Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V1 install - kudos to my mechanic!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 02:23 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$150 seems steep but I'm still interested if they can get a machine shop to make it at a lower price.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:47 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice execution, albeit pricey. However, what's the advantage over mounting the V1 using the no cost, provided suction cup mounted w/double back tape above the mirror at the very top of the windshield? That's what several here have done incl. my install which has gone several years w/o any problems. Coupled w/the remote display my V1 is barely noticeable, day, night, inside or outside in my coupe. It easily slides out & is rock solid. Am I missing something?

BTW, an above the mirror mount doesn't work well w/the larger size visors found in some 993s.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:21 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install

Originally posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
Very nice execution, albeit pricey. However, what's the advantage over mounting the V1 using the no cost, provided suction cup mounted w/double back tape above the mirror at the very top of the windshield? That's what several here have done incl. my install which has gone several years w/o any problems. Coupled w/the remote display my V1 is barely noticeable, day, night, inside or outside in my coupe. It easily slides out & is rock solid. Am I missing something?

BTW, an above the mirror mount doesn't work well w/the larger size visors found in some 993s.
Dan,

You could be very right about your install. For many people, the traditional method may work fine. I was interested in having a "special" kind of install - inconspicuous, yet very stable and trouble free. Personally, I will probably use some form of this install on any car I get from now on. I have a Bell installed in the ashtray of my wife's Landcruiser and I can't stand it - its inconspicuous and hassle free but a pain having to try to mute, look down, etc... For me this is the best of all worlds, IMO. BTW, I spoke to Yuri today. He would be willing to create the install device with a min of 30 - 40 people in a group buy. As I mentioned before, I have absolutley no affiliation, other than as a satisfied customer. And regardless of how this turns out, I won't be getting any future discounts at his place
Old 04-01-2004, 05:32 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Install

Originally posted by akolodesh
You could be very right about your install. For many people, the traditional method may work fine. I was interested in having a "special" kind of install - inconspicuous, yet very stable and trouble free.
Alex
While not "special," my install is actually more inconspicuous since it appears my V1 unit is a bit closer to the headliner & the footprint is limited to the V1 w/o the mounting bar. The stability & reliability have been proven during years of spirited, daily, urban use. I'm not trying to start a debate nor to diminish the laudable creativity & skill of your mechanic, I'm just trying to determine if I'm overlooking a benefit that helps justify the cost.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:53 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dan,

You (and others) removed the plastic suction cups, and than used black velcro tape to adhere to top of windshield ? That way you do not see the suction cups from the outside. Clever idea if the heat does not cause the tape to get loose. Obviously it works well with your install.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:23 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Dan, I would love to see a picture of your install. May give me an idea for future modifications.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:26 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

btw Dan, Looked on your site at your car. Very nice!!
Old 04-01-2004, 10:48 PM
DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

Any advice re: the hardwiring of the 12V cord? I haven't seen any of the posts address this important part of the mounting up high between the visors...
Old 04-02-2004, 01:47 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David - actually quite a number of posts on hardwiring....also see the DIY on Robin Sun's p-car.com website. Most tap into the power for the sunroof or cab top in the center console and run the wires up under the side of the dash and the headliner trim...this works particulary well if you also want to put in a remote display, esp in the ashtray. A few have rigged a fused power line by tapping into the fuse box to run all aftermarket accessories.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:37 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by mo
Dan, You (and others) removed the plastic suction cups, and than used black velcro tape to adhere to top of windshield ? That way you do not see the suction cups from the outside. Clever idea if the heat does not cause the tape to get loose. Obviously it works well with your install.
I've posted this before, but most posts prior to this current Rennlist generation seem to be lost:

My install mounts the V1 above the rear view mirror w/clear double backed tape, wiring concealed under the windshield molding, hard wired to the ignition switched radio hot line - concealed display double taped above the steering wheel pod up against the tach in line of sight. Very solid, clean looking mount, V1 easily removable, great performance, display easily visible to driver, but stealthy for others. Works very well for my coupe - over mirror clearance is a problem for cars with the larger visors.

I affixed the V1 windshield suction cup mount to the top of the windshield glass using 3M clear, double backed tape (available at Home Depot) cut to the size of the cups. I have a spare V1 windshield mount so the ability to remove the mount was not an issue for me. My prime goal was to have as secure a mount as possible. When I first did this install, the tape would not hold to the rubber cups when exposed to high heat from the sun. My eventual solution was to instant glue the paper side of 1500 grit sandpaper to the rubber cups and then use the rough side to provide extra grip for the tape. That trick has worked well. Since the paper side of the sandpaper can be seen through the clear suction cups, I painted it black. The tape to glass side needs nothing other than an alcohol cleaning of the glass to stick tight. There’s been no problem w/adhesion even parked in bright, direct sun on a 100 deg day.

The V1 body is offset towards the driver’s side so using the antenna center wire or rearview mirror location as a center mark, the mount should be located about ¼” off center to the right (passenger) side so both sun visors will clear the V1, when folded down. Position the mount with the suction cups as high up on the glass as possible (the upper edge will be under the rubber molding). Try a dry run before peeling off the protective sheet from the tape. Push hard & let it sit overnight before sliding the V1 into the mount.

This mount works best w/the concealed display since the V1 is located out of the line of sight & is barely noticeable from inside or outside the car (at least in my black interior).

Wiring is secured under the windshield molding down to under the passenger side dash where I located the V1 remote junction box & tapped power from the radio ignition switched red wire w/black stripe. There are several obvious solid grounds in the area.

Last edited by STLPCA; 07-23-2013 at 03:46 AM.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:04 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Dan. Very well done. I was unable to find your photos in recent search.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:41 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Dan, If my V1 gets hot in the pouch this summer, I'm gonna go your route in mounting it. I do have the mine hard wire with the remote display hidden in the ash tray.

For those who need hard wiring tips, here's my install
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=100094
Old 04-02-2004, 10:46 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

check this install
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2004, 03:13 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I installed mine the suction cups worked fine. I found power easily from the light in the glove compartment. The wires hid pretty well down the passenger side. The V1 does not have a very clear line of sight to the rear when mounted above the rear view mirror but I guess most of us are not too concerned about getting caught from behind

Quick Reply: V1 install - kudos to my mechanic!!