Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I HATE my dealership

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 11:06 PM
scs32
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry -- I wasn't clear. I meant to indicate that, at the time, I was unbiased in my observation. I was just standing there waiting for my part. I wasn't emotional. I hadn't been charged for my part, etc.

If I had been the guy who was locked out of his car, I would have been extremely upset and it would have colored my opinion. It was simply a point of reference as to my bias or lack thereof.

I started the thread as much as anything to get people's opinions on indys. I have never used them and didn't feel comfortable.

I fully admitted that it was the straw that broke the camel's back. How hard it is to quote an accurate price for a switch? Am I out of line to think that if I walk into a store to get a standard part and ask point blank "how much will it be?" that I can an accurate response?

The only reason that I mentioned the incident at all was because people asked.

Does that make more sense?

Cheers,
Steve
Old 04-12-2004, 11:15 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Whatever scs32 says...Barrier Porsche is prolly not the place to take a 993.

However, I just bought a used 2001 Volvo (wo-wo) from Barrier Volvo and am treated like a king there. Go figure, Jimmy Barrier owns both places. I almost would not go there because of bad experiences at the Porsche store. They can give a S#$T. I order parts from Carlsen who match the Sunset 15% over cost for us in WA and OR. Service is from an independant; Squires. Have had great experiences there. YMMV...
Old 04-12-2004, 11:26 PM
scs32
Advanced

Originally posted by Bruce SEA 993
Whatever scs32 says...Barrier Porsche is prolly not the place to take a 993.

However, I just bought a used 2001 Volvo (wo-wo) from Barrier Volvo and am treated like a king there. Go figure, Jimmy Barrier owns both places. I almost would not go there because of bad experiences at the Porsche store. They can give a S#$T. I order parts from Carlsen who match the Sunset 15% over cost for us in WA and OR. Service is from an independant; Squires. Have had great experiences there. YMMV...
Which Carlsen? I just moved from the Bay Area a little while back and got everything done at Carlsen's in Palo Alto. They were very pleasant there. I'm just curious if the name was a coincidence.

I'm checking out Redmond European. So far they seem nice and helpful.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 04-13-2004, 01:30 AM
Brett - 1996 C4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry

OK, I'll weigh in here, having been the victim of Barrier's "service". I had just gotten my car (with extended warranty) from Scottsdale Porsche (one PO). It had the leaking steering rack, so I figured I would get that fixed. So I take it into Barrier and I tell them all of the extended warranty info is on the seat. You would think they would know what to do, but noooooo. Turns out the warranty company wants to inspect parts before they are removed from the car. Barrier removes the rack anyway and then I find out the warranty situation. Then Barrier calls the warranty company, explains what is happening, and schedules an inspector to come take a look at the old rack. Barrier promises to keep the old rack until the inspector comes by. On the appointed day, I call to ask how the inspection went. Barrier informs me that it didn't happen, because they had thrown the old leaking rack away before the inspector got there. Incompetent bumbling morons. To its credit, Barrier ate the cost on that one.

Plus, then they tell me the rear control arms "are shot." After talking to Steve Weiner and Denny Akers, I think I was had by Barrier. Both of them told me that the rear control arms should not just wear out, at least at the mileage my car had on it at the time (30K). Pretty dishonest of Barrier, if you ask me.

I think the reason Barrier is so bad is because they can be. After all, when you have possibly the most price-insensitive group of people on the planet in the immediate area (i.e., Micro$oft employees, at least the ones who got in before the stock price stopped going up), why bother with good service? Where else will they go if they want a Porsche? Tacoma? (For those of you not in the area, Tacoma is about 30 miles south of Seattle. Also has a nice stench from all the paper mills down there, hence "the aroma of Tacoma". But I digress).

I've been taking my car to Akers on Broadway in Seattle since that experience (Denny himself worked on my car the last time) and have been happy with their service. I also had John Walker do an alternator replacement when Akers shop was closed for vacation. Finally, I had my RS clutch/flywheel done by Steve down in Portland. You don't want to go there if you are easily influenced; otherwise, you will be walking out with PSS-9's and the ROW gearing.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:00 AM
Stu
Instructor

I've had limited experience with Barrier. What I have found to be true is; They are very expensive (more than twice that if independents) - but if you're a paying customer, they love you!

My .02 - Squire is very good. Not the cheapest in town, but honest, polite and knowledgable. Give him a try.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:22 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why is there even a debate about dealerships? I would never take my car to any dealership, ever, anywhere, anytime. There are simply too many other options out there. Dealerships are soooo overpriced, usually rude and unhelpful and NEVER more competent or honest than a good independent shop.

Does it make someone feel good to have a dealer stamp in their maint. booklet? The 30k miles service receipt I have from the PO's dealer has the "authorized dealer" stamp on it. But they didn't even touch some of the stuff they billed for. What does the stamp mean? It means the PO didn't know anything about his car, had more dollars than sense, got taken to the cleaners and that the dealership was either totally crooked or incompetent or both. If I absolutely have to have a part immediately on a Sat. morning and cannot get it anywhere else, I might break down and go to a dealer for it. For repair work it's DIY only. No one cares about my car or my wallet more than I do.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:13 PM
JohnCh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I've used most of the Seattle area shops for my 944 turbo and my two favorites are Chris's German Auto Service and Redmond European. Chris and Monty both do great work and are very customer centric.

-John
Sammamish, WA
Old 04-13-2004, 03:33 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

I just had my state inspection completed at Boardwalk Porsche in Dallas and happily paid $50 for two windshield wiper blades and $50 for the inspection. Hey, its the only money a dealer sees from me each year so I can't complain.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:43 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't agree that all dealers are bad...a dealer has done the following for me - fixed jammed CD changer (aftermarket Porsche/Becker), looked up radio and key code, fixed leaking valve cover gaskets. That said I have independents do most of the work on my cars.

Quick Reply: I HATE my dealership