Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tech Question: Oil Leak when driven hard...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 11:19 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 160 Posts
Question Tech Question: Oil Leak when driven hard...

Gang,

The past two weekend's I've taken my car out had driven it nice and hard - considering it had sat for about 31 days, I thought a little exercise would be good for it. However, after each of these long (3+ hours) drives, when I check the car the next morning I've got some oil on the garage floor. So I jack the car up to take a look, and it looks like it's seeping where the transmission meets the engine. I can't really tell if it's the engine main seal or something above that because of the sizable amount of oil.

Here's the kicker though, the car is my daily driver - and each morning and afternoon for the last two weeks I've checked the car before I drive it, and there is *NO* oil beneath it. None, natta, zippo.

I have to admit, I'm stumped... The first time I thought it was just that some seal had dried up while sitting, and some oil blew-by when I drove it before the seal became moist and resealed itself. But after this weekend's drive, I'm not so sure the leak has resealed. The oil level is fine (dipstick & guage)- it doesn't really seem to be using any oil. What seals can leak in that area ?? Does anyone have any advice ??

cheers,

sean
Old 04-08-2002, 12:47 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am by no means an expert as my ownership extends one whole week at this point but here is a thought. I was talking to my mechanic, Mike Shatz, on Friday about checking the oil on my tt. He said to make sure the temperature gauge was sitting at 9 oclock before adding oil. I was not getting a good reading on my dipstick after a 40 minute drive. He said I might need to let it idle for 30 minutes to get it up to temperature! Is it possible that during your daily commute, your car isn't getting up to temperature (like mine) , and then when you wring her out, it gets up to temp and pukes a little? This of course presumes that you filled the oil when the car was only "warm" instead of "hot".
Old 04-08-2002, 01:30 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face

Sean, would have to along with Scott - at least, I hope this is what it is. When my rear engine oil seal went (one facing tranny) I don't remember a difference between hot and cold running as far as the oil floods. I DO notice a large difference in oil level between a warm and a hot engine.

Notice you're from Houston, so I assume you've got 70+ deg ambient temperature. This could result in a different engine temperature in a commute vs. a 3+ hour drive.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:33 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 160 Posts
Scott,

I doubt overfilling is the problem. I am religous about checking the oil (I actuall *do* check it at every fillup - and I know about the need to get the engine hot to check it).

I spoke to a mechanic this morning who seemed to think that it was a seal on the top of the block where the oil thermostat used to be on older 911s. He said it's common for this seal to dry out and start spewing on 993s. But it will usually spew only when driven hard (because the seal is on the top of the engine ??). It's apearently an easy fix, once you get the intake manifold off.

Does this jive anyone else's experience ??

sean
Old 04-09-2002, 11:01 PM
awd911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your mechanic confirms my expierence. There is a thermostat /oil pressure sensor seal on top of the engine by the flywheel end. On my higher mileage cars, I have had to replace them. This type of leak is hard to detect since it works its way down and may appear to be coming from other sources like your main seal.

You do not have to take the intake manifold of (about $500 in labor). I have replaced mine just by taking off the air filter box and the air mass sensor. Takes a little bending but can be done.

Another source of leaks in that area is the power steering cam seal. BTW there are two. Good luck with finding yours.

jd

Quick Reply: Tech Question: Oil Leak when driven hard...