993 Forum 1995-1998

12 Volt wiring Source needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 04:55 PM
hobbes45
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 12 Volt wiring Source needed

I just purchased a self powered subwoofer (Bazooka el8a-hp). I am putting it in the back seat area.

The manufacturer suggests running a 12 volt lead directly from the battery to the unit. This seems like a long way to go. I don't know how I would get the wire thru to the passenger area.

Or, is there a 12 Volt source somewhere inside the passenger compartment I coulf tap in to? I know there is already a factory installed amp under the passenger seat but all I see there are about 30 wires in a harness going into the amp.

Does anyone have the wiring schematics for the factory installed AMP (8 SPEAKER SYSTEM)?

tHANKS, hOBBES
Old 03-31-2002, 11:59 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts
Hobbes;

A good quick source would be your power seat terminal under your drivers or passenger seat. Take the passenger one because that one will be used less. Make sure you put a inline fuse in. How many amps does it draw?
Old 04-01-2002, 12:31 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hobbes:

The manufacturer's recommendation to run a 12 volt lead right from the tube to the battery is a good one. I don't think it's best to run that power amp off of an existing circuit. Plus, an uninterupted power source direct from the battery gives the most output from an amp.

The EL Series Bazooka tubes have a 100 watt amp in them and include a 7.5 amp fuse. This relatively small load (vs. a high output/multiple amp setup) probably wouldn't cause too much of a problem on a power seat circuit, but to be safe, see if you can get that 12v lead to the battery.

Good Luck,
Jay
Old 04-01-2002, 12:46 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hobbes
I agree w/Jay - it would be best to get a good clean power connection. It really is not too difficult to run a wire from the back seat area, through the console, and into the trunk using one of the existing rubber, wire bushings & to the fuse box.
Old 04-01-2002, 02:43 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts
Hobbes;

With a load of less than 7.5 amps (Thanks Jay), tap the X37,38 connector under the seat. (left or Right). Grab the power off of pin 8, you have 30 amps of safe clean current. If you do not want to do this run a lead to the battery, do not run it to the fuse box to do a splice. I have the wiring diagrams, email me if you still need them.
Old 04-01-2002, 06:29 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FWIW, the Bazooka website current consumption specs for the EL8A-hp are:
[quote]Max 15 Amps
@ Rated power 9 Amps
@ Idle 150 mA
@ Standby .05 mA<hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://216.74.18.2/bazooka/elseries_tube.shtml" target="_blank">

Bazooka Amplified Bass Tubes
</a>
Old 04-01-2002, 10:10 PM
hobbes45
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Thanks all. I have decided to try the easy way first and tap into the passenger seat power supply as suggested by Kevin.

If the result is poor I will try to get a wire to the battery directly (where in the trunk would I find a pass-thru - I looked behind the fuse box and found only a one inch thich wiring harness going into the passenger compartment).

Kevin, I have emailed you for the schematics - thanks, Hobbes

Quick Reply: 12 Volt wiring Source needed