Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
View Poll Results: How do you like the looks of the new "Quattroporte"
5 stars! Looks awesome, I want one!
11.54%
4 starts! It's nice, might be something for the future
15.38%
3 stars! Hmm, ok perhaps. But I wont get it...
42.31%
2 stars! Guh.. they've sold their soul. Looks horrible.
3.85%
1 star! Yikes, never ever a Porsche. They've gone mad
15.38%
They will never produce this car, and the picture is a fake
11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

The Porsche "Quattroporte"

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 06:16 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default The Porsche "Quattroporte"

This is a summary of a translation from Swedish to English. And it was published on the web at www.autobytel.se.
I won't copy the text due to copyrights.

(The original source is the German magazine Auto Motor und Sport)

It looks like a new model is joining the Porsche family. It will be a four seated Gran Turismo model. Engine in front, and rear-wheel drive. The German magazine calls it the Porsche GT Coupé.

They tried it before with the 989 in the beginning, however that model was dismissed due to the bad economic climate.

According to good source, is the new project called E2. The car will be about 4.9m long and should give plenty of room for two people in the back and 450L luggage space in the back. The car will be powered by V8:s and V10:s with the option between 340 and 612 hp.

The desicion about making the car is taken this fall. Also the decision if the rear doors should be mounted traditionally or backwards is taken then. It's easier to enter the car with them backwards, however stability and safety is a concern. According the source, production should be about 20.000 units a year and the price begins at € 200.000 ($238.000).

First thing that hits me is that the front of the car resambles with the Carrera Coupé that was created by some german journalist in Photoshop a while ago a.k.a the 980.

Second thing is the engine strength. Gotta be the V8's from the Cayenne and the V10 from the Carrera GT.

Third thing that sounds a bit odd, is a four door coupé! Generally I'd say there is no such thing as a four-door coupé, then it's a sedan. But recently, spypictures of the Mercedes CLS came out. That car is supposed to be a coupé, and it has foor doors. So I guess that's some kind of a new concept.

Fourth, I have no idea if this is true or not. Auto Motor und Sport is a very well known and respected car magazine in Germany, if not THE car magazine. Still this doesn't mean that it would be true. I think our German rennlisters could tell more about this. Figured it could be worth sharing anyway.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:45 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a Cayenne with a lower roofline, I doubt they would put the CGT motor in it and the price tag is a little steep! For $238K, I'd get a GT3 and an S500 or Audi A8L.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:48 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Agree, very expensive.
However, I think they want to crush the AMG and M-Sport competition.
So I don't find it unthinkable if they put in the CGT motor, with perhaps modifications to it.
The new M5 already got 500hp...
Old 04-13-2004, 08:14 PM
Derrick B.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that Porsche should be Porsche and let Mercedes be Mercedes. Why dilute the brand further with a luxo-cruiser? Even if it does have a lot of power. Ever been on track with an S-Class? I have- and its not a pretty sight, no matter how much more power than my 993 it had.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:18 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have difficulty believing any car company could move 20,000 units costing $238,000 each. Ferrari's total production is about 4,000 cars/year, and the 360 Modena costs significantly less than $238K. Where are my boots?
Old 04-13-2004, 08:23 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont like the price either. Why make it $100k more than
the 911 turob and $50k more than a GT2??
doesnt make sense to me.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:40 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with the branding dilution argument. bottom line is i believe porsche caters to 3 demographics:

1. the auto enthusiast - mainly the people found on rennlist that are really into the cars. we will honor, modify and enhance our cars. we don't just drive them, we DRIVE them as they were meant to be driven and maintain them miticulously. some may even track the car to get the most of the experience others don't feel the need to track it.

and

2. the label enthusiast - the ones that buy a porsche because it is called a porsche and stands for a finely tuned, well recognized automobile. they'll drive it like any other car but will feel good about it because it is a porsche.

and

3. those who bought one because of a mental or material change in their lives: i.e. mid life crisis, divorce ...

DISCLAIMER: People can start in 2 or 3 and evolve into 1.

Bottom line is the more Porsche produces these alternates - the less likely a 1 , 2 or 3 type of customer is to find value in these cars. As is I think the typical porsche buyer has changed from a niche #1 to more of a #2 over the past couple years. It is possible that Porsche desires to change their customer base and use their existing brand to demand a premium on other types of cars. I personally think it is a bad idea!!! If Porsche read this email I would ask them to imagine Harley making a sports car.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:55 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I want a Quattroporte, I'll buy a Maserati.

Quick Reply: The Porsche "Quattroporte"