Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 ,95 not able to fill full quantity to AC gas.. only going 540 gram out if 840 gra

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 03:54 PM
Dwad
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 993 ,95 not able to fill full quantity to AC gas.. only going 540 gram out if 840 gra

Hi guys,
today while charging AC gas in 95, 993.... I know the r134 quantity is 840 gram... So when I fill it, it go only 440 gram, even after vacuum was created... I added more quantity with our machine, I was able to put 100 gram more, but then again, my machine was not able to fill more...
i have good quantity of refrigerant in ac machine & this machine is pretty relible, so it is not problem in machine... I am expecting a block in ac system... But while I done filling total of 540 gram, I started engine & turned AC on... It is cooling properly .. what do you guys think the problem could be... ? Any tips ??
Thanks...
Old 03-17-2021, 04:22 PM
paranoidandroid
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

What are the high and low side readings? You may want to read through this complete thread, particularly the table that shows the expected pressures.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...diagnosis.html
The following users liked this post:
Dwad (03-18-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 09:21 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Hi Dwad,
Could there be a good quantity of system lubricant taking up some volume?
If the cooling is good, I would just quit while ahead as if it was truly low the system wouldn't cool.
Andy
Dwad (03-18-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 12:59 AM
Dwad
Instructor

Originally Posted by pp000830
Hi Dwad,
Could there be a good quantity of system lubricant taking up some volume?
If the cooling is good, I would just quit while ahead as if it was truly low the system wouldn't cool.
Andy
I think you are right, these are old car & with machine we can't drain all the oil but we fill oil all the time, I found some dry oil leak marks in both compressor pipes... I think I should flush the whole system, but I don't have a machine to flush...

Last edited by Dwad; 03-18-2021 at 01:00 AM.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:02 AM
Dwad
Instructor

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
What are the high and low side readings? You may want to read through this complete thread, particularly the table that shows the expected pressures.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...diagnosis.html

Reading with engine off...
Old 03-18-2021, 09:08 AM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

If your machine uses a large (for example 30 lb refrigerant can) can. Remove it from the machine. Weigh it. Write down the weight.
Recover the refrigerant from the car. If your machine 'recycles' the refrigerant into the same can weigh the can again. Write down the weight.
Evacuate the system again. Note the vacuum level before you charge with refrigerant. Charge the system.
Remove the can. Weigh it. Based your past notes of the weight on the can, how much difference is there in the actual weight.
Does it match the weight of refrigerant your machine stated that went into the system?

Excessive oil typically will not prevent you from charging the system. It would have to be a huge amount, like gallons not ounces.

Your gauges in the past picture appear to show equalized static level. What the gauge readings of the system when it is running, and
also ,what is the ambient temperature around the car when you note the readings.
Dwad (03-18-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 04:11 PM
Dwad
Instructor

Originally Posted by griffiths
If your machine uses a large (for example 30 lb refrigerant can) can. Remove it from the machine. Weigh it. Write down the weight.
Recover the refrigerant from the car. If your machine 'recycles' the refrigerant into the same can weigh the can again. Write down the weight.
Evacuate the system again. Note the vacuum level before you charge with refrigerant. Charge the system.
Remove the can. Weigh it. Based your past notes of the weight on the can, how much difference is there in the actual weight.
Does it match the weight of refrigerant your machine stated that went into the system?

Excessive oil typically will not prevent you from charging the system. It would have to be a huge amount, like gallons not ounces.

Your gauges in the past picture appear to show equalized static level. What the gauge readings of the system when it is running, and
also ,what is the ambient temperature around the car when you note the readings.
Thankyou for valuable input, I will try to take reading asap...
Ambient temperature here is around 30 °C ..

Last edited by Dwad; 03-18-2021 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:49 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwad
Ambient temperature here is around 30 °C ..
"Around" does not count.
Use a digital thermometer and stand near the LH front headlight
Dwad (03-20-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 07:26 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

This is the entire AC servicing regiment I go through:
Hi Dwad.
Every six or seven years the system seems to not blow as cool so I put a consumer can of refrigerant in purchased at Wallmart and put it in in their parking lot being sure to wear the proper attire so I blend in with the other shoppers in the parking lot even if my car doesn't. Then I take a wand-style bug sprayer with mild detergent and hose out the evaporator coil from behind the CCU and behind the left front cabin blower. I then use copious amounts of water in the sprayer to rinse out the detergent. I button things up and I am good to go for another six or seven years.
I have a set of AC manifold gauges and know how to use them but I simply have not had the need to.
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 03-19-2021 at 09:30 AM.
Dwad (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 03:44 PM
Dwad
Instructor

Originally Posted by pp000830
This is the entire AC servicing regiment I go through:
Hi Dwad.
Every six or seven years the system seems to not blow as cool so I put a consumer can of refrigerant in purchased at Wallmart and put it in in their parking lot being sure to wear the proper attire so I blend in with the other shoppers in the parking lot even if my car doesn't. Then I take a wand-style bug sprayer with mild detergent and hose out the evaporator coil from behind the CCU and behind the left front cabin blower. I then use copious amounts of water in the sprayer to rinse out the detergent. I button things up and I am good to go for another six or seven years.
I have a set of AC manifold gauges and know how to use them but I simply have not had the need to.
Andy
Thankyou for the advice, I should try this ...

Quick Reply: 993 ,95 not able to fill full quantity to AC gas.. only going 540 gram out if 840 gra