Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to pull the trigger on a 993 - New to me 993!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 09:25 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 310 Posts

headlight washers only work when the lights are on. FYI.
Old 05-01-2021, 02:37 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by PRSWILL
headlight washers only work when the lights are on. FYI.
Thanks, yes we did turn the headlights on but I cannot remember if we pulled or pushed the stalk.

Also, I was told I would need to keep the 993 on trickle charger if the car is not used more than 2 weeks because the alarm drains the battery. Do 2 weeks seem normal or not?
I read people having drain battery issues on 933 have their battery drained in 3 to 4 days (or less). The alarm seem to work fine (no random activation), there is no key fob, just the regular metal key. I‘ll ask if the car is equipped with a tracker. There was an aftermarket stereo and aftermarket CD changer that were installed before but that the seller removed them (currently a Becker stereo).

Old 05-04-2021, 07:35 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

So I had more driving time with the 993 during the 2nd day with the owner. I drove more than 100km, mostly motorway but a fair amount of mountain roads.
Motorway driving made me realize the car is a bit noisy, NVH of the 993 is by definition not as good as the modern 911s that I was able to drive in more recent years (997.2, 991.2 and 992).
It's funny because the 1st time I drove a 993, that was in 2007 and I also drove a 964 prior to the 993 that day and my impression at that time was that the 993 was much more refined than the 964 in terms of NVH but also controls of the car (steering, gearshift lever). I guess that's what they call progress.

I am now fully used to the pedal box not aligned with the driver's seat.
The clutch operation is still a learning curve for me at take off (have not driven a manual gearbox for years so the problem is more with me than the 993).
I start to really like the hard brake pedal, very easy to modulate the braking.
The highlight for me is the steering. Quite heavy in a good sense and you can point and shoot and the car will go where you point at.
Gearshift is tight, gearshift longitudinal travel is not as bad as what I could read even if I would still consider a short shifter. Lateral move of the shifter is crisp - I like it.

The mountains road is where the car shines. I am only scratching the surface but I have a feeling that carving mountain roads will be an amazing experience with a 993.

Refueling before hitting the mountain roads

One question though : how to protect the front end from stone chips when I drive the car back home? Does the use of Scotch Blue Painter tape is OK or not (would not look very good but I don't care, I will just drive the car straight back home).

Thanks in advance,
The following users liked this post:
masti99 (05-30-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 08:46 PM
sacman
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Watson
So I had more driving time with the 993 during the 2nd day with the owner. I drove more than 100km, mostly motorway but a fair amount of mountain roads.
Motorway driving made me realize the car is a bit noisy, NVH of the 993 is by definition not as good as the modern 911s that I was able to drive in more recent years (997.2, 991.2 and 992).
It's funny because the 1st time I drove a 993, that was in 2007 and I also drove a 964 prior to the 993 that day and my impression at that time was that the 993 was much more refined than the 964 in terms of NVH but also controls of the car (steering, gearshift lever). I guess that's what they call progress.

The clutch operation is still a learning curve for me at take off (have not driven a manual gearbox for years so the problem is more with me than the 993).
The highlight for me is the steering. Quite heavy in a good sense and you can point and shoot and the car will go where you point at.
Gearshift is tight, gearshift longitudinal travel is not as bad as what I could read even if I would still consider a short shifter. Lateral move of the shifter is crisp - I like it.

The mountains road is where the car shines. I am only scratching the surface but I have a feeling that carving mountain roads will be an amazing experience with a 993.

One question though : how to protect the front end from stone chips when I drive the car back home? Does the use of Scotch Blue Painter tape is OK or not (would not look very good but I don't care, I will just drive the car straight back home).

Thanks in advance,
It's quite evidently that your car has a fan looking at it already. Enjoy the ride back.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:50 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

Consider wrapping the front half of the car at least in clear stone guard before your trip
Old 05-05-2021, 02:35 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sacman
It's quite evidently that your car has a fan looking at it already. Enjoy the ride back.
Well spotted haha.
Many thanks!
Old 05-05-2021, 02:36 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paolo1
Consider wrapping the front half of the car at least in clear stone guard before your trip
yes, the problem would be to find a good shop to do it before :-)
Old 05-05-2021, 03:02 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 665 Likes on 412 Posts

Thanks in advance,

Look good? This is what you get when you cross blue painter tape with OCD and a brand new (silver) car. This was two miles from the dealership because I was too embarrassed to do it there.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:05 AM
sacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paolo1
I would just tape the front bumper with painter tape like they often do at the track with headlights.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:58 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Look good? This is what you get when you cross blue painter tape with OCD and a brand new (silver) car. This was two miles from the dealership because I was too embarrassed to do it there.

Ha! Amazing! I thought I was the only one who would be embarrassed to tape only the front of the car but you did tape the whole GT4!!
Must have taken you a very long time but I admire the perseverance and the dedication to the task!!
Porsche must have gotten the inspiration for Miami Blue from you

Thank you!
Old 05-05-2021, 05:02 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

I would just tape the front bumper with painter tape like they often do at the track with headlights.
Yup. I was not able to find a reputable shop for the clear bra to be installed so painter tape it is.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:03 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

@sacman : Were there some areas where you put a double (or more) layer of painter tape such as front wings, frunk, front bumper?
Old 05-05-2021, 05:06 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Small update : front tires were changed (previous ones had to be changed and were not well balanced hence steering wheel vibrations present above 80mph). Problem sorted now and no more vibrations.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:46 AM
sacman
Rennlist Member

@sacman : Were there some areas where you put a double (or more) layer of painter tape such as front wings, frunk, front bumper?
Honestly, I think would just double tape the entire bumper and call it a day. In Northern California during the summer, it helped with dead the bugs a lot. As for putting on the clear bra, I found that it's cheaper and more enjoyable to just enjoy the car and repaint the bumper whenever it doesn't match the rest of the car. These car a meant to be driven and you'll get back your money in ten folds from the driving experience. I stop worrying about paint chips once I decided that it is a toy to serve me and I'm not saving it for the next owner.

QN
Old 05-06-2021, 11:41 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Honestly, I think would just double tape the entire bumper and call it a day. In Northern California during the summer, it helped with dead the bugs a lot. As for putting on the clear bra, I found that it's cheaper and more enjoyable to just enjoy the car and repaint the bumper whenever it doesn't match the rest of the car. These car a meant to be driven and you'll get back your money in ten folds from the driving experience. I stop worrying about paint chips once I decided that it is a toy to serve me and I'm not saving it for the next owner.

QN
Thanks for your input and agreed! I never put PPF on a car that belongs to me. But there is definitely a satisfaction for me which is that after I detail and polish the paint, just to touch the metal bodywork with my hands and feel the touch of how smooth it is, this gives me satisfaction. I do not know if you can replicate this tactile feeling with a PPF.
The following users liked this post:
sacman (05-06-2021)

Quick Reply: About to pull the trigger on a 993 - New to me 993!