Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 auction madness?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 11:47 PM
nycpassat
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

There’s an Ocean Blue C2s on pcarmarket with 27k miles that’s still reasonably priced so far. Bidding ends tomorrow. Might be a steal actually since there isn’t much bid movement comparable to past auctions.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:37 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 1,025 Likes on 534 Posts

We really need a "993 auction/value tracking" sub-forum, where everyone can post thread after thread about crazy prices/values to their hearts content and not clutter up the 993 Technical forum every time a new auction goes live or closes.

Carry on...
Old 09-08-2021, 08:53 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 181 Posts

I find it humorous that many posters call these auction number crazy, ridiculous, etc... it's as useless as trying to fool mother nature- the market cares less about
our opinions....
But I would imagine that owners don't mind the price increases, its the buyers who should be cursing themselves....
Old 09-08-2021, 09:01 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 644 Posts

you could head over to the 992 forum for this highly technical discussion...

The following users liked this post:
HelpMeHelpU (09-09-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 09:19 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 1,025 Likes on 534 Posts

haha... well, curiosity killed the cat and I went to have a look. At least it led into varying factors and processes people take to maintain their cars.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:58 AM
serval
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

for most - agreed, but typically 993 buyers are more informed. Maybe I'm wrong
Old 09-08-2021, 10:00 AM
serval
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by crw
The on-line auction platform success makes purchasing much easier from the comfort of your living room.

For a lot of people, it's kind of like Amazon.

I have to admit, I have bough my fair share of things because I was bored or got influenced by the power of good advertising.
I would like to reach the level of financial sufficiency to justify 110K on a car because I was bored and comfortable )
The following 3 users liked this post by serval:
anguilla1980 (09-09-2021), HelpMeHelpU (09-09-2021), Jon 'Bama (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 10:33 AM
Clark W Griswold
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
It’s your money so naturally you are entitled to your opinion, but I would say that period correct modifications, in my opinion, don’t change the character of the car or take it into a new era.

This is especially true when many common mods are OEM parts (ie 993 RS).

It’s one thing to care about originality in a low mileage time capsule, but originality in a 70k miles car is a little pointless. Again - my opinion.
fair point. I say this with fister 3 exhaust and pss10 on my car. I think easily reversible mods especially suspension are just the norm these days. I don't NEED a car to be as it was from the factory, I am just trying to shed some light on the statement that these bidders are not Porsche or car guys. I completely disagree with that statement. I personally don't mind mods and the car I bought I paid a premium for because it had every mod I would do, however I would not be interested in a non turbo car that has been turbo'd. if that makes sense. I think for the naysayers of original cars, drive an early speedster. it is positively mind melting what Porsche was capable of and was doing with cars in the 50s if you have any experience with other old cars. Its pretty neat to have an example of what Porsche was doing in whatever era the car is made.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:40 AM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
Untouched, original classics always bring the most money regardless of marque. It appears that our beloved 993’s are transitioning from cool used sports cars to classics. Originality will become more and more desirable, fewer will be driven regularly, and the best examples will distance themselves in price from the rest of the pack.

I also find it interesting that very few new owners appear to be showing up here. Makes me wonder who is buying them?
Bought mine last year. For me, it was the car I wanted when I was 10.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:48 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,502 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark W Griswold
fair point. I say this with fister 3 exhaust and pss10 on my car. I think easily reversible mods especially suspension are just the norm these days. I don't NEED a car to be as it was from the factory, I am just trying to shed some light on the statement that these bidders are not Porsche or car guys. I completely disagree with that statement. I personally don't mind mods and the car I bought I paid a premium for because it had every mod I would do, however I would not be interested in a non turbo car that has been turbo'd. if that makes sense. I think for the naysayers of original cars, drive an early speedster. it is positively mind melting what Porsche was capable of and was doing with cars in the 50s if you have any experience with other old cars. Its pretty neat to have an example of what Porsche was doing in whatever era the car is made.
Yeah, that's reasonable. I have a RWD conversion and I would probably just reverse it back to AWD if I ever decided to sell it (even though the modified car really does drive better with the change). Most else I have done are OEM 993 RS parts + KWv3/Fister III and I don't think those parts would harm its value.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:48 AM
Clark W Griswold
Instructor

Porsche currently offers some of the fastest and best handling sports cars available. If thats what you are after go get one of those. BTW they are roughly the same money these days. I legitimately considered a 991 GT3 touring and 997 GT3RS before I bought my C2S.. Preserving this era of car is only a good thing in my opinion.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:52 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,502 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Porsche currently offers some of the fastest and best handling sports cars available. If thats what you are after go get one of those. BTW they are roughly the same money these days. I legitimately considered a 991 GT3 touring and 997 GT3RS before I bought my C2S.. Preserving this era of car is only a good thing in my opinion.
Well I'm getting a 992 TTS which is a great car, but neither that nor a GT3 will have the feel of these old cars. Both are incredible performers but they aren't 993s. Smart modifications enhance that character, IMO.

Last edited by rk-d; 09-08-2021 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:53 AM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 89 Posts

I'm going to offer an all-original 35k mile Carrera S after going through the car with a fine tooth comb next month, would prefer to protect the next owner by not offering it through the online auction format, any active RL members that are serious about owning a great example at current market DM me. I don't respond to new RL accounts with zero comments, but appreciate the active forum participants as they know and appreciate these cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by cscrogham:
HelpMeHelpU (09-09-2021), Patrick3000 (09-10-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 10:55 AM
Clark W Griswold
Instructor

Originally Posted by rk-d
Well I'm getting a 992 TTS which is a great car, but neither that nor a GT3 will have the feel of these old cars. Smart modifications enhance that character, IMO. There is a reason people love these things and it's impossible to recreate the experience legally, with all the regs manufacturers have to navigate nowadays.

I agree. we are talking the same language. Since I am not a pro driver I quite like a slow car that feels fast. I daily a e63 wagon that to be honest never sees the redline. There just usually is not enough road.
rk-d (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 11:14 AM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 108 Posts

I agree. we are talking the same language. Since I am not a pro driver I quite like a slow car that feels fast. I daily a e63 wagon that to be honest never sees the redline. There just usually is not enough road.
this is what drew me to the 993 (other than the fact that I wanted one when I was 10). I’ve thought about a gt3, but after owning other modern porsches and test driving a gt3 on track, it just seems like such a waste for the road.
HelpMeHelpU (09-09-2021)

Quick Reply: 993 auction madness?