Sponsored by:

AC in the 993

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 12:51 AM
jz993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC in the 993

Update on the unimpressive cooling in my 993: Service tech said system was overcharged (excessive head pressure). He reduced pressure to spec. Back-of-the-hand impression: very slight improvement.
Scientific (digital temp. probe) investigation at 85 F ambient, cars idling in shade, probe in center dash outlet, fresh air, fan on #2 :
My 993: 55 F
friends '88 Carrera: 55 F (while being driven a mile or so)
wifes '02 PT Cruiser: 42F
Conclusion: P-car AC is lame! Oh well, can't have everything
Wife generously offered to switch cars anytime. I may take her up on it in July, August....
Everyone is welcome to participate in temp. probe test and post results, see who has the best AC. Thanks
Old 04-11-2004, 04:11 AM
ingo777
Instructor

I heard that quite often, I have no complains, living in Singapore with temps up to 35C... Anyone knows if there are different specs for aircons depending on country of delivery? Mine really cools nicely...
Old 04-11-2004, 07:38 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had no problem with the AC in my '95 car - even when left out in the sun on a hot day the 'normal' setting soon cools it all down to comfortable. OK it does not blow ice cold like some cars I've had over the years but it seems to do the job fine.

PJC
Old 04-11-2004, 10:39 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 240 Posts

Jeff,

I have done trhe same measurements during the two summers owning my '97. The A/C has been properly serviced by my Porsche independent and the best temp I see at the center dash vent is 54 F using several different digital and analog probes.

This is "just" within the acceptable range n the 993 service manual chart. Like your PT Cruiser, my 2004 TrailBlazer blows a solid 10 F cooler.

Last summer my shop in Syracuse, at my request, tested three different 993's that were in their shop over a two week period, because I could not believe that this temp output from the A/C was as good as it gets. All three 993's blew cold at about the same temps.

I agree with your "lame" conclusion.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:17 PM
jz993
Racer

Mike, thanks for just the info I was looking for. The guys at the shop said the car cools on par with its peers.
I have since been told about the factors that hinder 911s from cooling as well as 'normal' cars, mostly condenser volume and airflow to it. Every mechanical thing has design limitations.
I wouldn't even care if the car had ac if I lived in a more temperate climate. I prefer the windows and sunrf open anyway. Thankfully, I commute most of the time on my Ducati, and I'm not forced to wear a tie and jacket in the car anyway. I'll deal with it-happily
Old 04-11-2004, 08:42 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

You guys don't no lame unless you've owned earlier 911s. My 80 911SC and 85 Carrera AC was lame! My 97 993 is 1000x better than the earlier 911s. But you have to understand if you want Luxury go buy a Benz-O.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:31 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

I second Cahrera's comments. Had an '83 Cab and '87 Targa before and they were both successful at cooling just my right knuckles. Beyond that, it was really "mind over matter" for me.

Think cool thoughts... think cool thoughts... think cool thoughts...

Incidentally, an '89 944 Turbo I had was very good. Chilled right to the bone. But the ultimate AC is still found in big old Crown Victorias. A pieces of stainless steel trim and you'd think you're inside a SubZero fridge.

Thanks,
Peter
Old 04-11-2004, 10:39 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've been able to get low 40's out of my system, ambient about 65F. Don't have any data above 80F...rarely gets that warm here.

Road & Track ran a long-term test on a '95 993 (back when it was new). One of their only complaints was the A/C's inability to cool the car well in (I think it was) Las Vegas heat.

I think the excessive length of hose the refrigerant has to go through (to the front of the car & back) has a good bit to do with why the system doesn't work as well as those found in a generic economy car.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:32 PM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

You know this is about the only advantage I have living way up (the most Northern City in N.A.) here. It's very rare to have an evening that is warmer than 65 F in July/August. But because we get sun from 3:30AM to nearly 11:00PM in June/July, I do wish we had ice cold air as a standard. Oh well, at least I don't have to deal with the temps in AZ!
Thanks
Rob
Old 04-12-2004, 12:21 AM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lousy a/c,no cupholders .....man oh man. Do you know why? No? No?
because theres no crying in baseball, no crying in baseball.
Sorry I couldnt resist.
Those temps sound about like mine too. Tinted windows will help alot.
I like to wear flip flops( HWFM Racing shoes) shorts and and have a diet coke can wedged in somewhere up front with me when its blazing hot outside. I'll admit I would hate to wear a suit and tie in the real heat.

-CJ Palm Desert
Old 04-12-2004, 12:51 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My center dash vent temp runs low 40s consistantly. I have been in Phoenix when it was 110 degrees outside, and the car could be cooled OK if you were at freeway speeds. Can't say what it would be in around town driving.

If my car can do it, why can't the others? Not bragging, as I can't take any credit for it. I have never had the AC serviced since I bought the car 3 years ago.

Could there be a problem with the condenser fan up front? It uses the same resistor known to cause problems on the oil cooler. I replaced both when I put on the aerokit - the oil cooler resistor was toasted, but the AC resistor was OK, which makes no sense, as the AC is used a lot more that the oil cooler fan.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:10 AM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Since I logged three years living on the edge of the Everglades and my only car was a (non-a/c, of course) 914 with a black interior, everything else seems now pretty darn good to me.

The only complaint I have is that the a/c air seems to blow both colder and stronger from the left center vent than from any other vent on my 993, even if all are opened equally. Anybody else notice a variation between vents?
Old 04-12-2004, 01:36 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,169 Likes on 2,914 Posts

This is one rare area where the water cooled cars are superior (944 and 996 have seriously cold AC)...
Old 04-12-2004, 03:03 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Totally agree with Cahrera's comments also. Have owned a '76 and a '84 911 before the 993. '76 had a dealer installed underdash unit, but for some reason it was damn impressive. The '84 was awful; could barely keep me cool if the sun was out on a 80 degree day. 993 is far better, but still doesn't come close to my Audi A4 Avant daily driver.

Bottom line - you want AC, buy a water pumper.

Oh yeah - shop manual lists outlet temp at 44-50 degrees for 85 degree ambient. Max cooling setting, blower set to MAX, sunroof/doors closed. Then wait 10 minutes at an engine speed of 2000 RPM. As I remember, when I checked mine, I'm within the acceptable temp zone, but at the upper end. Want more tech info, BUY THE SHOP MANUAL!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2004, 11:14 AM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

BobD.

Mine does the samething where it blows more air from the Left center than it does from the Right Center when they are both fully open. Although both the sides are pretty strong. Maybe that's a Porsche design feature to cool off the driver more than anyone else.

Quick Reply: AC in the 993