Sponsored by:

Seat Mounting Hardware Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 07:14 PM
huwla
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Seat Mounting Hardware Guidance

I'd like to order new hardware in preparation for replacing my OEM comfort seats with newly acquired OEM sport seats. I have to say I'm a bit confused by what I see in PET. First off an observation, the sport seat diagram references two different index numbers for the same screw (#4 and #12). These both represent part number (900-119-030-02). This is contrary to the comfort seat diagram which uses a single index (both are #18). Interesting inconsistency there.

The big confusion is that PET indicates a totally different quantity for the number of washers needed than the number of screws. It calls for 12 total screws (makes sense) but only calls for a total of 8 washers consisting of two different types (doesn't make sense). Would really appreciate if someone could explain the per seat hardware configuration beyond this diagram?

Last edited by huwla; 04-21-2021 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:30 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I believe the above picture looks to be in error.
On my car all six screws per seat are the same type, low-profile socket head screws with a short unthreaded neck below the head.

On my hardback sport seats:

--The rear of the track, on each side, uses the rectangular perch backing plate with two cap screws and a washer under each that screw into it through the track perch using the plate to clamp the seat track down. This makes sense as in a frontal collision the rear fasteners take the loading from the seatbelt.

--The front of the track uses one screw on each side that screws into a threaded insert in the track perch and uses two washers to space so the neck on the capscrews does not pull down into the threaded insert in the track mount.

I can see how that at some time in the past a backing plate was used in the front position as well as there are two spaced holes in the perch under the front and later the design moved to a threaded insert in the perch face and the plate was eliminated.
Then again trying to guess what was in some German engineers' minds over 25 years ago is just a guess.

Here is more information on the subject:
https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...out-drama.html

If others' seats are not held down like the ones in my car, threaded insert in the front and plate w/two screws in the back, please chime in as I have only two data points on the two seats in my car and I may be living under a misapprehension.

Hope this helps.
Andy

UPDATE, After further investigation, something is not right with my car and I plan to reconfigure the fasteners and washers accordingly.
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 04-22-2021 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:41 AM
paulkromz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

The rear threaded insert on my 993 has 3 holes as opposed to the two holes up front.

I just searched PET a few days ago to confirm this as (thanks to PO) one of mine are bent and need replacing (imagine trying to seat a bolt at a crazy angle with a wobble extension that just wont seat)

I am not saying this is your answer, but it may be the direction they were sending you from the number of bolts listed. Check your 993 and report back.

Best,
Paul
Old 04-22-2021, 01:43 PM
huwla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pp000830
UPDATE, After further investigation, something is not right with my car and I plan to reconfigure the fasteners and washers accordingly.
Andy
Thx Andy. Can you elaborate on your reconfiguration plan? I assume your per track screw positioning is correct (2 in the back; 1 in the front). However, the position/number/type of washers is what needs reconfiguration. Correct? Are you planning to adhere to the digram which indicates double washers in the back and single in the front?

Last edited by huwla; 04-22-2021 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:55 PM
huwla
Rennlist Member

Just noticed a note in PET regarding the rear washer setup. For the double washers (#5) it says, "only together with assembly seat rail rear." Not quite sure how to interpret that. The #5 washers are thinner than the #11 washers in the front. But the net result of stacking two #5s provides greater spacing for the screw than a single #11. Perhaps that's important in the rear to avoid something in the track.

Last edited by huwla; 04-22-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:10 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by huwla
Thx Andy. Can you elaborate on your reconfiguration plan? I assume your per track screw positioning is correct (2 in the back; 1 in the front). However, the position/number/type of washers is what needs reconfiguration. Correct? Are you planning to adhere to the digram which indicates double washers in the back and single in the front?
Hi huwla,
Yes, reconfigure the washers. It is interesting that the front and back use different numbers for the same washer size. Washers come in various standard thicknesses and hardnesses even in the same metric thread size. I have a note into Pelican Parts to reply with the difference between the two washers or if they are really the same.

Andy
Old 04-22-2021, 06:27 PM
huwla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pp000830
Hi huwla,
Yes, reconfigure the washers. It is interesting that the front and back use different numbers for the same washer size. Washers come in various standard thicknesses and hardnesses even in the same metric thread size. I have a note into Pelican Parts to reply with the difference between the two washers or if they are really the same.

Andy
Thx Andy. Interested to hear Pelican's answer on this. From PET, the washers are two different part numbers. Having now acquired both from Sunset, I can see that they are two different thicknesses (took a picture and posted below). The washers for the back (#5 in the diagram) are not quite as thick as the washer for the front (#11). Here are the part numbers:

#5 (washer) = 900-025-007-03
#11 (washer) = 900-089-006-01

Last edited by huwla; 04-22-2021 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:45 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Nice pictures! I will add them to the mounting instructions on my blog.

Last edited by pp000830; 04-22-2021 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2023, 02:26 PM
Zed.
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 150 Posts
Default This is not correct for 993 Sport Seats

I read this a while back and even ordered the bolts and washers specified. After removing my original 993 hardback sport seats, it's clear that the image above and instructions and washers are not correct for sport seats.
The front bolts (1 to a side) have 2 washers each, same size, yellow zinc plated.
The rear bolts (2 to a side) have but 1 washer each, same size as front, yellow zinc plated.
Here's what original looks like. I don't know where you got that image of seats and hardware but its definitely not a 993 sport seat.
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2023, 03:21 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by Zed.
...I don't know where you got that image of seats and hardware but its definitely not a 993 sport seat.

Looks like the drawings came from the PET. Here's the section on 993 Sport Hardbacks specifically.

That said, the PET drawings aren't always 100% accurate. Not the first time a page or two was written on a Friday afternoon (aka... beer o'clock).

Last edited by boomboomthump; 01-21-2023 at 03:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Seat Mounting Hardware Guidance