993 Forum 1995-1998

Thoughts on C2S symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 02:23 PM
Jackson911
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thoughts on C2S symptoms

I have a '97 C2S with 58K miles and I could use some help determining the cause of my issue. The car has been driving well with no issues until about three weeks ago. I was leaving my neighborhood and turned right from a complete stop. The car hesitated and seemed to lose power, then regained power, and ran fine for the errands (no check engine light or other lights on dash appeared). I returned home for about an hour, then went to start the car again and it struggled to start, and all the lights on the dash came on. I sat there for a few minutes, tried again, it struggled, but started up (no check engine or other lights on dash appeared). I pulled car back into garage and decided to do some research here. I decided to order a Focus 9 DME relay and replaced it last week.

Since then, the car has been running perfectly until this morning. I made several errands with no issues until my last stop where I had a difficulty with starting the car again (same scenario as above). It struggled to start on the second attempt, but finally did. Then I drove through the parking lot and it seemed to lose power again. I pulled into a parking spot and it seemed to idle fine, and once I got on the road, I was able to make it home with no issues. If something is failing, I'd like to figure it out prior to being stuck somewhere.

Hopefully my description is clear enough to get some thoughts?
Old 09-16-2022, 03:11 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Jackson 911, years ago I had small issues like yours on my C4S 993 and It turn out to be a battery grounding cable going bad. I replace the cable and clean up the contact areas, problem gone. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by C4SJOHN:
gonzilla (09-16-2022), INTMD8 (09-16-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 04:52 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 306 Posts

Could also be the infamous DME relay. Try plugging in a spare if you have one..
The following 2 users liked this post by PRSWILL:
autobonrun (09-26-2022), pp000830 (09-16-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 04:58 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 407 Likes on 256 Posts

I would start with blaming the DME relay. Just because it's new doesn't mean it works.

How old are you spark plug wires? Was it wet/raining when this happened? Can you visually inspect them - especially the bottom bank.

I agree look at the ground (s). I clean them anytime I'm working on the car and near one. Have you done maintenance on the electrical system of the engine (Distributor caps, rotors, coils, etc.)?

/

Last edited by fatmike; 09-16-2022 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-16-2022, 06:37 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

Also, check your fuse box where the DME plugs in - sometimes there can be a problem where the DME plugs in - look to see if the plastic shows any signs of melting.
Old 09-16-2022, 06:39 PM
Jackson911
Advanced

Originally Posted by C4SJOHN
Jackson 911, years ago I had small issues like yours on my C4S 993 and It turn out to be a battery grounding cable going bad. I replace the cable and clean up the contact areas, problem gone. Good luck.
Thanks, I will check the grounding cable and look to replace

Originally Posted by PRSWILL
Could also be the infamous DME relay. Try plugging in a spare if you have one..
Thanks - I need to order another new one as a back-up so I'll do that today
Originally Posted by fatmike
I would start with blaming the DME relay. Just because it's new doesn't mean it works.

How old are you spark plug wires? Was it wet/raining when this happened? Can you visually inspect them - especially the bottom bank.

I agree look at the ground (s). I clean them anytime I'm working on the car and near one. Have you done maintenance on the electrical system of the engine (Distributor caps, rotors, coils, etc.)?
/
Not sure not the spark plug wires, I'll check my records. I did hand wash the car an hour or so prior and dried with a blower prior to the first power loss, but today it was completely dry.
I have not done any work on the electrical system
Old 09-16-2022, 06:56 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 752 Likes on 506 Posts

How loud is your fuel pump?

Have you already replaced the DME and it ran better? This feels like a fuel pump and is exhibiting the same behavior that mine did. At about 95k, fuel pump became loud, blew DME, replaced DME, limped home, replaced fuel pump and F9 solid state relay, never another problem.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:01 PM
Jackson911
Advanced

Originally Posted by 71-3.0-911
How loud is your fuel pump?

Have you already replaced the DME and it ran better? This feels like a fuel pump and is exhibiting the same behavior that mine did. At about 95k, fuel pump became loud, blew DME, replaced DME, limped home, replaced fuel pump and F9 solid state relay, never another problem.
Yes, replaced DME with F9 solid state last week and car was running well until the issue this morning. The fuel pump is not loud at all
Old 09-16-2022, 08:23 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I would put a fresh standard DME relay in and see if your problem goes away.
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 09-17-2022 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:48 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 234 Posts

Problem with intermittent problems is it’s impossible to diagnose unless it’s happening. Strategy 1 is start throwing parts at it and if done sensibly, starting with plausible systems that need replacing anyway, is a reasonable way to go.
Strategy 2 is counterintuitive: drive the car more until the intermittent part fails. Daily driving will likely flush the bug out in short order. Just make sure you’re carrying your AAA card.
Old 09-17-2022, 07:08 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,434 Likes on 2,800 Posts

Initially it sounded like a bad gas story.

Maybe the fuel pump, if the problem is persisting.
Old 09-17-2022, 09:45 AM
Mfbuehler
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar issue last year (sluggish starts when the engine was hot) and I suspected the fuel system after I replaced the DME. In my case I also had an occasional low idle stall when hot. I replaced the fuel filter because I couldn’t get a sense of when it was last done. I have had no issues since then.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:30 AM
sacman
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

I would check the fuel pump. The Focus9 DME is a solid state and it's new so the likelyhood of it being the problem again is low. If you got the version that prime the pump then every time you restart the car it should get the fuel in the system unless your fuel pump is on the verge of failing. Check your fuel pressure with a guage and definitely check the ground strap.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:42 AM
Jackson911
Advanced

Thanks for all of the input. I've ordered another new F9 relay and will also check the following: battery ground cable, fuse box (as mentioned above), and fuel filter. The good news, or possibly bad news, is that I drive this multiple times a week so we will see what happens.

I appreciate the input and I'll report back on my progress.

Thanks, Evan
Old 09-26-2022, 07:55 PM
Jackson911
Advanced

The battery cable and other misc items I ordered arrived. I changed the cable this morning, but left the new F9 DME relay in place so I could attempt to narrow down the issue. The car started up and drove with no issues this afternoon.

I couldn’t really see the existing cable as it’s under the cd changer, but this is what it looks like. I assume it is original and hopefully is the primary cause of my issue

I appreciate the help.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on C2S symptoms