993 Forum 1995-1998

to sell or not to sell

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 10:05 PM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to sell or not to sell

I have been toying around at the idea of buying a 993TT, and meanwhile have received a number of offers for my car (have not really put it for sale, but not a lot of 993's around this part)
One of them I know is serious for my 95, 993 C4, Sport Seats, Hi-Fi Stero, and now has Maxflow, Motor Sound airbox, 40K miles.
It's umolested and has solid history with zero problems. Still runs and looks brand new.
The price offered is around $44K US.
My dilemma is I love the car and if it's sold, it may be the better part of this year to find a replacement, especially one with a flawless "papered" history.
Also, the Turbo may be more than I can chew finacially right now.
I know the $44K is a good price, but again the amount vs something with much higher mileage and potential repair bills would offset that pretty quick.

I always value your opinions, and would love to hear them!

Thanks
Rob
Old 04-13-2004, 10:14 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I think $44K US is high in every sense of the word. I'd sell and import a TT or another 993 with even lower mileage from US for closer to $30-35K.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:15 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

44K for a 95 993??? wow!!!

If it was me, I'd take it to put in the bank and continue the quest for the perfect TT...

Before buying my 96 993 I had my (practical/affordable) dream car - an 88 16V scirocco... It was a concourse show car and only had 16K miles on it when I sold it.. It took me 2 years to sell it (and I ONLY sold it knowing the sale funds would go towards my 993) I regretted selling it at the time but have ZERO regrets now that I have my 993.

BTW: It took me about 8 months to get my 993 AFTER selling the 16V 88 scirocco but I got a very high price for it at the time ($13K in 1996).. I'm VERY glad I took the money at the time!

My vote is to take it.. As an FYI, we just bought a 95 993, speed yellow with nice options like RSR mufflers, full leather interior, limited slip with ABD, 17" wheels, M030 suspension, amazing sound system and some other options I can't think of at the moment for $29K and it was in amazingly fantastic shape..

I honestly couldn't imagine spending $44k on a 95 993...

but perhaps the canadian market is different?
Old 04-13-2004, 10:50 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Agree with Mike and Ceboyd. At $44K, you have no choice but to sell. Seriously, that is all the money plus some for a 95 coupe.

Although not in the selling market, with that kind of money being thrown around, I would seriously consider parting with my original owner triple black 95 Tip Cab with 26K miles.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:58 PM
Eddy
Advanced

Take the $$$ and run, buy the same car from the US for 32K and have 12K for any problems or upgrades. I'll sell my 95 Coupe for 35K and you have 9K to vacation.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:12 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Eddy
Take the $$$ and run, buy the same car from the US for 32K and have 12K for any problems or upgrades. I'll sell my 95 Coupe for 35K and you have 9K to vacation.
LOL... yup.. the more I think about it.. the more I think you should hurry up before the offer goes away....

I know a guy from 3 years ago who got an offer for $65K for his 98 993 so he took it right away so he could turn around and buy a 96TT for $85K his friend wanted to sell him.... ...so for just $20k extra he got a TT.... I know 98 993s still sell on the higher side today but I highly doubt it would be so easy today to get $65K
Old 04-13-2004, 11:14 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, That seems like top dollar for a 993.....That would be a tough one!!I guess it matters what you paid?.I have observed a lot of interest in this forum for 993 turbos. My opinion is that is that the majority of 993tt desire has come from people who live in warm climates. Rob993, who is from Canada, may(probably not) destroy my theory. Here is my recomendation/therapy for those with Turbo envy who drive their 993s too much: Park your car in the most secure garage you can find, disconnect the battery, cover it, and do NOT drive for 2 MONTHS. No peeks, no visits, nothing but pictures at best.

Then, and ONLY then, go unwrap your car!!. Go around the block a few times and then let it hapn captn!!!Since you have been driving your SUV or dd piece of junk or whatever will you realize how lucky you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The truth is that the 993 twin turbo is an excellent example of german machinery. We all should be so lucky to own one some day. Before you over extend yourself, you better ask yourself a few questions regarding your own personal retirement probability and the possibility of looking into your children's eyes and telling them their is no money for college. Sorry to get heavy on ya'all but them's the reality!!
We are in an environment where banks LOVE to loan money, be careful!!!
Steve
Old 04-13-2004, 11:28 PM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

Steve, so true!
I paid about $46 US early last year (Candian currency went through the roof this past year as when I bought the car it was really around $40K USD). I paid a little higher as I tired after months of looking for something local with a good history. Many were around the $35K to $37K mark but had issues of one sort or another. (I know, I am probably way to fussy). I just wanted one that could go 40K miles without having to sink any extra $'s into it. Then low and behold I join this board and I am teetering on the slope! (Smiley guy was supposed to insert here).
Bringing "bought" cars across the border is not fun as they always seem to tax the crap out of a person, so even though I can buy one for around $30K, it will end up costing me closer to $40K by the time it's all said and done.
Oh well one way or another I will make the decision, but it sounds like a thumbs up to sell.
Thanks for all the responses

Quick Reply: to sell or not to sell