Jack Stand Tops - here is the design

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Smile Jack Stand Tops - here is the design

I have been asked by several rennlisters to provide the drawings for the tops that I built for my jackstands. There is a picture of them:

Here are the drawings. Hope you can read them:

Of course I am posting this for people's personal use as an example of the type of stand top that can be built. I want to avoid any liablities so I do not claim that this design is suitable for any purpose (how's that for denial!).

If anyone builds one it would be interesting to see what twists people come up with. Please post!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-03-2004, 06:13 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks

Dave
Old 04-04-2004, 01:20 AM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

So did you drill a hole in the jack support such that the allen capscrew goes through it and permanently secures the "U" channel to it?
Old 04-04-2004, 05:05 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Luis,

No my jackstands already have a groove cast into the head for such a pin. If your jackstands do not have the pin then some variations come to mind:

1 - Forget the pin. You will still get a pretty positive lock on the body because of the upper pin that fits in the jacking mount on the body.

2 - Drill a hole in your jackstand and use that. Really positive lock!

3 - Instead of the through bolt use a bold that clamps down on the jackstand head. This is better than (1) but not as good as (2).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mike!

I like the idea of a positive attachment between the jack and the car as sometimes, when jacking up, the car moves fwd or back a bit (if the floor jack does not roll on the floor to compensate) and the jacks tilt making me concerned that they could fall off.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:36 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I agree with locking the stands to the car although my stands to not tilt very much (if not all) even when I put the rear of the car up in the air to pull the engine out. Mind you I am very carefull to make sure the floor jack is positioned in the direction that most of the movement will occur and all my floor jacks have wheels. Maybe that is why I did not see that. I like this solution better than flat topped stands (of course) ;-)

Here are a few additional shots to give you an idea of what the puck portion looks like.

I also made an extra one with magnets etc. that I use for the top of my jack...it means the jack is well anchored to the car and does not slip.
It is out of stainless steel and used rare earth magnets so you can "attach" it to the car before jacking. Looks really nice and was fun to make.

Here it is on the jack with the car.

Have fun!!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-04-2004, 02:23 PM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oooh. That's nice! Not sure if my Grizzly mini-lathe can handle that much. No knurling attachment either...
Old 04-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Mike J, Outstanding! Thank you. ~Mike
Old 04-04-2004, 03:47 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

What I've been thinking about is drilling a hole in the _top_ portion of the jackstand movable part and screwing down a hockey puck. That should work and the top of the bolt that holds the puck down will fit into teh jackpoint hole in teh body, giving it further positive feel. But I like the idea of teh bracket to make the puck sit flat, so I'll probably use that too.
Thanks, Mike!

Quick Reply: Jack Stand Tops - here is the design