Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: How long does a speeding ticket stay on your license in Pennsylvania?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 10:40 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OT: How long does a speeding ticket stay on your license in Pennsylvania?

Tried googling the answer but kept on getting sites on trying to beat tickets.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:59 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Rezal,

Have you tried contacting your DMV?
Old 04-22-2004, 11:03 PM
Tom Mazz
Instructor

Rezal,
Did you just recieve the ticket? If so in what township?
Old 04-22-2004, 11:06 PM
Simon Shearer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rezal:

Tsk, tsk...!
Old 04-22-2004, 11:12 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

What? Me? Get another ticket?

I just don't like having that stigma on my license. It just makes me more liable for another one, as opposed to just getting a warning.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:23 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Rezal,

If you go to court and fight it, you may be issued probation before judgment. In MD, if you keep your nose clean for two years, you can expunge your record and then not have your infractions show up when a police officer runs your license or when a judge pulls you up on the computer. I've been doing this for about fifteen years and have been able to fly with very little "turbulence".
Old 04-23-2004, 12:07 AM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I'm going to court with this one. Actually, even the officer recommended it. Supposedly the judge in the area is pretty lenient. He said that they can work it out so that I don't get any points. I'll believe it when I see it but even if I don't get points, the ticket will still show up on my record. Two tickets in three months after 10 years of none is a major bummer (and I wasn't driving like Grandma either). Maybe it's history catching up on me!

My fault. I was trying to get to a store before they closed at 9pm in my Audi which does not have the V-1 (I'm usually pretty good in the Audi since it doesn't go very fast anyway, and when it does, it's not as fun).

Tom:
I was nailed doing 82 in a 55, on I-76N, right before the King of Prussia exit (1 more mile I would've been free!). Oh, the ticket was $176, enough for 4 OEM brake pads...or 18 cans of ATE blue...or one rear tire...
Old 04-23-2004, 08:15 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

I thought that every year 2 pts. are taken off your "penalty sum". Could be wrong.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:47 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i thought it stayed on someones license 3 years. i would check with your insurance agent, or have a friend check for you. of course there are classes that take away the points.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:10 AM
Tom Mazz
Instructor

Rezal, was it Tradrifrin township? If thats how its spelled. If so plead guilty but work out a deal for no points or go in not guilty and appeal if you don't win. Usually an appeal will get you a smaller fine with no points. Good luck, can't stand that township
Old 04-23-2004, 12:39 PM
Billy W
Racer

I am not sure about PA but here in NC I got caught doing 75 in a 45 and got a lawyer, he had it reduced to improper equipment. I had to pay $50 and the ticket never went on my insurance. It might be worth it for you to look into. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:29 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rezal, I have a LOT of traffic court experience in PA, albeit usually around Pittsburgh. Most of those little kangaroo court magistrates just want your money and don't care about points or punishing you. Actually, they like recidivism, so they can double-dip in your wallet later on. They remind me of the bridge trolls in pre-30 Years War Germany, wanting to collect tolls when you cross through their turf.

Only time I ever got hammered by the judge was when I was so pissed I decided to really fight this little fiefdom system, appealed and got a date downtown and then cross-examined the cop (who showed up late and didn't remember me at all). I totally did not make the illegal lane change they accused me of doing and the cop even admitted he was looking right into the sun and I was over 1000 ft. away when he "saw" this. But I got convicted. Everyone else walked (one for passing stopped school bus, one caught speeding twice by same cop on same night, one blew off order to show proof of insurance within a week of ticket, etc.).

Usually, the cop will come talk with you before you're called and offer you reduced fine with no points if you confess your crimes and denounce all other subversives. Take whatever they offer you and then, when their charity calls and hits you up for a donation, tell 'em you gave at the office.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:40 PM
Agro1
Banned

Don't take it as a personal attack, it's just my .02 - But you got popped, you admit that, so pay the fine and don't waste the court's time. Many times, a judge will throw the book at you if he thinks you're wasting his time. Plus, the cop may have told you to go to court cause he knew the judge would hammer you. I don't care how nice he may have been, I'd question his motives...

Last edited by Agro1; 04-23-2004 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:15 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This post brings up an interesting scenario. I have a scanner and listen to it very little but when I do I can hear conversations between officers and dispachers. The only question about somebody's License should be if it is valid, not suspended ,revoked, etc. Instead you get a running history about the driver's infractions. I think this is wrong and predisposes an officer's judgement when dealing with many situations. My only hope is to hear that some driver has been cited for driving too slow in the left lane!!!!!!!!!!Just imagine the lack of deaths, injury, and road rage that would solve!!Outside boston they are warning people to only pass in Left Lane and I hear Colorado has some new rules=Halllelluah!

Quick Reply: OT: How long does a speeding ticket stay on your license in Pennsylvania?