Aftermarket stereo

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 02:41 AM
Dino Enne
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket stereo

Good morning.
The original blaupunkt car stereo no longer works. It was connected with connectors III and I, so it should have the separate amplifier.

I bought a car stereo with only one ISO connector and four RCA outputs (4 X 60 WATT 4OHM).

Is an adapter like the one in the picture okay to use the old amplifier? (I don't care about the quality). https://www.discountcarstereo.com/arh-rca.html

Thanks in advance
Old 08-23-2021, 12:37 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Hi Dino,
The amp connector is round on the wiring harness.
Tore at https://www.bergvillfx.com/ probably has the correct adapter.
See halfway down this page for the pinouts:
https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...ire-color.html
Andy
The following users liked this post:
Dino Enne (09-01-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 01:42 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Ditch the 993 Nokia amplifier -

Dino -
What Porsche model are we considering? Presumably a 993 with the optional 490 HiFi arrangement?

As mentioned, Tore at www.bergvillfx.com is the go-to resource here. Are you certain to make use of the factory Nokia amplifier? (w/round (DIN) Input connector / Output connector is rectangular shaped w/wiring to speakers) The IC amps (15w RMS) incorporated in the Nokia amplifier, circa the 1990s, are historic by any comparison. The IC amps used in a present-day modern head unit radio are far superior. . Do reach out to Tore for the audio wiring specific's when bypassing the Nokia amplifier. It's a well-traveled practice.
The following 3 users liked this post by M. Schneider:
Dino Enne (09-01-2021), ToreB (08-23-2021), Twilightblue28A (08-31-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 02:07 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Dino -
What Porsche model are we considering? Presumably a 993 with the optional 490 HiFi arrangement?

As mentioned, Tore at www.bergvillfx.com is the go-to resource here. Are you certain to make use of the factory Nokia amplifier? (w/round (DIN) input connector) The IC amps (15w RMS) incorporated in the Nokia amplifier, circa the 1990s, are historic by any comparison. The IC amps used in a present-day modern head unit radio are far superior. . Do reach out to Tore for the audio wiring specific's when bypassing the Nokia amplifier. It's a well-traveled practice.
Here is a recounting of my experience upgrading the audio in my car:
https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...or-993-in.html
Andy
Dino Enne (09-01-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 04:45 PM
rrc715
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 84 Posts

Dino, this response is in a totally different direction but take for what it’s worth. My buddy owns a stereo/alarm business so I had him install a very nice (modern) stereo deck and added an amplifier which he concealed in the trunk area. He replaced all my speakers and made the system sound awesome. Now many will say you do not need a stereo and to just listen to your engine and exhaust which I cannot disagree with because it sounds awesome too. However, on longer freeway trips there is something to be said about great sounding traveling music for the freeway.

So my suggestion, and that’s all it is, is to do what you like since it’s your car and enjoy every minute of it while you own it. Some day it will get a new caretaker who will likely modify to his/her own liking.

Good luck on your P-car journey. RRC

Dino Enne (09-01-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 04:50 PM
Dino Enne
AutoX

Originally Posted by pp000830
Hi Dino,
The amp connector is round on the wiring harness.
Tore at https://www.bergvillfx.com/ probably has the correct adapter.
See halfway down this page for the pinouts:
https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...ire-color.html
Andy
The connector to connect to the stereo is rectangular, not round. Maybe I should take out the amplifier.
Old 08-23-2021, 05:02 PM
Dino Enne
AutoX

Dino -

As mentioned, Tore at www.bergvillfx.com is the go-to resource here. Are you certain to make use of the factory Nokia amplifier? (w/round (DIN) input connector) The IC amps (15w RMS) incorporated in the Nokia amplifier, circa the 1990s, are historic by any comparison. The IC amps used in a present-day modern head unit radio are far superior. . Do reach out to Tore for the audio wiring specific's when bypassing the Nokia amplifier. It's a well-traveled practice.
If I wanted to get rid of the amplifier, would this scheme be right?

So this adapter should be correct?
https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/...3-hi-fi-bypass
Old 08-23-2021, 05:14 PM
Dino Enne
AutoX

Originally Posted by rrc715
Dino, this response is in a totally different direction but take for what it’s worth. My buddy owns a stereo/alarm business so I had him install a very nice (modern) stereo deck and added an amplifier which he concealed in the trunk area. He replaced all my speakers and made the system sound awesome. Now many will say you do not need a stereo and to just listen to your engine and exhaust which I cannot disagree with because it sounds awesome too. However, on longer freeway trips there is something to be said about great sounding traveling music for the freeway.

So my suggestion, and that’s all it is, is to do what you like since it’s your car and enjoy every minute of it while you own it. Some day it will get a new caretaker who will likely modify to his/her own liking.

Good luck on your P-car journey. RRC
Hello. You're right. But I think I'll rarely turn it on. I'd just like to replace the broken radio.
Thank you.
Old 08-23-2021, 05:47 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dino Enne
The connector to connect to the stereo is rectangular, not round. Maybe I should take out the amplifier.
Yes, for the Premium Sound optioned car with the large speaker boxes on the doors and the amp under the seat one of the radio connectors should be rectangular and one is round. If your car has the speaker boxes and amp and is different than this we would love for you to post some pictures of the back of your original radio and the plugs that go into it as a Premium Sound configuration without the round DIN connector I have not come across before.

If your car is not a premium sound optioned car it has round speakers in the door cards and no amp under the seat and uses no line-level outputs to a power amp. In this case, it has two rectangular connectors one for electric control and one for speaker attachment. Putting a new radio head in becomes much simpler as a replacement radio with power amps internal to it will be a direct fit with a simple adapter from Tore. In this case, replacing the original round speakers in the door with even a set of inexpensive aftermarket 2-way coaxial speakers <$75 will profoundly improve the sound. If you have already purchased a radio head without an internal power amp it can be used with any number of power amps sold in the aftermarket. I used a 4 channel Alpine amp with 75W RMS per channel under my passenger seat. Works great.

Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 08-23-2021 at 05:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pp000830:
Dino Enne (09-01-2021), M. Schneider (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 06:31 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Output (Spkr level) connector to ditch a 993 Nokia amplifier

Dino -
Yes, that is a suitable connector.

Originally Posted by Dino Enne
If I wanted to get rid of the amplifier, would this scheme be right?

So this adapter should be correct?
https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/...3-hi-fi-bypass
Dino Enne (09-01-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 06:42 PM
Dino Enne
AutoX

Dino -

As mentioned, Tore at www.bergvillfx.com is the go-to resource here. Are you certain to make use of the factory Nokia amplifier? (w/round (DIN) Input connector / Output connector is rectangular shaped w/wiring to speakers) The IC amps (15w RMS) incorporated in the Nokia amplifier, circa the 1990s, are historic by any comparison. The IC amps used in a present-day modern head unit radio are far superior. . Do reach out to Tore for the audio wiring specific's when bypassing the Nokia amplifier. It's a well-traveled practice.
What features should crossover filters have?
Thank you

Quick Reply: Aftermarket stereo