Sponsored by:

Rennsport System's Chip Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 08:43 AM
WillBank
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Does anyone know if Steve does a chip for a '97 TT if it already has the factory 430bhp treatment (but the unit is pre the '97 upgrade of the 1st gear so I suppose pre the upgrade of the ECU assembly)?

Any help greatly appreciated as I would like to get full benefit from this Optimax 98 RON petrol over here.

Thank you all, W

EDIT: BTW I have read Steve's site info but I do not know how to find out which serial number DME I have and I cannot clear-up the 430bhp+ question.
Old 07-03-2002, 02:25 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Gents:

A quick note about octane levels I program to,...

Currently, we use 3 timing maps:

East Coast 93-94 octane
West Coast 92 octane
California 91 octane
--------
Now, a word about chips, fuels and what the ECU does about that;

There are many many parameters that get changed whenever ANYONE remaps these cars and they all make a very discernable difference,...some are merely better than others, but they all help.

A major point is that the engine management systems are dynamic and adaptive in nature. In short; they perform noticeably better with higher octane gas and lose a little bit with less quality fuel. This is due to how the knock sensors are reprogrammed to maintain peak timing for the conditions at hand.

If you watch the knock sensors in real time with a scan tool, you always see some activity as the Motronic system is trying to maintain peak performance. This is normal. When the knock sensors detect several occurrances of detonation in one or more cylinders, the ECU will start retarding timing on those cylinders 2 degrees at a time until the next 720 degree cycle shows that its ceased. Then it begins advancing the timing all over gain until slight detonation is heard.

The cycle repeats itself every 360 deg of crank rotation while the engine is running and this maintains best throttle response and peak torque, all the time. These ECU's are almost always retarding the spark to some degree during normal engine operation. Now, when higher than asked for octane fuels are used, the ECU hears very little, if any, knock sensors activity and permits the full amount of programmed timing, all the time.

Lastly,......each and every engine is slightly different in its octane requirements due to variations in compression ratio, carbon buildup, and even cam timing. To this degree, some cars run better than others and some cars can be more sensitive to minimum octane fuels. Most Porsches equipped with knock sensors (89-02) will run noticably better with higher-than-required octane fuel and you may test this for yourself by trying a tankful of 100 octane unleaded race gas.

LOL,.....thus far to date, I've not run across a 993 that didn't respond very favorably to a properly done chip,...regardless of what range of fuels are used (91-94). Race gas chips are even better.
Old 07-03-2002, 02:36 PM
RL Technical Advisor

[quote]Originally posted by WillBank:
<strong>Does anyone know if Steve does a chip for a '97 TT if it already has the factory 430bhp treatment (but the unit is pre the '97 upgrade of the 1st gear so I suppose pre the upgrade of the ECU assembly)?

Any help greatly appreciated as I would like to get full benefit from this Optimax 98 RON petrol over here.

Thank you all, W

EDIT: BTW I have read Steve's site info but I do not know how to find out which serial number DME I have and I cannot clear-up the 430bhp+ question.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi Will:

First, you'll find the pertinent ECU numbers on the cover of the Motronic box under the drivers seat. The important ones are the Bosch numbers which looks like: 0.261.204.xxx. Those last three digits tell me whether you have the older 2-chip ECU or the newer single chip one. This, and the Porsche part numbers tell whether you have the factory Sport ECU or not.

We do offer a 480 HP program patterned after the Factory 450 HP street GT-2 car that was sold in limited numbers. That setup does require a pair of K-24 turbochargers, 5 bar FPR, and larger IC to maintian stock-type charge air temperatures with increased boost. Its assumed that you have an additional front oil cooler. This program was intended for 98 RON or 93 R+M/2 fuels.

I hope this answers your questions.
Old 07-03-2002, 04:23 PM
WillBank
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve, Many thanks... I was hoping to get away without having to do the K24's but it just ain't gonna happen.

I will go and bury my head under my seat to see what part numbers I can find. Cheers, Will
Old 07-03-2002, 07:22 PM
RL Technical Advisor

[quote]Originally posted by WillBank:
<strong>Steve, Many thanks... I was hoping to get away without having to do the K24's but it just ain't gonna happen.

I will go and bury my head under my seat to see what part numbers I can find. Cheers, Will</strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL,...Sorry Sir. The higher boost levels used by the 450-480 HP and greater upgrades, will overspeed the stock K-16's and the increases EGT's really shortens the life of those things.

Let me know what numbers you find.

Quick Reply: Rennsport System's Chip Install