Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 09:51 AM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Is this safe ! ????

When I changed my oil on Saturday, I noticed this to my suprise:

History:

-PO had an alignment & corner balance on 5/7/02.
-These tires were on for approx 12K miles.
-At least 3 DE's at Limerock Park (mostly right handers).
-The tire in question is the right (passengers) front. The driver's front just has the beginings of the problem starting to occur. The belts coming through are on the inside of the tire.
-Car is a C4.

Questions:

-I need to drive the car to my indy for new tires, mount/balance and alignment. About 25 miles in the rain, taking it slow and easy. WOuld it be safe to drive on?
-Is it normal for an alignment to be out enough to cause the belts to come through after 2 years?
-Due to DE's?
-Or, crappy alignment the first time?

TIA.
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2004, 09:52 AM
Evan
Burning Brakes

And another view.
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2004, 10:04 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Evan,

It sounds like there was too much negative camber on the RF tire. Usually DE's will wear out the outside edges because there is too little neg camber.

As for driving it 25 miles, I guess if you took it really easy, you could get to your mechanic without a problem. All of that cord would make me very nervous, though.

Good luck.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:14 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Evan,

I'll agree with Mark, I would be very nervous with that much belt/cord showing. I corded a set of BFGs at Mid Ohio last year and limped it home to Chicago without a problem, but I didn't have nearly as much belt/cord showing.

I had the same thing happen to me and it was the inside of the inside tire where most of the wear could be when the other tire is the outside tire most of the time. Now I run MPSCs that I swap from side to side between each event to try and spread the wear on the tires.

Good luck with the trip to the shop.

-Skip
Old 04-13-2004, 10:21 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would be REAL worried; you're thru the steel belt, which mean NOTHING is left.

Can't you take the tires off and transport them up in a "daily driver"? Might have to do it two tires at a tiem; PITA but better than having that thing blow out on you and causing an accident.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:36 AM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Evan, take some liquid nails and a putty knife and apply a liberal amount of adhesive over the cords. Wait five hours or more and drive to your indy. Do not stop at any peep shows or fast food and you will be fine if you late apex all left hand turns.
Steve
Old 04-13-2004, 11:44 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

What concerns me most is that you may have been driving on the track with tires in this condition. If so, you were putting yourself and your instructor in serious danger, IMO.

Before every session you should look your tires over and check pressure. It is also a good idea to look at the brake pads every other session or so. Overly cautious is a good thing.
I was in a beautiful 993TT that lost all the air in the passenger side rear tire (not sure if it was due to something we hit on the track or what) and we ended up in a tire wall. Not fun for him, nor I. Thankfully he got the car turned sideways and we hit in a glancing blow vs. a straight a head hit.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Nemick42
Instructor

Has Paul Tracy been driving your car??

Neil
Old 04-13-2004, 11:57 AM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Greg - Point Very well taken.

After our DE, we took the car to FL and before we went on the trip, I did have the car in for a check up to make sure all was OK. I did specifically ask to have the tires checked to make sure they were OK. I knew the rears were probably due after the 3K trip, but wanted to make sure just in case. I was told all were OK. I am guessing the 3K FL trip did most of the wear of the belts. From seeing them now, I guess we were real lucky we got back OK. Right after that trip, the car went in for car was in for the winter.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:01 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Evan,
Most likely the trip did the tires in. 3k miles is 1/3 to a 1/4 of the life of them and driving all highway miles will wear the inside edges out quicker.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:02 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

CarreraGT had the same issue this weekend, only he did not know it. Soon after you loose the structual integrity of the of the belts at the corners, the sidewalls are free to come loose. Adam had a nice 18 mile walk after his went flat on him. And then a mile from his house after he got a spare was was driving home, the other side went flat.... At least he has very consistant tire wear side to side...

I would not drive on those....
Old 04-13-2004, 12:02 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Evan, Perhaps your viscious coupling was installed backwards and you have a mostly front wheel drive 993??
Seriously, I am at my place in Rowayton, CT for the next few days and the weather looks like crap so be careful!! By the way, do you have a front strut bar that might be too tight??
Steve
Old 04-13-2004, 12:04 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

well.. I made it home from Gingerman (south haven, MI) to chicago back on april 3rd with about that much if not MORE cord showing on my former OLD BFG R1 FRONT tires (both sides)..

It was amazing I made it home, however.. because about an hour after pulling into the garage, I got a bubble buldge because it wore through the first set of cords to the second layer.. it wasn't pretty....

I consider myself exteremely lucky I made it home.. BTW: I drove 45mph in the right lane home.. it took a long time to get home
Old 04-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Steve - I do have a front Strut Bar.

Never thought that would be a concern if overtight.

Anyone have thoughts on this issue of the strut bar?
Old 04-13-2004, 12:29 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

When I did DE's and time trials in my 993, I had the oil changed, tires checked, brakes bled/pads replaced/new rotors (whatever was needed), and the alignment adjusted before every event. I never had problems with tires at the track, or after. It may seem like overkill to some to do the alignment this often (I did 6 to 12 track events per year--sometimes more), but time at the track is precious, and so is my safety, the safety of others who ride with me, and the safety of my car.

Driving at the track is expensive. Besides the actual cost of entering the gates, you've got hotels, food, gas, brakes, tires, oil, alignments, etc. Don't skimp. You'll regret it. If that sounds too expensive, then do fewer events, but don't skimp.

Quick Reply: Is this safe ! ????