Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How is Hagerty when making a claim?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 03:23 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a friend who had a badly damaged 993 insured with Hagerty. horrible experience. had to pay an attorney $10K to resolve the case. I wouldn't insure a bike with them....

recently a company has been insuring cars under the Porsche label with very attractive rates, etc. only problem is they are only in a few states so far. But if they will write you - early response with them has been very good...
Old 01-03-2022, 04:03 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 238 Posts

I’ve been with Heacock for a number of years with good customer service and fair pricing. They have the 993 and 997. American Modern is the underwriter. Both cars are AV of $100k and usual restrictions - not an issue for me. About $1100 per vehicle. But am in Upstate NY where the only threat are the deer.
Old 01-03-2022, 06:28 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 293 Posts

I have nationwide private client insurance with replacement coverage- it's like $ 1,200 a year- but they are AWESOME. I dodged a deer 2 years ago and put the car in the ditch- minor damage- small dent in rear fender and broken grill up front, but they went through everything and I did a ton of additional work to bring the car into PERFECT condition. Oh and a bent rim- so they replaced all of the wheels as I couldn't find an exact match wide body hollow spoke wheel.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:42 PM
Turbofan911
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had Hagerty for about 4 years: 3 years with a classic Saab 900 and one year with both the Saab and my 993.

No claims until this past November when a tool or other object fell from a truck in front of me onto my 993's bumper as we went over a bridge at night. It was easy to file the claim on Hagerty's website and that was as good as it got.

Their claims portal had broken links to pages that were to describe the claims process. So, I called the claims rep that was assigned to my claim in their portal. Played phone tag with him for a few days. Then the same with his manager.

Decided to just take the car to my favorite body shop to get an estimate. They sent their estimate and photos to Hagerty. About a week later, Hagerty's third party adjuster called the body shop and told them they wanted to replace the bumper instead of repair and spec'd a bumper that was not the same as mine. Said they could replace for less than the cost of repair. Shop owner has Hagerty for his collection and said he's never been treated so rudely by an adjuster and is now questioning his own coverage.

I finally got in touch with another Hagerty manager to discuss the bumper issue and the fact that their adjuster's estimate revision also did not include replacement of the PPF. They said they'd discuss with their adjuster and to get them a quote for the PPF. Next day, I receive a check in the mail for their adjuster's original revised estimate... well short of the needed bumper repair/replacement cost and of course missing the PPF.

I haven't cashed the check yet and now it's on me to follow up with them again to see how they'll resolve the $ difference due to bumper and PPF.

So, my claims experience has not been good so far. Will let you know how it works out.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:10 AM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbofan911
I've had Hagerty for about 4 years: 3 years with a classic Saab 900 and one year with both the Saab and my 993.

No claims until this past November when a tool or other object fell from a truck in front of me onto my 993's bumper as we went over a bridge at night. It was easy to file the claim on Hagerty's website and that was as good as it got.

Their claims portal had broken links to pages that were to describe the claims process. So, I called the claims rep that was assigned to my claim in their portal. Played phone tag with him for a few days. Then the same with his manager.

Decided to just take the car to my favorite body shop to get an estimate. They sent their estimate and photos to Hagerty. About a week later, Hagerty's third party adjuster called the body shop and told them they wanted to replace the bumper instead of repair and spec'd a bumper that was not the same as mine. Said they could replace for less than the cost of repair. Shop owner has Hagerty for his collection and said he's never been treated so rudely by an adjuster and is now questioning his own coverage.

I finally got in touch with another Hagerty manager to discuss the bumper issue and the fact that their adjuster's estimate revision also did not include replacement of the PPF. They said they'd discuss with their adjuster and to get them a quote for the PPF. Next day, I receive a check in the mail for their adjuster's original revised estimate... well short of the needed bumper repair/replacement cost and of course missing the PPF.

I haven't cashed the check yet and now it's on me to follow up with them again to see how they'll resolve the $ difference due to bumper and PPF.

So, my claims experience has not been good so far. Will let you know how it works out.
Do not deposit or cash the insurers check. Depositing or cashing the check constitutes acceptance and settlement of your claim.
I hope that I helped.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:09 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

A friend has an RS 4.0 which he bought new, some of these cars have auctioned at $500K to $600K.

If it were insured for that much money, I bet it would be very hard to get any insurance company to total the car.

A lot of repair can be done at these levels of financial play and what would you have in the end but a car that should have had a salvage title if in a normal insurance market.
Old 01-04-2022, 06:42 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 974 Likes on 634 Posts

No claims until this past November when a tool or other object fell from a truck in front of me onto my 993's bumper as we went over a bridge at night. It was easy to file the claim on Hagerty's website and that was as good as it got...
this is very unfortunate to hear. obviously, all of our worst nightmares would be an accident that requires the car to be rebuilt on a significant level. i'd prefer an outright total instead.

i don't like hearing that hagerty is fighting on quality of materials, correct parts, and attempting to save money on their end doing something incorrectly. of course, we are talking about an insurance company after all.

would like to hear how this resolves itself.

Old 01-04-2022, 09:00 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 351 Likes on 189 Posts

General street-rep for Hagerty is that they charge the highest premiums but honor claims w/ relatively few questions.
If the experience described above is a one-off, it happens to any insurer.
If Hagerty is becoming another Progressive/Geico/Nationwide/General..., then that's bad news.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:14 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mdude
General street-rep for Hagerty is that they charge the highest premiums but honor claims w/ relatively few questions.
If the experience described above is a one-off, it happens to any insurer.
If Hagerty is becoming another Progressive/Geico/Nationwide/General..., then that's bad news.
Well, they're a public company now and with that facet comes additional concerns like maximizing shareholder value...
Old 01-04-2022, 10:44 PM
Turbofan911
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

1/4/2022 update:
Talked to yet another Hagerty claims rep this afternoon (got VM when I called my assigned rep). Explained my situation again, she put me on hold to research, came back several minutes later to say they would issue a supplemental payment to cover the bumper cost difference... progress!

When I asked about a supplemental for the PPF quote, she said my claims rep would need to talk to the third party adjuster (from Ace?), and they would get back to me in a few days.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:09 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

1/4/2022 update:
Talked to yet another Hagerty claims rep this afternoon (got VM when I called my assigned rep). Explained my situation again, she put me on hold to research, came back several minutes later to say they would issue a supplemental payment to cover the bumper cost difference... progress!

When I asked about a supplemental for the PPF quote, she said my claims rep would need to talk to the third party adjuster (from Ace?), and they would get back to me in a few days.
Sounds better. What is PPF?
Old 01-04-2022, 11:31 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 90 Posts

As Stace referenced above, and others have experienced, Hagerty is an expensive rip. The company may have been better in past times?
Those who live in Ill, GA, AZ, OR, OH- do yourselves a favor and look up Porsche Auto Insurance, take out a policy. You're missing out. They're expanding to other states.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:45 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Twilightblue28A
Sounds better. What is PPF?
Paint Protection Film like Xpel- 3M - Suntec etc

Never liked Hagerty, always heard issues

Quick Reply: How is Hagerty when making a claim?