993 Forum 1995-1998

Tail Lights Flickering

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 04:05 AM
ksimpson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tail Lights Flickering

This morning my tail lights (on both sides) started flickering. All the other lights seem ok. Anyone any ideas?
Old 04-01-2004, 01:29 PM
ksimpson
Racer

Got into the car this afternoon and everything was fine again. I washed the car last night so water may have got in somewhere.

Is there a relay for the tail lights? Nothing else appeared to be affected.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:29 PM
ksimpson
Racer

Ok, this looks as though it might be a bit more serious. I was out again tonight and the lights started flickering. When I got home, I turned the ignition off. When I put my foot on the brake, all the warning lights started flickering and the needles were twitching.

This even happens with the key out of the ignition but only when the lights are on.

Any pointers would be very much appreciated. Looks like a short, but I don't even know where to start looking.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:33 PM
ksimpson
Racer

Managed to solve this. It turned out to be a faulty brake/tail light bulb. One of the elements in the twin element bulb was slightly touching the other. So when I turned on my tail lights, it transferred current to the brake light element. Due to the way the lights are wired at the rear of the 993, it also lit the brake light on the other side. Just replaced the bulb and all is now fine.

A bit of a relief as I was dreading having to find a short somewhere or take up the floor to get at the brake light switch.

I also noticed that when the ignition was off and the parking lights were on, when I pressed the brake pedal, all the warning lights came on and the temperature/fuel needles came to life. I thought this was some sort of test functionality I stumbled across, but I can't get this to happen when I changed the bulb. This one remains a mystery, but current must have been getting back through the wiring harness to the instrument panel some way.

Full cost of fix - €0.75.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:43 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good for you Ken.....lucky too.....must be an Irish thing 'eh ?

By the way....you got any pics of that black leather interior ? Specifically those sport seats ?? Sounds very very nice !!!
Old 04-02-2004, 03:20 PM
ksimpson
Racer

Keith,

Here is the only picture I have which was taken shortly after I purchased the car so it's not too clean. Plan to give it a good clean and treat the leather when the weather gets better. I'll take some more pictures then.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:45 AM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 10 Posts

After searching and searching, I came upon this thread. Ken, I'm not sure if you still have your 993 or even associated with Rennlist or not, but you sure saved me some serious time and $$$.

Thanks,

Ken

Quick Reply: Tail Lights Flickering