paint or sell

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 08:07 PM
Rob W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint or sell

My 1995 arctic silver cab has alot of chips on the front end and the lower part of the trunk, behind all four wheels the paint is starting to get sand blasted, the rear bumper cover has two small nicks and the door edges could use some paint. The car has 60,000 miles and runs great I have a line on a decently priced 95 polar silver cab with 30,000 miles should I go with the paint work or try to sell the car to get into a lower mileage cleaner car? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:13 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 713 Likes on 324 Posts

Imo it's not enough of a reason to sell. Do you like the polar silver car better than your arctic silver car? Does it have more or better options in your opinion? I'm coming up on 60K myself. Mine is probably in the same shape as yours w/ rock chips on the leading edge etc., but unless I can justify the expense of a TT I'm not sellng mine for anything.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:20 PM
scs32
Advanced

I'll take the third option, drive.

In all seriousness, I can't imagine trading a car where you know the history and care level (assuming that they're good) for an unknown.

It sounds like you are a driver and you're going to want to drive this one too. This (along with it's 95 status) is going to make less of a collecter's item.

I say keep it.

My never-so humble thoughts...

Cheers,
Steve
Old 04-13-2004, 08:36 PM
Tom Pepper
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is as a familiar dilemma.
I bought my 95 new and have driven a wonderful 107,000 miles. I have suffered the harness replacement, the leaking steering rack, the AC ailments, hanging clutch pedal and myriad quirks and idiosyncrasis of 993 ownership. I KNOW and I love this car. Last month I decided to paint the front and rear, paint the calipers red, replace the shocks--overdue--with HD Bilstiens and replaced the pitted OEM windshield.
It is looking and feeling great. I thought of selling but decided that whatever 993 I bought would likely end up with all the updates and repairs I have already done.
IMHO keep your car and drive it until one of you expires.
Tom:
Old 04-13-2004, 08:46 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

Good points! I also had same thoughts as my front bumper cover is totally shot, my hood has several chips and new shocks are badly needed on my 76K mile Targa. But since I've gotten a lot of work done and know the TLC that I have put into the car, I know it's hard for me to go to an "unknown". I trust my car now that I am its history... hope that made sense.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:54 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 534 Posts

Last month I spent $2K on a front respray and new headlight lenses, and another $1K on a full Clear Armor application by a qualified professional. The usual bumper cover, hood and mirrors, but also the door edges, gas cap area, door handle recess, and all 4 wheel well areas. Worth it to me because it is a one owner, keeper car and I know all the maintenance history. I don't want to spend the next 6 years/100K miles doing frequent touch up paint, and it would still look like a second grader's coloring book.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:04 AM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd say re-paint one or two bad areas (e.g., maybe the bumper), get used to the rest, and drive a known quantity.
Best, Mike
Old 04-14-2004, 08:13 AM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had the same thoughts as you. Then I decided to repaint.

I would have ended up losing money on selling current car , then lose more on buying another car and then to top it all off, spend more on repairing/servicing the new car in the very near future.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:49 AM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Paint it. Then go order some Invinca-Shield and put it on yourself, or spend more and have someone else do it.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:00 AM
SLVR
Pro

Sell, but get a nice 97 or 98 with 25k mls. My $0.02
Old 04-14-2004, 11:04 AM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

I would rather keep a known that deal with the unknown. Plus, the transaction costs alone might cost more than the paint job (think of the sales tax on a $30K car!).

Perhaps you can look at this as an opportunity to get the turbo bumper. I know I would.

Last but not least, my '95 has 63K miles, 12K in the last 11 months of my ownership inc. a one way trip from Peoria, IL, where I pick it up, a roundtrip to the F1 at Indianapolis, and 5 track days. Runs like a charm. Sure, it's got some rock chips but I'm not going to stress about it. I bought the car to enjoy driving it, not as a concours winner.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:17 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with the others, a known entity is much better than an unknown. I would keep it drive it to 100k and then repaint. Then reach 200k and repaint, then 300k and repaint, see the pattern. This is my plan.

Silver doesn't show the chips much unless you are waxing and drying, so don't sweat the little rock chips - they will reappear after the paint job unless the car just lives in the garage. Just enjoy the car the way you want to.

-Skip

Quick Reply: paint or sell