Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, dimples/holes in cab top normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 10:18 AM
96cabrio
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Help, dimples/holes in cab top normal?

Friends, I just got a 96 cabrio with 12000 miles and there are two holes from wear towards the rear of the top above each window. I can see that the bracket rubs there..the dealer is telling me this is a desing flaw and normal wear and tear..is this true? any suggestions? Is this just part of the cabrio?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 06-21-2002, 01:32 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It's not normal but it happens to many tops. Mine has them too. These holes are poked by the locating pins on each side when lowered. I was at the Porsche show in South Coast last weekend and was told by a vendor that i need to replace the elastic. This elastic is supposed to pull the fabric out of the way of the pins when lowered.

Either that or just before the top comes all the way down like a few inches before it rest on the body, go on each side and see if the fabric is blocking the pins. If it is, move it backward out of the way, on both side then low the top down all the way.
Old 06-29-2002, 02:07 PM
Mark '98 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In '00, I bought a '95 cab with the same problem.

In my pre buy check out of the car, I brought it in to Robbins Auto Top in Santa Monica CA. They told me: 1) the elastic is shot and not pulling the fabric out of the say; (2) that this happens more when the top is not closed enough and the elastic is stretched out too often -- the guy I bought it from left the top down almost always; (3) a repair to replace the elastic and patch the little holes would be a few hundred dollars since they have to remove the top to do the job; and (4) that when the top is up, the holes are over the side metal frame and would likely not leak into the car.

My top has not leaked in the occasional rain my car sees or from car washes. I don't really notice the little holes any more so I have just let it be.

Hope this helps, Mark

Quick Reply: Help, dimples/holes in cab top normal?