993 Forum 1995-1998

Got It! (Finally!) Have Questions:

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 01:16 AM
SeanD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Got It! (Finally!) Have Questions:

Tonight my '95 Black 993 was delivered via flatbed to me. I just got in from staring at in MY garage again. Still can't believe it!!

They forgot to sent the manual etc and are shipping the paperwork to me.

Anyway. A couple of Q's:

1. I have an Alpine Head unit and CD-Changer (in the trunk). I also have a Nokia box unit in the drivers door compartment. It has quite a few settings. It seems to override anything I set up (Bass, Treb, Balance, Fader) on the head unit. What is this unit and how does it work? I think I found the best setting, but I don't understand the symbols. Anywhere on the net I can get some info on this? Checked the FAQs already.

2. They are telling me that they may have lost the original owners manual. If this turns out to be the case, where can i purchase one? The dealer? Somewhere online?

3. For the life of me, I can't figure out the locks. It appears that I have an aftermarket alarm system by codealarm. There is a small LED in the lower right corner on the left side of the steering wheel that works, but there are two LEDs, one on each door that don't. When I alarm the system on the remote (looks like a lock for armed and an unlocked lock for the dis-armed) the doors do not lock. When I unlock the drivers door, the passenger door also unlocks. I have to manually lock the passenger door with the center button, close the drivers door and lock it with the key. Is something wrong or am I missing something. Maybe I can take it to the dealer and have them re-wire for the original factory alarm or is that system not good?

3. The seal around the sunroof has peeled away. Is there a kit I can purchase to replace it? Also the seals around the doors are cracked. Is this a dealer item or DIY?

4. My interior lights don't come on when I open the door. They can be manually activated. Is this correct or maybe the wiring is messed up?

That's it for now!! I'm sure I'll have some more after I spend some time behind the wheel.

TIA

Sean

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: SeanD ]

Old 06-20-2001, 04:15 AM
Ofer
Advanced

As far as the interior lights are concerned, they are probably tied into the Code-Alarm's relays. The alarm uses the door sensors used for the interior lights. Make sure the alarm triggers when you open the door with the alarm on (armed). I have a feeling whoever installed the alarm spliced into that circuit. Enjoy it in good health!!

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: Ofer ]
Old 06-20-2001, 04:20 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you may have the "porsche block" system.Plus an aftermarket item!..
Old 06-20-2001, 04:59 PM
Jeff 993Turbo
Intermediate

Originally posted by SeanD:
<STRONG>Tonight my '95 Black 993 was delivered via flatbed to me. I just got in from staring at in MY garage again. Still can't believe it!!

They forgot to sent the manual etc and are shipping the paperwork to me.

Anyway. A couple of Q's:

1. I have an Alpine Head unit and CD-Changer (in the trunk). I also have a Nokia box unit in the drivers door compartment. It has quite a few settings. It seems to override anything I set up (Bass, Treb, Balance, Fader) on the head unit. What is this unit and how does it work? I think I found the best setting, but I don't understand the symbols. Anywhere on the net I can get some info on this? Checked the FAQs already.

2. They are telling me that they may have lost the original owners manual. If this turns out to be the case, where can i purchase one? The dealer? Somewhere online?

3. For the life of me, I can't figure out the locks. It appears that I have an aftermarket alarm system by codealarm. There is a small LED in the lower right corner on the left side of the steering wheel that works, but there are two LEDs, one on each door that don't. When I alarm the system on the remote (looks like a lock for armed and an unlocked lock for the dis-armed) the doors do not lock. When I unlock the drivers door, the passenger door also unlocks. I have to manually lock the passenger door with the center button, close the drivers door and lock it with the key. Is something wrong or am I missing something. Maybe I can take it to the dealer and have them re-wire for the original factory alarm or is that system not good?

3. The seal around the sunroof has peeled away. Is there a kit I can purchase to replace it? Also the seals around the doors are cracked. Is this a dealer item or DIY?

4. My interior lights don't come on when I open the door. They can be manually activated. Is this correct or maybe the wiring is messed up?

That's it for now!! I'm sure I'll have some more after I spend some time behind the wheel.

TIA

Sean

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: SeanD ]</STRONG>
Old 06-20-2001, 07:08 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1. Box in driver's door pocket sounds like the digital sound option (DSP? or something like that). Haven't a clue - I'm sure someone on the Board can guide you.

2. Order a replacement owners' manual (& shop manual) from my-porsche.com or from your Porsche dealer.

3. If you can start your car w/o pressing a Porsche remote, you don't have the DriveBlock system. Although you could have a factory alarm, if you do, it sounds like it has been bypassed/deactivated to use the aftermarket Code Alarm system. In any case, I'd contact a Code Alarm dealer/installer for help with that system, an instruction booklet, etc. Code Alarm's website is Code Alarm

3. Not sure if the sunroof seal is DIY. The door seals are not too difficult to replace. Use Wurth's Rubber Care Gel Stick to prevent future seal cracking. (See Anir's post
under "Squeak elimination tip" below for source info).

4. If not screwed up by the alarm install, interior lights have 3 positions: always off, on w/doors & always on. The light assemblies toggle (push in at either end).

"I'm sure I'll have some more after I spend some time behind the wheel." - I'm sure you will.

Enjoy your new baby & good luck. BTW, try not to spend too much time staring at her tonight - you both need some rest for this weekend!!!

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: Dan 96C2 St.Louis ]
Old 06-21-2001, 01:43 AM
SeanD
Instructor

Thumbs up

Thanks Dan!

The link to My Porsche is a great one. Also the Code Alarm.

I drove her to work today and about 11:00am I couldn't stand it any more so I left for the day and have been driving around like I was 16 with my license again! One of the Melbourne Beach cops stopped in front of my place and got me really worried. He got out and asked to take a look at the car. I said drive it if you want. Just remember the guy with red hair and a black 911 in this town... I'm NOT speeding. He laughed and said that I;m the only one with this type of car in the area. Lots of Boxsters and the other one the looks like a Boxster (996 hehehe) but nothing like this. He didn't drive it but told me to enjoy it and drive carefully. He actually stopped to tell me someone left a kids bike in the road and wondered if I knew who owned it. He did admit though that it was an good excuse to come look at my car!

Now to tint the windows. I hate all the attention while driving! It makes me feel weird.

Sean
Old 06-21-2001, 02:56 AM
dusty
Track Day

the code alarm is probably set to open both doors on the unlock. i dont think i have my alarm booklet here at school, but there is a momentary on off switch, probably two brown wires coming out of the unit, that you want to hold in for for seconds or some crap, you really need the procedure to do anything, as its set by remote. email me and give me a week and ill see if i cant dig it up for you. as far as the dealer, from what ive learned working at alarm shops, they will probably not be as helpful as you would like...

Quick Reply: Got It! (Finally!) Have Questions: