Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4S Whine from either frontend or rear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 08:40 PM
Ham993
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post C4S Whine from either frontend or rear?

My 97 C4S with 49,000 on it has a noticeable whine. I'm not sure if it is the front drive unit or the transaxle. It is noticeable in 4th,5th and 6th. I time trial and drive daily. I have kept the front to back tire size/ratio to spec. Has anyone else had this sound and what have you done? Troubling shooting advice. Cost? Advise and comment please.

Regards Gary
Old 06-29-2002, 01:57 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Gary, I understand your frustration with your mystery noise. This whine noise could by any number of things. I had a high pitch whine that turned out to be an ungrounded wire of the stereo deck. Also had a whine sound during the first 10 minutes of driving, which sounded like the alternator charging, but the noise went away after a clutch replacement. Even had a knocking sound that turned out to be a piece of duct-tape stuck to a tire. Noise in higher gears suggests wheel bearings, rotors, tires, wind friction or hopefully not the transmission. You might try replacing the tranny fluid with a high grade synthetic before doing any expensive diagnostics or repairs. I hope in your case it turns out to be windshield noise and nothing expensive.

All the best,

Quick Reply: C4S Whine from either frontend or rear?