Invinca-Shield Mess

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 09:57 AM
Jeff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Invinca-Shield Mess

Had a local outfit install Invinca-Shield on my front bumper -- it's on but is scratched badly in a couple spots -- looks like theywere trying to get the water or air out and rubbed too hard with the applicator.
Shouldn't this stuff go on so without scratches?
Also, is there anything I can use that might remove some of the scratches?
Thanks.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:07 AM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

As you dicovered, it'll scratch if they rub really hard with the applicator. I used the a red squeege type applicator that comes with texpel kits as it is softer and make sure the film is wet when I'm squeeging it. You should be able to reduce them using any of the scratch removing type products such as 3M swirl mark remover or Meguiar's Scratch X. Use microfiber towels so you don't add your own scratches.

How about going back to them and demanding they do that piece again or give you a discount.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:04 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 320 Posts

The Xpel installer in Baltimore willingly replaced my hood piece after I saw some applicator scratches. I would insist on a new one, Jeff.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:14 AM
Jeff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark and Louis -- thanks for the replies -- I plan to talk to them today -- I neglected to order the mirror pieces so I want to put them on. We'll work something out. Still glad to have the protection. I bought a mag bra as well. Did not install the hood piece from Invinca-sheild -- very good combination -- Mag-Bra on the lid with Invinca-shield on the bumper and mirrors.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:42 PM
mimmo
Advanced

show some pictures of the finished work if you would.
I would love to see what it looks like
Old 04-10-2004, 02:24 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wrap the squeegee in a soft cloth when I work out the trapped air. If you use just the bare squeegee, use very light pressure to avoid scratching.

Dave
Old 04-10-2004, 03:43 PM
Jeff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry -- still not able to post pictures. Hope to do so in the near future. The cloth is the right approach -- for sure.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:42 PM
Bill (NC)
Racer

I got invinceashield installed on mime. The installer did an outstanding job, no imperfections noted. I would ask them to strip the defective piece and reinstall. On another note..has anyone replaced their side panel factory shields with anything other than OEM material? The guy that did my nose said they have side panels that are cut the same size as the orginals but are .08 thickness instead of the oem .12. He claims no complaints from the ones he's done.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:09 PM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's exactly the thickness of the Invinca-Shield 3M material: 8 mils vs 12 or I think 14 mils of the OEM pieces I removed; I actually measured the thickness with a micrometer.

Even leaving the huge price difference aside, the 8 mils material is perfect and is a simple FYI as well.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:53 PM
KB993
Intermediate

Bill,

I had my side panels replaced when I had an off track excursion repaired(don't ask). Both sides had to be done because the factory side panels are a smaller size. If someone says they have the same size side panel for the 993 check to see if it is the original size or the smaller size being offered now. I will try to take pictures of the smaller ones that I have on the car now.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:25 PM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts
Default OEM Material Removal

Gentlemen,

My car needs the clear protector replaced on the rear fenders. What is the proper way to remove the OEM stuff prior to using the InvincaShield kit to install the new panels?

Scott
Old 04-11-2004, 07:51 PM
Jeff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Scott -- I understand heat is the answer (hair dryer). I've never done it but that's what others have reported. I'd contact invinca-shield.com and talk to them.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:36 PM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Scott,

Jeff's correct. You want to warm up the material. A hot sunny day will do the same but maybe not with your white car.

In order to leave as little of the adhesive as possible on the car, pull the material at a very shallow angle to the surface of the car. It's like you're stretching it off. This way most of the adhesive comes up with the removed film and you don't have to spend an hour cleaning up the residue on the car.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:47 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

A little 3M adhesive remover will make the clean up alot easier.
One other tip - you may need to buff out the outline of the factory stonegaurd before you install the new one.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:02 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Jeff
You might take a look at this thread discussing your issue.

Quick Reply: Invinca-Shield Mess