things in my response earlier, I will now focus on the rear fan circuit and work through the information you kindly sent over. Please accept mt apologies for any confusion I created.
Thanks again!
Old 12-22-2023, 12:28 PM
IainM
Drifting

Received 305 Likes on 235 Posts

Fred, fix the blower first as Tore says and see if you’re done.

Ido, heat exchanger is stainless steel and very reliable. However if it’s not clamped up right it could leak. If the exhaust is leaking you’d hear it. Check the orange rubber air hoses are secure and the black rubber flaps are present in the downward facing intakes
Old 12-23-2023, 05:20 AM
FredSmith
Track Day

Originally Posted by IainM
Fred, fix the blower first as Tore says and see if you’re done.

Ido, heat exchanger is stainless steel and very reliable. However if it’s not clamped up right it could leak. If the exhaust is leaking you’d hear it. Check the orange rubber air hoses are secure and the black rubber flaps are present in the downward facing intakes
Thanks chaps, it might be a while before I get onto it, sometime into the new year I guess.
Regards
Old 01-10-2024, 10:52 AM
FredSmith
Track Day

Originally Posted by FredSmith
Thanks chaps, it might be a while before I get onto it, sometime into the new year I guess.
Regards
Just want to say Thanks very much. Following your guidance and information I've found the problem with my blower / Heater unit, it was simply a faulty relay. It now all works well. Thanks again :-)

Quick Reply: 993 heat/AC