Changing/Flushing Power Steering Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 06:53 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Changing/Flushing Power Steering Fluid

Has anyone ever done this? I've done a search and can't find any topics on this subject.

With the problems I've read about leaking racks and all, I thought it might be a good practice to replace this fluid as a maintenance item, but I can't find info on this.

So if you've done this, is it a relatively easy or difficult job?
Old 04-19-2004, 07:43 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

My solution to flushing the fluid was to wait til it all leaked out then refill. Worked like a charm!
Old 04-19-2004, 07:47 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

LOL...

that's what I'm trying to avoid by having some fresh fluid in there.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:28 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kim
There have been past threads, but they may have been lost in the last board upgrade. Anyway, yes IMO flushing is a good practice. When I've done it, I use a large syringe w/a length of vinyl hose to suck out as much of the old stuff as possible from the reservoir (just below the oil dipstick). You could also use a turkey baster. I then top it up w/Pentosin CHF 11S (synthetic). After a few hundred miles I repeat the process & just did it again, coincidentally, yesterday. You can't drain the entire system this way, but I figure over time it'll be mostly changed.

Old 04-19-2004, 08:56 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dan,

I was sort of hoping to find something along the lines of disconnecting a hose somewhere and running the ps system to flush out the old stuff with some fresh fluid.

I did this back when I owned a BMW 325 and it made a world of difference as the old fluid looked pretty rank. I know the fluid can't last forever and am surprised there is no maintenance called for on this.

Your way sounds okay as something to do, but would still prefer to be able to dump it all at once.

I assume the only recommended fluid to use is the Pentosin and no other fluid is recommended or experimented with? I used Redline ATF, if I'm remembering corretly and like I said, it worked fine in the BMW system.

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:29 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we ended up doing an unexpected flush this weekend at the track..

band clamp vibrated loose... self purged real quick... LOL
Old 04-19-2004, 09:31 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I siphoned the canister of fluid out a couple of times over a couple of days. I am sure I did not get all the old fluid out, but there was definitely a difference with cleaner fluid. For 96 and above Pentosin is the fluid recommended by Porsche.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:51 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by ceboyd
we ended up doing an unexpected flush this weekend at the track..

band clamp vibrated loose... self purged real quick... LOL

hmmm.... exactly where is that clamp located? may be the connection I'm looking for to purge the system.

mo- so you did what Dan was suggesting? when you say there was a difference, do you mean the steering feel improved?
Old 04-19-2004, 11:30 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by mo
... For 96 and above Pentosin is the fluid recommended by Porsche.
Hmmm I didn't know that. After doing a little research it looks like Porsche says you can top off earlier cars with Pentosin, but if Pentosin is spec'd, then you shouldn't use ATF Dextron (which was used prior). Moral of the story: use only Pentosin on a 993!
Old 04-20-2004, 12:51 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by kkim
hmmm.... exactly where is that clamp located? may be the connection I'm looking for to purge the system.

take off the housing for the air filter and you can see it right there
Old 04-20-2004, 01:05 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Chris.

Old 04-20-2004, 02:20 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

What have you guys been using to get the Pentosin into the reserviour? I find it a royal pain in the a** to do that especially if I don't bother to take the air cleaner housing off.

You can't get the can in there for sure. I guess you can use a funnel with a length of clear tubing...any other ideas? Oh, I have also used a large spoon which worked ok to top it up.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:37 AM
deleonl1
Racer

Wow, I didn't know 993s used the same power steering fluid as my Saab 900S, which I actually just flushed the fluid this past weekend using the Turkey Baster method. I removed as much fluid from the power steering fluid container as I could and replaced with fresh fluid. Drove around the next day running errands and other stuff and did the same flush again in the evening. And then I did the same thing the next day. I have the 1 litre can and was able to flush three times and have some leftover for topups. I probably could have flushed a fourth time.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:43 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by deleonl1
Wow, I didn't know 993s used the same power steering fluid as my Saab 900S, which I actually just flushed the fluid this past weekend using the Turkey Baster method. I removed as much fluid from the power steering fluid container as I could and replaced with fresh fluid. Drove around the next day running errands and other stuff and did the same flush again in the evening. And then I did the same thing the next day. I have the 1 litre can and was able to flush three times and have some leftover for topups. I probably could have flushed a fourth time.
wait, it gets worse.. We have SAAB parts in the engine bay...

Just open the lid and look to the right.. along the right side where you put the oil in but below it... towards the bottom towards the bumper on the side.... Clearly written on what appears to be a connection relay or something like that it has SAAB stamped in the plastic.

Old 04-23-2004, 08:16 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anyone have a good online source for the Pentosin? Can't find it locally.

Quick Reply: Changing/Flushing Power Steering Fluid