Sponsored by:

Alarm Help - Car Stranded

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 08:36 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Alarm Help - Car Stranded

Key fob wouldn’t lock car, so used key to lock door. Had dinner. Hour later, key fob not unlock car, so unlocked car with key in door, which set off the alarm. Changed battery in fob. Changed batter in immoblock, still can get car to communicate with fob. Won’t start. Car is stuck. Alarm keeps blaring.

any thoughts?

thanks
Old 07-10-2022, 09:53 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Verify the voltage from the battery at rest is at least 12.5 volts.
Remove the Immoblock close the door and lock it with the fob or key. After sitting a while, do the door LEDs flash in couplets indicating a fault.
If so you will need to check the bulbs and switches as discussed on this page first:
https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...-lighting.html
Andy
Old 07-10-2022, 09:54 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Todynot
Key fob wouldn’t lock car, so used key to lock door. Had dinner. Hour later, key fob not unlock car, so unlocked car with key in door, which set off the alarm. Changed battery in fob. Changed batter in immoblock, still can get car to communicate with fob. Won’t start. Car is stuck. Alarm keeps blaring.

any thoughts?

thanks
This happened to me once and I disconnected the main battery, changed the fob battery and then re-connected the main battery, all was well after that.
Old 07-10-2022, 10:20 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

The fob is not communicating with the car. When I tried to lock the car with fob after arriving at eatery and it didn’t work, I just assumed battery was probably dead. So, locked with key in door. I’ve changed fob and immoblock batteries and have measured car battery at 12.8 volts. Now noticed I’ve got a double blink on door light, which I believe is indicative of a fault. I’ve disconnected the battery and had to leave the car stranded in the parking lot. Hopefully the system will reset.

I use the car very infrequently and can’t put up with this nonsense…ugh!

Andy, I’ll read your link in hopes of finding something helpful…thanks.
Old 07-10-2022, 11:20 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Todynot
The fob is not communicating with the car. When I tried to lock the car with fob after arriving at eatery and it didn’t work, I just assumed battery was probably dead. So, locked with key in door. I’ve changed fob and immoblock batteries and have measured car battery at 12.8 volts. Now noticed I’ve got a double blink on door light, which I believe is indicative of a fault. I’ve disconnected the battery and had to leave the car stranded in the parking lot. Hopefully the system will reset.

I use the car very infrequently and can’t put up with this nonsense…ugh!

Andy, I’ll read your link in hopes of finding something helpful…thanks.
Hopefully, you have a spare fob! There're Rennlist threads on how to resolve this problem, do a search.
http://www.systemsc.com/

Old 07-10-2022, 11:31 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by systemsc
Hopefully, you have a spare fob! There're Rennlist threads on how to resolve this problem, do a search.
Unfortunately, I do not. Am I screwed?
Old 07-11-2022, 12:22 AM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 416 Likes on 237 Posts

Something easy you can try... clean the contacts on the FOB printed circuit board, then bend them inwards to make sure they grip the battery tightly. When you press the button the FOB LED should be bright and STEADY (not flickering). Have you had a history of needing to be real close to the car to get the FOB to work or press the button multiple times?

It's a little late now but in the future... the Owner's manual describes the correct procedure to unlock (and start) the car with just the key. It's on page 20 in my manual. You need the 4-digit immobilizer code, the key and a little patience. If you've never done it before, it's not the kind of thing you'll want to be doing on the side of the road at night, but it does work and it'll get you home.

BTW, the double blink on the door LED is just telling you you opened the door with the key and set off the alarm.

Last edited by jay@EZimmoblock.com; 07-11-2022 at 12:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Kein_Ersatz (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 09:26 AM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Is there an easy DIY method to confirm the fob is putting out an RF signal?
Old 07-11-2022, 11:18 AM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 416 Likes on 237 Posts

There are inexpensive RF detectors that'll tell you if your FOB is "putting something out"
example example
but they won't tell you if it's putting out the code the immobilizer expects, i.e., a brand new FOB right out of the box will light the idiot light but won't unlock the door. Limited usefullness.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:40 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Hey folks, just wanted to close the loop on this. As suggested by some of our members, I cleaned the fob battery contacts and bent them inward slightly to increase contact force. Reconnected the car battery, alarm instantly begins blaring, but this time fob works and I’m back in business.

Now the car battery had been disconnected for several days, but I’m assuming it was the fob.

I’m buying a second fob ASAP so I’ll have a backup from now on.

Appreciate those that chirped in with some assistance.
Old 07-19-2022, 11:29 PM
Markmcmlx
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Helped Me

Quick Reply: Alarm Help - Car Stranded