Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to pull the trigger on a 993 - New to me 993!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 03:49 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,233 Likes on 2,207 Posts

I'd recommend PPF. There is more of a risk of pulling paint on a repainted panel than an OEM paint panel.

Regarding storage, I would store it come winter. If you did want to drive it come winter, I'd recommend a product like Fluid Film to at least protect it.
Old 07-11-2021, 03:53 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 236 Posts

Yes I hear you for PPF but the front bumper has already been resprayed so there is more probability that the paint will peel off if PPF is applied.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:47 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by Watson
Thanks! I thought the PCCM would be helpful as a backup GPS if I drive on remote mountain roads where 4G signal is not available in my phone.

I will probably follow your advice and winterize the 993. The car is too valuable to risk damageing the undercarriage.
Oh sure, as a backup, I could see that. Just need to ensure the maps stored within the PCCM are up to date and include the area in which you will travel.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:57 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 236 Posts

Hi,

Some update about my 993!

I had dropped the car at the mechanics for miscellaneous works :
- double ignition system fully refurbished (there were no issues, it was a preventive replacement),
- change old rear tyres Michelin Pilot Sport N3 by new ones. Front ones were replaced by new ones just before I took possession of the car.
- check why the seatbelt light was on (it was the seat buckle),
- check oil pressure too low (below 2 bar at idle when engine is warm) : it is OK now because now temperatures dropped compared to this summer. A small seepage was seen between gearbox and engine but my mechanics told me to add this to the list of things that will be taken care of when the engine will be dropped for clutch replacement in the future. So the oil pressure sender had not been replaced.
- clutch liquid was replaced because I could sense that the travel is in 2 steps and the pedal would not come up as high as the brake pedal.

I went on to a rallye in the French Alps driving in the Route des Grandes Alpes. Some pictures below :

1st stop in the French Alps.

Everyone arrived at hotel

Spyders + Carrera T

In the clouds...

Lunch at the (artificial) lake

It was my first rally and the first time I could properly drive the 993 on mountain roads. I was a bit worry about the weather because it was raining cats on my way from Paris to the Alps. Sorry the car is dirty on the pics, I did not wash it during the rally. Thankfully there was no rain during the 2 days of this rally.

This rally was ideal to properly test the car after the purchase and I am happy to report that the car behaved very well. Being a 25+ year old car, I managed my expectations but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Mountain roads are really where she shines. Engine is pulling strong, brakes feel is good (consistency of the pedal and endurance - no fading during the whole trip), steering is sharp, grip is good (probably helped by the fact the 4 tyres were new), gearbox lever actuation feels short and sharp enough. I am really happy with my purchase - buying a car in top condition and maintaining to the highest standard is indeed very rewarding.

I met a lot of people very nice and welcoming, so happy to be part of the Porsche family. It was also very nice to hear from Porsche owners who used to have 993 and moved on to newer generations.

Having the sunroof makes the drive more enjoyable - to see the sun, feel the wind and listen to the sound of the flat 6.
I tested the PCCM navigation - screen is useless (too small and too low, a lot of glare) so I just ended up using Googlemaps. I did have Bluetooth disconnections from times to times for the music though.

Regarding the negatives:
- the motorway driving is not so nice because the engine noise and the aero noise - cannot really listen to music. I would like to add more acoustic insulation in the future but it might remove the enjoyment of engine sound on mountain roads.
- the clutch pedal fell down during the night after the last day of the rally. I was told it is a common issue on 993, I pulled it up from behind with my feet the following morning.

All in all, it was a memorable experience and it just confirmed buying the 993 was the best purchase I did in years. I got so much joy and good memories in less than 4 months of ownership - I can't wait for the future adventures with these cars. I love my 993!!

Last edited by Watson; 10-06-2021 at 06:00 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Watson:
alsamrob4 (10-06-2021), ClassicAndy (10-06-2021), drodg (10-06-2021), Gator06 (10-06-2021), m5biemer (10-08-2021), sacman (10-06-2021), SToronto (10-06-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: About to pull the trigger on a 993 - New to me 993!