OT: American drivers commentary in Edmunds

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 10:52 AM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: American drivers commentary in Edmunds

http://www.edmunds.com/news/column/c...7/article.html

I'm we all can relate to this, especially if we've had the opportunity to drive in Germany, which I have (albeit once in a VW Polo, and again in an MB A-class, both instances get blown by p-cars in the left lane!)
Old 05-04-2004, 12:56 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So sad, and SO TRUE...
Old 05-04-2004, 05:56 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do we expect when they issue driver's licenses to anyone with $20. Do they even give driving tests any longer?
Old 05-04-2004, 06:26 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Tour18-

I agree, in Germany it cost my girlfriend about 2000+ DM and took a year for her to accomplish. Why can't the US as a whole conduct a better Driver's Ed program?

harrY
Old 05-04-2004, 08:25 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

DC has to be the worst.....and Texas the best. People in TX know how to merge at 75. I see people stopped at the top of merge lanes here (mostly non-Interstates thankfully) frequently, with another 150 yards of lane left. I could go on and on, but my blood pressure would go up too much.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:52 AM
vuugti
Addict
Rennlist Member

Traveling the interstates one would think that poor driving skills are a national pastime. It has definitely become an epidemic, esp. when a 45-ton truck/trailer can pass me doing nearly 80 mph. One key thought, as this is America most people believe driving is their right. Other countries you must earn that privilege.

Andy
Old 05-04-2004, 09:22 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Friend of mine (American) said traffic is a reflection of society.

I don't know if that's true or not but driving/drivers here are the biggest pain in the butt. People just don't give a **** about others but what do you expect when every moron with $20 in their had get a licence.
It's a joke even call it driving, that's how bad it is.
Gets me mad and like forklift, I can't go further because my blood pressure would rise through the roof...
Old 05-04-2004, 10:16 AM
solsrch
Pro

DC has to be the worst.....and Texas the best. People in TX know how to merge at 75. I see people stopped at the top of merge lanes here (mostly non-Interstates thankfully) frequently, with another 150 yards of lane left.
Or as an alternative here in the region, they will drive to the very end of the merge lane and come to a complete stop- thus completly negating the very purpose of a merge lane since they must now use the traffic lanes to come up to speed. Of the stopping early or stopping late crowd, I think the late folks are even more clueless. UGH
Old 05-04-2004, 10:55 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That is what I was trying to say prior to my coffee!
Old 05-04-2004, 01:44 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,082 Likes on 641 Posts

Bad drivers? Sure, American's the worst...Is this left wing apologist kidding? Just his opinion, I guess the first part of his America bashing is getting old, so off to something new.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Agro1
Banned

If that kind of stuff gets your blood pressure up, imagine how you'd feel if your P-car got rear-ended by an undocumented, uninsured motorist from south of the border...Happens every day here in lovely CA, but they have rights too, remember ? People's rights have become more important than personal responsibility - that's the crux of the problem. Just my .02
Old 05-04-2004, 02:52 PM
volpenyc
Pro

As an American having lived most of my life abroad, you cannot imagine how much this article hit home. Now that I am back in the US, it has taken a very long time to get used to this sort of "driving" (and I use the term loosely) behaviour; especially the SUV/racecar driver wannabe's.

If you want to drive sporty - get a sports car; (hence the name) if you need to have 22" bling bling rims to show your pimp'd ride, great, but the twain should NOT meet. And don't try to overcompensate when a P-Car pulls up to your tail...

Which brings me to another point: I have noticed that many times, when I am approaching a vehicle ahead of me, that I am about to pass shortly, the vehicle suddenly decides to pull into the "passing lane" (again, liberal definition of the words passing lane here in the US). I have noticed this happens more often when I am driving my P-Car as opposed to another one. The culprits seem more often than not to be SUVs. I may be biased, but an informal tally would seem to be in order. Does this happen to you as well?
Old 05-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Happens a lot here in PA. Less so in NJ. It's so annoying to the point that I've found myself to be driving faster than I would want to so that I can close the gap before the idiot decides to move to the passing lane (don't worry, I still leave enough room to brake should the idiot still try to do so). Then of course, after they cut you off, they proceed to pass at 5mph faster than the car on the right.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:37 PM
volpenyc
Pro

I have the exact same thing happen to me as well...
Old 05-04-2004, 03:42 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember growing up that there were plenty of signs that said "slower traffic keep right" and that tickets were issued for not abiding. I have not seen one of those signs in years - I guess I have a lot to be thankful for - not too many people live here in NM as compared to other places, but we definately have the problem, made worse when we are in our p-cars!! I think a bumber sticker is in order or a neon sign that says something to the effect that you are an idiot if you get passed on the right. More seriously though, how do we get people to drive better and be more courteous??

Quick Reply: OT: American drivers commentary in Edmunds