Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Bypass circuit for "Check Engine" Carbon build up..

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 01:02 AM
993MSJ
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Sorry to disappoint, but I do not think Porsche gives a hoot about this problem relating to the consumer.
Yesterday I received final word from The Collection my Porsche dealer in Miami. I had spoken to the assistant service manager that was supposed to talk to Porsches regional manager to see if we could cover the CE (Carbon Problem) under emissions or any warranty possible. You guessed it. Declined This is very frustrating. Years back when I had my 90 C2 Cab. it also had the famous oil gasket problem. Again, the dealer and Porsche would not cover this problem. Further, my drivers door double click is getting worse. This weekend i am going out to buy a new RX-8 as my daily driver. I am so, so frustrated with our supposedly great German engineering. It is a fallacy in my humble opinion.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:06 AM
96P993
Pro

Does anyone know if there has ever been a lawsuit brought against a major car company for not honoring a warranty claim?? I would think (especially the emissions) they are bound in some way to this..I know the cost of this would not be advantageous, I just wonder if it has ever happened
Old 08-02-2003, 03:32 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in the 80's (yes I'm an old fart, had a 633) I recall BMW had a very similar problem with carbon buildup that resulted in driveability issues - too soon to be an EPA issue. They did a major warranty recall to clean out the ports and recommended the regular use of Techroline additive afterward.

Porsche Corp must feel their reputation is as important as their BMW competitors - don't they?

Why ignore what appears to be (or soon to be) an issue with owners of 3 years (not counting the non-OBDII '95s or non-993 models sharing the problem) production of their flagship model?

99P993 - Seems that a law firm wouldn't have too much trouble putting together a class of owners that are having to deal with the issue.

Porsche's recent sponsorship might indicate they're reading the forum. Sure would be valuable for them to respond to some of these issues - especially this one!
Old 08-02-2003, 03:39 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Step One: Ignore, ignore, ignore. If things get serious then; Step Two: Deny, deny, deny. Never accept responsibility. Too much liability. Step Three: quietly fix some of the really bad cases to shut them up. Step four: well if has been so long now that most of the cars aren't on the road anymore. Problem solved.

So after 6-8 years they are mostly still in Step 1 going to Step 2.....
Old 08-02-2003, 04:15 PM
96P993
Pro

Now that Porsche is a sponsor it would be nice if they had a representative avaliable on the board...They would have to find someone that knows what he/she is getting into but if they are listening they need to justify at least some of these claims...The dont drive the car a short distance, drive it like you stole it (while fun its not always possible) and the make sure its completely hot and driven before getting it inspected just doesnt cut it in my mind..
Old 08-02-2003, 04:57 PM
993MSJ
Intermediate

I would not hold my breath regarding Porsches integrity on poor engineering issues that later come back to haunt the consumer. I have been burned twice, and they can forget me purchasing any more products.. In fact, today I ordered my fully loader RX-8 to substitute as a daily driver. I will keep the 993 for club events and other fun things, but I fear what all these repairs are gonna cost me one day. I have to get the door click re-fixed after three years also. I was invited to the Cayenne road tour in Gulfstream park to test it's off-road ability..yeah right!!! not a chance I will purchase another car with such poor consumer support. Sorry for venting..
Old 08-02-2003, 10:10 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Looks like I'm learning the hard way (hope no prospective 993 buyers are looking - our resale values will skid!). I've had 4 roundels since my last shield and it's looking like this one was a mistake.

I'm told a $5000 valve job is the best (temporary) fix. Once I get this thing past(?) the emissions test I'll post it for sale and drive it a while (cause I'm a german car enthusiast and enjoy the fun drive) but will gladly offer the real story behind the reason the CE is lit (I have the reader/reset tool, but won't use it) to friends/bus associates. ( I deal almost exclusively with senior corp execs in bus and many of my friends and neighbors are the high end types that might consider a Porsche - not if I can help it).

In the meantime I'll be looking for a nice, properly supported, BMW manufactured car to be my replacement toy.

I, too, am sorry for venting. (heck, what's a forum for?)
Old 08-03-2003, 12:19 AM
96P993
Pro

ecobb while I understand your frustration I have to say I will never sell my 993...While I am not happy with the way Porsche has handled some of the "not so great" issues the car, I love the car more and more everyday. I have been DIY freak for a long time but have never had so much fun playing with my car as I do now. I love the way the car drives, feels and looks even when sitting in my garage. I think the car will go down in history, good and bad history. While I feel Porsche has abandoned the 993 and its owners, the owners will never abandon the car itself. I would highly recommend the car to anyone but make for damn sure you know what you are getting into...
P.S. I have also owned a BMW and believe me their track record isnt spotless when it comes to fixing some of its major issue..No car company is!!
Old 08-03-2003, 01:36 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

ecobb,

Can you find a qualified person to say that the problem with the carbon blockage that triggers the check engine light is either a manufacturing defect and/or a design defect?
Old 08-03-2003, 03:24 PM
96P993
Pro

Ron if Im not mistaken (and I might be) but the guys in the UK do not have this problem because they dont have the air pump cycle at start up. This air pump runs for a very short time then shuts off and has no benefit to the car after they have heated up the O2 sensors. The fact that the UK cars dont have this and dont need it tells me it is a design flaw through Porsche. The reason we have it is because of more strict clean air laws for cars. While this is fine and good the fact that we have to suffer with a worthless CEL and a "temporary" fix that runs about 5000.00 is BS. They should have done a bit more research and come up with a better idea. Since it is a bit late, the only other options for this is IGNORE IT or DEAL WITH IT..I think we all know what Porsche has decided to do
Old 08-03-2003, 03:52 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

96P993,

If that's the case, all one would need to do is have a qualified person, you know an expert, testify that it's a design flaw and that the flaw is responsible for the required and expensive fix.

In my state I believe a person can make a claim in small claims court for up to something like $7500. and not even have to hire a lawyer.

So the question remains will an expert testify that it is a design flaw? It's really just a matter of proof.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:23 AM
ecobb993
Racer

And those with '95 993 non-OBDII cars don't have to mess with the CE light and emissions test issues either.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:37 AM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Did this ever progress? Is there another thread perhaps? My car had an SAI clean at a dealership 5000 miles ago, but this issue is always looming.

Edit: It is discussed thoroughly, produced, and faded away, in this thread. https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ispreloading=1

Last edited by fnckr; 02-16-2023 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:36 AM
becker - 97'C4S
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

-- if u just need to pass an emission test
1. reset the codes with a scanner and drive around 20 miles ir so(also i think the number if starts affects it) with the same scanner check for readiness flags can get away with 2 flags not ready on most states there's a window of 3 miles before the lovely CEL lights up
2. Lots of states have a drive thru emission test check if your VIN is in their list and drive thru if so

-- If u need it fixed because you want have to clear the carbon build up(pricey unless u do it yourself) which will come back i think there's a piece u can change to delay it more

Becker
Old 02-16-2023, 11:12 AM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 714 Likes on 486 Posts

It would be nice to get this going again. I haven't had any SAI issues on my car but it would be nice to not have this hanging over my head without doing an ecu reprogram. I'd be in for one. I'll dig into the schematics this weekend and see it we can get another set of these on order. Loren would be a good source on this. Thoughts @systemsc?

Quick Reply: Bypass circuit for "Check Engine" Carbon build up..