Sponsored by:

'95 purch price

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 01:40 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default '95 purch price

Was wondering if those of you who have purchased a '95 993 C2 coupe (6spd) in the past 18mos would give me an idea of what you paid (if you don't mind, I won't tell the IRS), what the miles were, the condition in your opinion (average, good, excellent) and what city you purchased your 993. This will help me (and others I'm sure) determine albeit in a relatively small focus group compared to the entire 993 market, what these cars are actually selling for. If yours is an S-model, cabrio, C4 or heavily modded car it probably isn't the best to compare. Just stock or close to it '95 C2 6spd coupe's. This will really help me weed out the crack smoking sellers from those who are being reasonable so I can make my "fair" offer on a car and stop asking all these annoying value/price questions!
Thanks
Old 04-15-2004, 01:51 PM
Chris L
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Paid $31k for a '95 C2 with 41k last September. Black on black partial leather, with LSD, rear wiper, heated seats and 17" cups. Very clean, no dings, but not absolutely perfect. Had brand new PZero Systems and fresh alignment. Put $1k in minor stuff (parts only, all diy) after I had time to go through it. Still needs shocks and check strap fix.

Chris.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:02 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paid $33.5 for 95' C2 6-speed Guards red/black, LSD, ABD, heated seats, cruise, sunroof, electric mirrors with 51,000 miles. Excellent condition. Perfect paint, exterior 9.5/10 interior 9.5/10 extras were 18" turbo twists, new Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's european taillights, RSR gear shift, Welmeister chip, invinca shield, Big Red Brakes, and Turbo S air ducts. Bought in November 2003 from the state of WA. Had to shell out another $800 for enclosed delivery though, to IL. Bought when the market was down, winter weather, and motivated seller. FYI, he started at $38.5 on Autotrader. I think I got lucky, especially for the extra tasteful mods to boot.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:02 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Chris. Sounds like a sweet ride. Was the car purchased in Arlington, VA? When you say "not absolutely perfect" do you think the environment was a factor (winter driving etc) or just an owner who didn't spend alot of time/$ on maintenance?
Old 04-15-2004, 02:06 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Jdoc, that definately sounds like a great deal with all the extras. Did the owner say how long he had been trying to sell the car before you came along? Did you offer him -$5K right off the bat or was there some involved negotiations to get your price?
Old 04-15-2004, 02:34 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought a 95 polar silver coupe in January from a fellow rennlister for $33.5K. It had higher mileage (73K), but great service history and a recent clutch/flywheel. Exterior/Interior were both 9/10. Extras included: 18" turbo twists w/ new Dunlop SP9000s, turbo front bumper with "S" ducts/foglights, front strut tower bar, RSR exhaust, factory motorsound with BMC filter, Katz HID lights, and factory techequipment shift **** and e-brake handle. The car also came with 4 new pads and rotors, which are probably worth $1000. I bought it in Detroit, and had it shipped to Nashville in an enclosed truck. I probably paid top dollar, but I bought it in winter when there weren't many cars available and I had to have polar silver over black. I also didn't care about miles as much as service history, as I plan to drive the car and would rather not feel bad about it. The car had so many cool goods that I knew I could buy it and jump right into the fun stuff...like suspension, etc.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:55 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Brendan, any buyer's remorse at that price vs. mileage? I think if it was exactly what you were looking for that was a good price but at 75K on the clock I suppose you have to be fairly confident in the car's reliability which it seems you were. I don't know how much a new turbo/S-type front end costs but I'm guessing I'd pay a ton for that if I buy one with a stock front end and change it over. It's looking like the cars with a few extra mods like yours go for about $2k higher than fully stock ones, but most of the cars I've been calling on advertised around $34-35K don't seem to have any records or evidence of new brakes clutches etc. Without records or significant proof of reg service and maint. I simply won't buy. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:08 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bought a 95 993 back in november (right before thanksgiving) for $29K

Speed Yellow w/RSR mufflers, Limited Slip with ABD, M030 Suspension, factory full leather interior, big brake upgrade, upgraded aluminum shift **** and matching hand brake, silver face guages, special optioned steering wheel, plus massive sound system (aftermarket - later sold off in pieces) ..it had 90K miles but was obviously well loved/cared for with all 100% porsche parts with the interior in amazing condition for the mileage.
...never in an accident either

Now HIS fun car and track car (I had the 993 already when I met him and he decided he wanted his own after years of driving mine at autocross events --- see I'm a female enthusiast who showed him the joys of Porsche ownership)
Old 04-15-2004, 04:41 PM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guess I'm going to come in with the highest figure.

I paid $35,5k back in early February. Car was in overall mint condition with only 40k miles, but the 18" Turbo Twist wheels needed to be touched up. I had them sent out to be powder-coated (at $150/wheel), which was well worth it.

The car also has an after-market Sony stereo with MB Quartz speakers and a custom Clifford alarm system.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Arcticfox003
Track Day

Default 1995 C2

9 months ago, 1995 C2 blk/blk 78k in PA with LSD Cups full leather blaupunkt pirelli zeros for $30k, ended up needing clutch/flywheel at 89k which I figured on. Did not figure on CEL errors and carbon buildup cleanout for $2k.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:58 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

2ndof2

One of the most important questions is whether the new owner had a PPI for previous paintwork. Previous paintwork 993s can be found for cheaper than dirt.

Good luck in your search!!
Old 04-15-2004, 05:24 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Jim,
Point taken. I figure that anyone who says their car was "below average" condition would probably say why or not respond to this inquiry at all. I had spoke with a guy in San Diego who had a 993 that my friend took a look at for me. It had a smashed up front bumper and was all bent out of shape underneath. The paint was in below average condition overall, wheels were all curb rashed and no evidence of motor maintenance was available. If the outward appearance of the car was any indication on how he maintained the mechanical aspects of the car it was a no-go from the start. He even had the yarbles to say he treats the car like his daughter (who he says he named "carerra")....as if that showed just how well he kept the car.....his poor daughter! The car had about 50,000 miles on it if memory serves. He probably sold it for around $23-25K since he was moving back to Japan. My friend said I'd probably be buying a headache with that one. The seller had been asking around $30K and swiftly dropped the price once we started discussing condition. I am not in the market for a car that will require alot of repair work. I simply do not have the time to deal with many big dollar, long down time issues. Most of these responses show me cars that needed little and in fact show some fairly high dollar replacement items. Any car with previous crash history or fender benders is certainly out of the question and NOT a car I would consider in my comparison. I'll transfer this info onto a spreadsheet if I get enough replies and then try to find some coorelation between miles, condition, recent big $ maintenance items, mods, and geographic location.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:30 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

2ndof2-

If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing. My advise to you is if money is of concern, go with a car with a little bit higher mileage and good records. I would rather have an original, well-maintained car with 75K on the clock than a questionable car with no records with 1/3 of the mileage. It may be a little bit harder to find, but it is worth it when you do. If you are interested in doing some mods to the car, try to find a car that has some done already. As you pointed out, $6 or $7K worth of mods are only worth a couple of grand premium, if that (meaning that many people look for virgin, unmodded cars), so it is worth your while to buy exactly what you want.

Also, as jw97C2s pointed out, be sure to get a PPI to check for both mechanical issues and previous paintwork.

Good luck. YOUR car is out there somewhere right now- be sure and take the time to find it!
Old 04-15-2004, 06:17 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

2ndof2

The problem with people rating their own cars is that if they are not knowledgable about previous paintwork and haven't had a PPI then their car may "appear" to be in great condition because of the "shiny" new paint. Over the years I've read many Rennlisters who have purchased 993s they thought were in great shape (without a PPI) only to later learn that the 993 was previously wrecked.

Also, the latest trend on Rennlist seems to be to post a "great deal" on a 993 someone noticed. The last great deal I recall turned out to be a salvage title car. Good Luck in your search!!
Old 04-15-2004, 06:29 PM
jjguitarranch

Rennlist Member

2ndof2

Please send me a PM with the data when you are finished collecting information.

Quick Reply: '95 purch price