'95 purch price

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 06:48 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

o.k.

I keep seeing references to repaint being bad..

What if someone just wanted to get rid of all the stone chips and wear from an 8 year old paint job and got the whole thing repainted and it looks better than factory paintwork now?

I realize repaint usually is to hide an accident but folks DO repaint for other reasons..

Why does a repaint when not due to an accident devalue a 993 anyway?
I would think it helps keep the value because of paint being in better condition, less stone chips, more vibrant, etc.????
Old 04-15-2004, 11:40 PM
Chris L
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

2ndof2-

What I meant by that was that it needed some tlc -- typical minor repairs like both fan resistors, spoiler wall, check strap, clutch slave and master cylinders, kinematic lever, one new front drop link and hood struts. It needs new shocks, but I'm going to wait a bit before replacing those. It has a few scrapes on the bumpers (mostly on the front underside, be sure to check there!) that don't bother me, but keep it from being perfect.

I don't think the climate/environment had much to do with it, more that the previous owner took it to the dealer for all its service, and they didn't have the same attention to detail that a real enthusiast would have. They did an inspection in July, before I bought it, and only noted the spoiler wall and rear shocks. They missed all the other things.

And, yes, I bought it locally in Northern Virginia.

Chris.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:12 AM
Raceit
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread!

Just posting for updates.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:23 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

ceboyd

There is nothing wrong with respraying a front bumper for rock chips as long as the work is well documented and professionally performed. The problem is that sellers will claim a repaint for rock chips or a "scratch" when the car was involved in an accident. Without documentation, I would pass on it.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:57 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is about 1995's but I'll tell you what I paid for my low mileage (17k) 1996 C2. But first, it had all the options I wanted, the color I was looking for in and out, had great mx records, good PPI, fresh tires (but they were continentals-ugh). My front bumper was re-sprayed due to stone chips (documented). I bought this car 10 months ago from RPM-rarely see a 993 C2 on that site (most 993's are S models at RPM). Now for the part that will make some of you laugh or gasp. I paid absolute top dollar: $45,500. I had looked at many other cars but none had the options I wanted exactly and none were in this condition-pristine. I know there were others out there and if I kept on looking, I probably could have saved money. But after 9 months of searching, this was the car for me.
I might be considered a 'fool with his money' but I am one happy fool!

chuck
Old 04-16-2004, 11:45 AM
Nemick42
Instructor

It seems to me, especially after doing significant research into prices for these cars, that there is no 'average' price. Nor is there an 'average' car. Unlike most of the ordinary other makes out there, the prices on our cars seem to be all over the place and they seem to be predicated more on location than on condition. Even looking at the prices listed above, it can be seen that there is a significant variance in prices and each car is pretty much worth what someone will pay for it.
One of the things that I think is quite unique to our cars, is the fact that there are so many acceptable, even desirable, modifications. Porsche seems to be quite alone in the market when it comes to offering factory upgrades which enable the owner to make the car unique.
Plus, other than a few atypical issues, these cars are virtually bullet proof and a higher mileage is seldom a pointer to condition, mainly because most who can afford them tend to be enthusiasts or so keen on the marque that they look after them well. Naturally, there will always be some cars that have been abused along the way, but I also feel that our cars are better able to withstand abuse than most. Ultimately, if one is able to find the car that makes them look back at it every time they climb out, buy it!
I guarantee that within a couple of months or weeks of buying your dream car, someone will tell of a better deal, but that's just life and all that really matters at the end of the day is that you will have been living the dream instead of waiting for it.

I hope I didn't offend anyone, just my two cents worth.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:00 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Well - to "be the bottom of the bell curve"......

I bought a '95 C4 in - well - "poor condition". Nothing major - but, not a concours queen. 114,000 miles - and no, the car had never been in an accident, but it was re-sprayed (a very good job, BTW..).

Paid $16,000 for it - BUT, before you shoot me for paying too much - that price also included a terrific set of Cup wheels with new Dunlop snows (which are now on Jen's car...).
Old 04-16-2004, 12:04 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

And just how often does John get to be the bottom of the bell curve?
Old 04-16-2004, 04:51 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 546 Posts

John,
You beat my price. I paid $19,000 for a '95' C2 one owner daily driver with 75K on the odo. LSD/ABD/Partial Leather/Prem Sound/Roof and a few other items. Came with two sets of wheels one of which is a set of 18" 3 pc. BBS Classics. Runs with 5 bar oil pressure at 2500 rpm's on the highway. No tranny or engine issues.

How far do you think we shifted the bell curve?
Old 04-16-2004, 05:31 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

boo hoo..
I'd jump at paying $16K for a c4 WITH snow tires... that would be such a fun winter car instead of my bugaboo!
Old 04-16-2004, 06:44 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally posted by Alan C.
J....How far do you think we shifted the bell curve?
Well - as an "indicator" - when you start getting the "hate" mail for de-valuing the re-sale value of all 993 owners worldwide - then, I'd say we effected the "bell curve" somewhat successfully
Old 04-16-2004, 08:08 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Does that make John D the official Bell Curve adjuster for HWFM racing?
Old 04-16-2004, 08:45 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally posted by Alfie
Does that make John D the official Bell Curve adjuster for HWFM racing?
Bet your butt. Not only am I the slowest dude in town - I'm definately the "cheapest".....
Old 04-16-2004, 09:01 PM
Ms Kita
Addict
Rennlist Member

I purchased 95 C4, $35K in Feb of this year. GR six speed, 66k miles, new tires, brake pads and wheels. Chip and upgrade radio, 60K mile service performed. Exterior, not bad (few chips), clean Carfax rap sheet . "Appears" well maintained with very good records. Records indicated rebuild "rack" installed 3 months prior. Purchased in DE, newly inspected 2 month before purchase. My MD inspection uncovered a leaking rack, a frozen tie rod & unacceptable wear on the front rotors. Who's inspecting in the state of DE? It cost me $2k just to get to the DMV (before taxes). To say the least, I am disappointed in my near $40K Dream Car.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:14 PM
williet1342
Pro

Arrow 2 of 2

I'd also like to see the spread you come up with. If you have time include me in your PM or e-mail. THANKS. WSR

Quick Reply: '95 purch price