Sponsored by:

Electric 993 transformation ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 10:05 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry but that is so wrong! Please dont do this.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:19 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by mdude
We need a 'dislike button', badly...
Yes we do.
The following users liked this post:
anguilla1980 (09-06-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 06:00 AM
Jsancho007
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
Sorry but that is so wrong! Please dont do this.
If I may, I'd like to ask you, if you were living in a city that doesn't allow you to drive it Mon-Fri from 7am to 8pm + getting charged nicely for holding a highly polluting car; what would you do? what's the solution in your opinion ?
Meenrod (09-06-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 10:17 AM
Jsancho007
Instructor

Originally Posted by gavonder
it looks great !!!
heliolps2 (09-09-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 10:33 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsancho007
If I may, I'd like to ask you, if you were living in a city that doesn't allow you to drive it Mon-Fri from 7am to 8pm + getting charged nicely for holding a highly polluting car; what would you do? what's the solution in your opinion ?
I think EV retrofit is a good idea but personally, I would not touch an electric 993 or 911 for the matter. Same if it were an old Ferrari or an Aston Martin (even the recent AM from the late 2000s to mid 2010s). These cars are meant to have an engine, it is basically the heart of the car in my opinion. On the contrary, I find the original Beetle with the EVwest retrofit to be a very nice idea to get around town and perform daily activities for my personal specific needs.

In Paris and its near surburbs, it is true that you cannot drive 993s anymore due to emission regulations. So, I would continue to drive there but with the risk of being fined and the car being impounded. The law is not being really enforced at the moment but when automatic cameras will pick up license plate numbers, this will change and I will start receiving fines. So I won't drive with the 993 in Paris, I will just use the subway.
I see some French owners of 993s changing to 991s because of emissions restriction zones. That would probably buy them a couple of years maybe until 2030. Then, who knows what additional emission restrictions will appear... so on a more long term situation, I would and am probably moving to the countryside or to a country that is less strict in terms of emissions restriction zone (I know some people who already did a couple of years ago). One solution would be to register the 993 as a classic car since the French classic car association is doing a great lobbying to allow classic cars to be driven in city centers since they represent a fraction of the pollution so basically negligible.

Jsancho007 (09-06-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 10:42 AM
JParanee
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 89 Posts

Yuck
Old 09-06-2021, 10:51 AM
Jsancho007
Instructor

Originally Posted by Watson
I think EV retrofit is a good idea but personally, I would not touch an electric 993 or 911 for the matter. Same if it were an old Ferrari or an Aston Martin (even the recent AM from the late 2000s to mid 2010s). These cars are meant to have an engine, it is basically the heart of the car in my opinion. On the contrary, I find the original Beetle with the EVwest retrofit to be a very nice idea to get around town and perform daily activities for my personal specific needs.

In Paris and its near surburbs, it is true that you cannot drive 993s anymore due to emission regulations. So, I would continue to drive there but with the risk of being fined and the car being impounded. The law is not being really enforced at the moment but when automatic cameras will pick up license plate numbers, this will change and I will start receiving fines. So I won't drive with the 993 in Paris, I will just use the subway.
I see some French owners of 993s changing to 991s because of emissions restriction zones. That would probably buy them a couple of years maybe until 2030. Then, who knows what additional emission restrictions will appear... so on a more long term situation, I would and am probably moving to the countryside or to a country that is less strict in terms of emissions restriction zone (I know some people who already did a couple of years ago). One solution would be to register the 993 as a classic car since the French classic car association is doing a great lobbying to allow classic cars to be driven in city centers since they represent a fraction of the pollution so basically negligible.
Great insight as I may end up moving to Paris for work in the very near future. In Barcelona they fine already as there are already cameras around.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:20 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 180 Posts

Electric steering in 993 track cars is already a thing.

The flat 6 is part of the appeal, but so is the feel of the driving. But commuting in a "green" city center would seem not to give much of a chance to experience either sensation. So that would leave you with the 993 appearance and uniqueness (compared to the white/silver/gray/black "commute boxes"). I think finding the right "subject" to sacrifice would be the judgmental part. Taking a fine running 993 down this path is premature. Finding a Lemoncella like donor 993 to start with would be preferred, but in the end, it is your car and money, do as you prefer. Will be an interesting engineering challenge / packaging / range / journey.

As just announced in 2024/25, Porsche is going Mission R for GT racing...
Jsancho007 (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 04:54 PM
Jsancho007
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
Electric steering in 993 track cars is already a thing.

The flat 6 is part of the appeal, but so is the feel of the driving. But commuting in a "green" city center would seem not to give much of a chance to experience either sensation. So that would leave you with the 993 appearance and uniqueness (compared to the white/silver/gray/black "commute boxes"). I think finding the right "subject" to sacrifice would be the judgmental part. Taking a fine running 993 down this path is premature. Finding a Lemoncella like donor 993 to start with would be preferred, but in the end, it is your car and money, do as you prefer. Will be an interesting engineering challenge / packaging / range / journey.

As just announced in 2024/25, Porsche is going Mission R for GT racing...
Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. I do really appreciate it.

I feel I am an early thinker about what's the future of these lovely machines (classic cars) in the next 15 years and none has a clue about it.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:58 PM
Clark W Griswold
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

gotta pay to play. the cost of the conversion is probably more than whatever tax you are charged.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:27 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,502 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. I do really appreciate it.

I feel I am an early thinker about what's the future of these lovely machines (classic cars) in the next 15 years and none has a clue about it.
Italy is pushing for exceptions for small manufacturers of supercars. It wouldn’t surprise me if similar exceptions were allowed for classic cars.

Now I don’t doubt that gasoline will be heavily taxed, not to mention some type of yearly carbon tax levied on ICE cars.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:32 AM
serval
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Coninbg up to the line, but not overstepping it

Originally Posted by Meenrod
You don't need the iPad - just the motors and batteries. It's been done before. Not quite full electric but Elephant Racing now offer a hybrid conversion for all 911's going back to 1965. It's by Vonnen and featured on The Smoking Tire. For those in love with their oily bits this may offer a compromise.

https://www.elephantracing.com/vonnen/

The Smoking Tire review

The Vonnen "kit" is reversible. It is also $50k for an extra 100hp good only for 3-4 minutes of hard use at a time (I think they sold 2 kits to pre 1998 cars). It also carries a weight penalty
Most people that can afford it, will either call Rothsport or think of trading up to a Turbo. Awesome power all the time.

In my opinion the character of the 993 is intrinsically tied to its engine. Of course you can do whatever you want to it including 35" spinning rims and hitch 4 Mecklenburg horses up front (Clydesdales if you want more torque ). In my opinion a 993 (or 356, or any other) "electrification" is simply keeping the body , while getting rid of the soul and in no way comparable to RWD from AWD or RS flares, or GT2 wing or LWFL or....

On the other hand, it is not cheap. I would rather buy an electric car when it makes sense for me to do so, and keep the 993 for the same reasons that led me to buying it in the first place.

Last edited by serval; 09-09-2021 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:03 AM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

And that's exactly the point. Buying a 993 for your reasons. And understanding those reasons may be different for different people. For some, it's the pinnacle of aircooled. It has a 'soul' (whatever that means) and is intrisinctly linked to its powerplant. For others it's simply the car they had on their bedroom wall. Or a lesson in analogue driving. And if having an electric 993 means more seat time for the driver then more power to them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Meenrod:
Jay2Lab (09-10-2021), serval (09-11-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 11:07 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

I've seen some cool electric conversions. I just don't think the 993 is a great candidate for it. The packaging makes it a tough proposition.

On the other hand if you're looking for a cool retro conversion expand your search. I imagine an old VW bus would be ideal. Lots of room for batteries. Not sure how it will handle the extra weight though. That brings me to pickup trucks. They're designed to haul extra weight so no issues there. Lots of flat surface under bed for batteries too.

Salvaging Tesla drivetrains and other components seems to be a cost effective approach.

Whatever you convert there will always be outrage from the community. I wouldn't be to bummed to see you gut a 993 but I just don't think it's a great platform until battery technology changes.

Kudos to Parris, I remember reading way back it was coming. I suspect it's how we're likely to see the electric movement evolve. Expanding from metro hubs initially then into the suburbs when the infrastructure can support it.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:00 PM
shotor
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

The electrification of the 993 intrigues me as well. I use my 993 as a city car because I love the form factor. Its small enough to fit everywhere. Its not too flashy, but still nice. Not too fast so you can't push it at all, but not too slow.

However, the drivetrain in our Tesla is really impressive. 40,000 Km and hasn't needed anything. Its always charged. Lots of torque. Etc.

Still early days, but, if a kit shows up that I could do a nice conversion but the car is not butchered up and I could save the old oily bits, I would have a serious look at it.

Quick Reply: Electric 993 transformation ??