All New Belts

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 10:53 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default All New Belts

Followed the P-Car instructions and I changed all three belts in about 1.5 hours. I thankfully did not run into any of the horror stories of stripped bolts. I love this car. I got the special tool from Sunset for $16 and I bought the gauge from the local Napa store. Thanks Robin, Tom & Skip.

Robin rated this a 6 out of 10 on a DIY scale. I found this DIY easier than the new chip, the Oil Change, the ATF change, or the hood shock replacement.

Before

Finished

Old 04-07-2004, 11:48 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Hi Dudley,

Can you post a picture of the gauge and what setting you used? My understanding is Porsche only recommends tension settings that correspond to their gauge? I have put my belts on by "feel" so I guess I should measure the tension to make sure its right.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-07-2004, 12:12 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the project!!! It is always fun to DIY...

For some real fun, try doing this on a 993TT next. The engines are set back 40mm in the engine bay compared to a NA car, so the AC compressor is almost touching the body and the 12 point wrench won't hardly go into the alternator shaft without removing the hood latch mechanism.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:51 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike, I am on the road for a couple days but first chance I get I will zip off a picture of the gauge. I got mine from a Napa Auto store who is also a Gates Belt distributor. It is exactly the same gauge as pictured in Volume 1 of the manual. It has two ranges 15-75 kg and 25-150 lbs. The scale increments noted in the manual refer to the kg or kilogram scale on the tester. The scale is in increments of 5 kg so anything more precise requires a bit of "kentucky windage". both my alternator and fan belts ended up at just under 30 kg warm. My A/C belt was just over 30 kg. When I get back I will test them again. Two notes, the tester is feal easy to use, you just push it against the belt until you here the clicking "Kricket" sound. Then you look at the gauge from the side and see where the top of the yellow indicator ends up. One other thing, they sell these gauges in different ranges - make sure you don't end up with the 50-100 kg / 100-300 lbs scale.

Dave
Old 04-10-2004, 02:47 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I checked my belts again cold and all three were about 22kg.
They are not slipping so I guess I am ok.

Old 04-10-2004, 07:37 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks!

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: All New Belts