Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal clicker...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2021 | 10:34 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Default Turn signal clicker...

Our good friend Jay from Immo Block has a solution to increase the volume of the turn signal clicker...

I do not know if what I experience is normal, but I can't hear that thing unless the car is near idle speed and
sometimes, when not enough wheel turn is required, I find myself driving around like a moron going in a straight
line with the signal on....

Unfortunately, he/we need to see if there is interest in this PLUG and PLAY solution-
Are there enough buyers to warrant the undertaking?

And of course, at what price....??? Well that depends on how many are interested.

So leaving aside the price, who is interested?
thanks!
Old 08-07-2021 | 11:16 AM
ericd212
Rennlist Member

Great idea - I would be interested.
Old 08-07-2021 | 01:49 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

I hear mine fine even with Fister II. It has a unique ping sound to it which I haven't heard with any other vehicle and wouldn't want to lose that.
Why do you want it louder? Do you often forget that you turned it on just a few seconds earlier?
Old 08-07-2021 | 02:42 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hi Steven,
One of the problems I see with engineering this solution is that it is easy to do with just buying a raw buzzer and wiring it up and so would be hard to sell for very much as a kit. If the kit was an upgrade to the IMMO BOCK adding the door, headlight, and turn signal chimes back in with adjustable volume and a choice of enunciation tones then that would be something as an addition to IMMO BLOCK or an upgraded version II of it with a good value proposition selling for a few hundred dollars.
Andy
Old 08-07-2021 | 02:55 PM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Who wants a cobbled together and inelegant solution for this classy car?
A buzzer sitting there?

The turn signal issue has nothing to do with the immobilizer...

Old 08-07-2021 | 05:04 PM
TheFatArmadillo
Instructor

Interested.
Old 08-07-2021 | 05:29 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

The two biggest design flaws with the 993 are the immobilizer and the SAI system. Figure out a way to get rid of the SAI system without a check engine light and you'll be on to something.

For me, the turn signal isn't really an issue.

/
The following 2 users liked this post by fatmike:
alsamrob4 (08-11-2021), mhm993 (08-07-2021)
Old 08-08-2021 | 10:32 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatmike
The two biggest design flaws with the 993 are the immobilizer and the SAI system. Figure out a way to get rid of the SAI system without a check engine light and you'll be on to something.

For me, the turn signal isn't really an issue.

/
Mike,
You make good points!
IMMO BLOCK is a good solution for one if it annoyed one.
I think the SAI issue is overblown a little and if one replaces the SAI check valve every few years and doesn't overfill the oil it seems to not be much of an issue.
The telltale in this is once one cleans the clogged ports with the cable Roto-Rooter method and doesn't overfill the oil going forward the clog seems to not return. If it was a valve Seal/Guide issue the problem would reappear.
It was only an expensive issue when owners were convinced by an enterprising automotive technician that a Top-End rebuild was the needed fix, but most in our community know better now.
Andy
The following users liked this post:
fatmike (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021 | 10:33 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

The low volume turn signal is more of a quirk than a problem, IMO.
Old 08-08-2021 | 06:34 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pp000830
Mike,
You make good points!
I think the SAI issue is overblown a little and if one replaces the SAI check valve every few years and doesn't overfill the oil it seems to not be much of an issue.
The telltale in this is once one cleans the clogged ports with the cable Roto-Rooter method and doesn't overfill the oil going forward the clog seems to not return. If it was a valve Seal/Guide issue the problem would reappear.
It was only an expensive issue when owners were convinced by an enterprising automotive technician that a Top-End rebuild was the needed fix, but most in our community know better now.
Andy
I believe that’s true.

I’m going more for simplicity and weight reduction. I’d love to pull the entire thing out of the back of the car.

/
Old 08-08-2021 | 07:36 PM
Jbelt01
Instructor

Are turn signals designed to make noise, or was the noise a bi-product of the technology of the time? I know today they artificially add the “tick-tock” to replicate the sound of the old relays.

I ride a motorcycle so I’m used to checking if the neon green arrow is blinking. A chime isn’t something I’d purchase, but there’s no harm in providing options for those who need it.
Old 08-08-2021 | 07:51 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

I agree. I like that fact that it isn't yelling TICK-TICK at me like my wife's car.
Old 08-08-2021 | 11:19 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pp000830
Mike,
You make good points!
Andy
Andy,

While I agree that overfilled oil can contribute to SAI issues, it is a well documented fact that the valve guides are soft and as these engines pick up the miles, you'll get coked oil in those passages. One of the basic upgrades Steve Weiner did to every single 993 head was to swap out the guide material with something much more durable. This should be part of every single top end and engine overhaul in these cars, including all applications that retain original heads.

Sorry to hijack this thread but it is important to address the issue entirely and it rely solely on anecdotal evidence.

-Scott

Quick Reply: Turn signal clicker...