OT: London

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 04:06 PM
AGC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: London

This is to all the UK folks,
I was in London last week for business and will be going back in a few weeks for a month. I will be bringing my wife and son (10 month old) with me so we can do some sight seeing on the weekends. We will have approximately three weekends and would like to visit Paris, but would also like to know where else to go. We will be doing the London things after work, but would like to visit more places such as any of the European contries. Any suggestions on places to go and also how to get there. I have heard of taking the train to Paris, but did not confirm anything yet.

Thanks
AC
Old 04-15-2004, 04:27 PM
volpenyc
Pro

Definitely take the chunnel & visit Paris....Also try to make time for the south of France (try taking the TGV down to Lyon & Nice).
Old 04-15-2004, 05:14 PM
AGC
Racer

George,

What is the TVG and chunnel and how can I get more info on it
Old 04-15-2004, 05:30 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AC,

The chunnel is the tunnel that goes underneath the English Channel; it's about 30 miles long & I think 23 miles of it is underwater - it's amazing.
The TGV stands for Train à Grande Vitesse and is the French high speed train and travels upwards of 175-200mph (not sure of the exact number).
Paris is a must do - there's a lot of things to do in the city and the subway system is very helpful in getting around to see different things.
George's recommendation to go to Southern France is spot on - here's some of the favorite places I've been that would warrant some research to determine what you want to do:
Cannes, France
Switzerland (ie. Zurich, Geneva, Bern, Basel, Luzern, St. Moritz, Interlaken)
Germany (ie. Frieburg, Stuttgard)
Italy (ie. Florence, Milan, Venice, Naples, Pompeii, Palermo, Tuscany)
Holland (ie. Madurodam - lot of fun for kids)
Enjoy your time,
Rick
Old 04-15-2004, 06:13 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

AC

I'm not from the UK, but have done the trip several times for pleasure-business doesn't count. You can book reservations to Paris on the EuroStar high speed train which goes through the channel tunnel (Chunnel) on line or through any travel agent. It is a great view of the country assuming you take it during daylight hours. Commuter flights to various locations that were mentioned above are also extremely affordable.

IMO driving isn't bad after you leave the London metro area, just remember what side you are to drive on and where to go when you turn. You will need an endorsement which is just a phone call or through a travel agent.

We used the London area as a base and went out from there-too many things to see in England for any length of stay, but (and with appoligies to the Brits for misspelllings and grammar errors-Stratford on Avon, Oxford and Cambridge, Stonehenge, and the countryside in general are fantastic. Of course you have a lifetime worth of things to do in and around London or Paris.

Have fun and look to the right.

Al
Old 04-15-2004, 06:43 PM
nman413
Drifting

Amsterdam.

Oh wait. You have your wife and kid. Nevermind

Stonehenge and Bath were fun to see. Not much in Bristol or Newbury. There's Legoland near Windsor so you could hit those two at the same time

And of course, there's a bunch of stuff to do in London.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:35 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

It's very hard to say what you will like without knowing your taste. Do you want to see ancient architecture? Good weather? Cultural events? Great food? High technology? Natural beauty?

You might like Copenhagen. Zurich is also a great city. Vienna is very beautiful in a stately way. I hear great things about Prague. They are all a 90 minute flight from one of London's airports.

Tuscany is hard to beat, especially if you rent a car to get around. Siena in particular is breathtaking.

Within England, I recommend Bath, Cambridge and Oxford (both within a few hours' drive or easy access by bus) or if you are prepared to go further, try Leeds.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Hi AC,

My wife and I are planning on going to Paris/London this coming June as well. We're looking forward to that trip...

I'm excited to go to the Goodwood Festival of Speed in late June
Old 04-15-2004, 09:14 PM
TGP
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am surprised that no one suggested Rome. History around every corner and great food and wine!

Not sure how long you are going be in the UK but there is a lot of things to do in and around London...also Scotland and Ireland are beautiful in the late summer.

Waterloo Station in the heart of London is the UK home of the Eurostar.
http://www.eurostar.com/dctm/jsp/index.jsp
If you book early and shop it can be VERY reasonable..(depending on the time of year)

Driving is not really an issue and rates are excellent. A car is much more economical than the train rates especially if you are more than one.

London is really alive these days you will have a great time!

Tim
Old 04-15-2004, 09:27 PM
Pete K
Pro

HEY! I've been to london 3 times and was not impressed, of course I have yet to get out of the airport.....

Pete
Old 04-15-2004, 09:31 PM
james993
Intermediate

I'm currently living in London (I know my location says MI, but that is where I am going back to!). The above advice is all right on the mark. Train service is often very convenient to get around with. The biggest issue here is trying to decide what to do. Europe is huge; so it is very similar to someone asking: "I am going to the US, what should I do?"

Major recommendation from me. Spend some time hanging around in Chelsea/South Kensington/Mayfair. Porsche 993 Heaven! I must see 15 a day... 2 on the street outside my house. Hence my complete addiction even though I don't currently own a 993.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:00 PM
ingo777
Instructor

If you had the time I would opt for Florence... a lovely place also not too far from Venice... either by plane to Florence or romantic night train from Munich... btw also a nice place to visit! But definitely Paris!
Old 04-15-2004, 10:18 PM
solsrch
Pro

I'm with Graham, what do you like? That is the critical starting point. Big picture, IMHO, London has even more to offer than most folks realize. Call me dense but I think of it as historic, not the place for modern art - yet I loved the Tate and saw a fantastic Dali exhibit right by the Eye. Of course, I also enjoyed Greenwich, to straddle the Meridian and see the clocks (read the book first). Never been to Paris, I can live anyway. I'm a fan of Italy and Germany. I think Venice is fantastic (not just because of the Guggenheim or the canals, it is the feel of the place), Rome is stunning. Germany/Bavaria, how can you not have fun there? Southern Italy and Coastal Spain, (is there a prettier place on earth?) Whatever you do and whatever you like, most of Europe loves kids, so rest assured people will be helpful, not standoffish because of your little one. Make sure you eat and drink! It is not the time to watch your diet, just enjoy!! Without more specifics that should do it for me, unless you need someone to carry your bags for you
Old 04-15-2004, 10:20 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If in England, I would suggest a drive to the Cotswolds and a stay in a B&B. I believe it must be the most quaint in Britain. They have a very cool car museum there - a fellow from South Africa collected British sports cars and he stores them in a couple of large, old garages. Quite a few British Leyland and Jaguars, all original. A couple of the antiques are his daily drivers. From the Cotswolds a day trip to Wales is very interesting - the town names can not be pronounced by an outsider.

London has the best theatre. They sell half price tickets in Leicester Square. Matinees are fun and the most reasonable.

I may be the lone dissenter concerning the Chunnel. 25 miles of tunnel with a couple of miles of scenery at either end? And it is way over priced. A commuter plane is $75 round trip or better yet, take a ferry across. One dark tunnel looks like the next to me.

Dave
Old 04-16-2004, 11:05 AM
volpenyc
Pro

The chunnel is very practical. You can take the Eurostar train from Waterloo Station in London, and arrive at the Gare du Nord in Paris.

The TGV (Train a Grand Vitesse) is the french "bullet train". I might suggest looking into a Euro-Rail pass. I would also suggest the Eurail Pass; this is train pass that allows to go on virtually any train in western Europe for 15, 21 or 30 days. There are some exceptions (first class supplements, etc.) but it is generally the best deal you can get if you want to travel via train.

I lived in Europe for 14 years, the trains are very practical, timely and generally very clean (as opposed to our local Amtrack).

Quick Reply: OT: London