Bent Rim- Question on drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 01:08 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bent Rim- Question on drivetrain

I have one rear rim that was found to be bent when I was having some new tires mounted. The balance guy called my attention to it, but he was able to balance the rim/tire on his machine. I could see the egg shaped wheel as he slowly rotated it.

Once back on the car, I cannot feel any vibration coming from the bent wheel even when taking it up over 100. The only problem is when the tires are cold, I can feel vibration until the tires warm up, but I attribute that to more the tire construction than the rim.

My question is, even though I can't feel the bent rim, I know it is egg shaped and must not be rotating in a perfect circle. Is this a problem for accelerated wear on any of the drive line components... wheel bearings, CV joints, trans? If so, I'll immediately pull it from service and switch to another set of wheels that I have. If it's not going to cause any problems, I'd just as soon stay with this set on the car.

Any ideas or thoughts about this?
Old 04-30-2004, 05:46 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bent was fine, until we went to Germany. It really started to vibrate at 200 km/h and stopped again at 230 or so. Tire was in balance.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:24 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The original Cup wheels that came with my 993, the left front was bent. Found when I had it balanced. To me, It was well bent but It didn't cause any vibration, specially being in the front. I had it replaced right away. That's just me. I was afraid that the steering linkages is doing the absorbtion if there was any vibs. So before it damages anything, I replaced it.

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 05-01-2004 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:44 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike,
Where did you buy your single rim from?
Old 04-30-2004, 09:47 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you can't feel any vibration or strange tracking, you might be OK. Even tho the wheel is out of round, the tire is holding it's shape. Problem might be is you have a better chance of suffering a tire blowout failure around the bead (where tire touches the rim).
Old 04-30-2004, 09:56 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ray,

That's the odd thing. When it was on the balance machine, I could see the inside edge of the tire dipping down a bit as it rotated. I was sure when I got it on the road I would have a vibration problem, but other than the intial few miles I can feel no vibration. Has me wondering if the suspension and drivetrain is somehow absorbing this which to me has the potential of premature parts wear.

I'm thinking to replace the bad rim if I can find a single 17" cup wheel for sale.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2004, 10:38 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by kkim
Mike,
Where did you buy your single rim from?
Got it from Wheel Enhancement for $200 plus shipping. Straight and true/very nice condition.

Mike
Old 04-30-2004, 11:32 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Mike.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:08 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

kkim (whoever the heck you are), I would doubt that the 993 suspension would damp out a vibration. Just the opposite; any little out-of-round situation is picked up by it. I've noticed this driving with a rock stuck in the tread, and in before-and-after track driving when the track event has worn the tread (yes, I drive track tires to & from the track and home).
Old 05-01-2004, 02:24 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ray-
I'm just a fellow Porsche owner who is trying to figure out if the bent rim I have is really a problem or not.

I agree with what you said about how I should be able to feel the out of round rim/tire and that's what has me concerned about this situation and it's effects on the drivetrain by using it.

You're saying if it doesn't cause vibration, it should be okay to use?

thanks
Old 05-01-2004, 07:34 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

You're saying if it doesn't cause vibration, it should be okay to use?
[QUOTE]

That would be my guess, altho like I said in my first post you're likely increasing the potential of a blowout if the bead is exposed.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:04 AM
gslaberge
Advanced

I had the same problem with a bent rear wheel on my C4S. For $90 a reputable shop straightened the wheel and it is good as new. One caveat, the wheel cannot be straightened again due to the process used to fix it.
I would not leave the wheel like that since the fix is cheap and at high speeds it could cause failure.
Gregg
Old 05-02-2004, 10:32 AM
wheelguy
Intermediate

I would take it or send it to a rim shop and have it straightened. It can't hurt to have it straight, why take a chance? We have a distributor in Honolulu who may be able to help you find the right shop. His info is available at www.wheelwax.com and click on the where to buy, then Hawaii. Give Darrin a call, hope it helps.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:49 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've sent out for quotes for a single rear wheel.

I'll also persue the idea of straightening the rim. I knew there was no one on this island that could do the work and wrongly assumed that I would need send it to the mainland to fix. I will check to see if anyone on Oahu can do it. Thank you all for your suggestions and cautions.

Quick Reply: Bent Rim- Question on drivetrain