993 Forum 1995-1998

V1 install - kudos to my mechanic!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 01:01 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's a beautiful job! Always great to see someone who cares so much about doing good work. Definitely a christmas card list kind of guy.

If he does have any interest in making several more copies, I'd like to hear what the price would be. Mine is the older unit which is at least 1/8", maybe 3/16" thicker; do you think there'd be a clearance problem w. the mirror?
Old 03-30-2004, 01:08 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Default My mchanic's name is Yori Rojas

Originally posted by David in LA
I'd buy one if your mechanic wants to make a few...my car is a cab but I assume the visor mounts are in the same place.

What would be really sweet though would be a box that covers the V1 and has dark plexiglass in the front and back.
My mechanic is Yuri Rojas. He is proprietor of The Garaj here in Dayton (Master Certified, etc, etc, etc...). Here is his contact info:

The Garaj, Ltd.
3796 South Dixie Drive
Dayton, Ohio 45439
Phone: 937-294-2400
Email: info@thegaraj.com

If you contact him just let him know that Alex told you about his work. I have no affiliation whatsoever and will not in the future. I just think he is a great guy who does really outstanding "out of the box" kind of work. He is truly a perfectionist when it comes to Porsches, IMHO.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:11 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Default clearance issue

Originally posted by Robert Henriksen
that's a beautiful job! Always great to see someone who cares so much about doing good work. Definitely a christmas card list kind of guy.

If he does have any interest in making several more copies, I'd like to hear what the price would be. Mine is the older unit which is at least 1/8", maybe 3/16" thicker; do you think there'd be a clearance problem w. the mirror?
From my vantage point, i think you would be fine. I am also mechanically inept, hence the need for a good tech. Just give him a ring or email. I'm sure he would be able to provide you with the correct info.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:17 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Default Dark Plexiglass

Originally posted by David in LA
I'd buy one if your mechanic wants to make a few...my car is a cab but I assume the visor mounts are in the same place.

What would be really sweet though would be a box that covers the V1 and has dark plexiglass in the front and back.
According to the techs at V1, the unit needs to be able " to see" all around it to work effectively. That is the main problem with trying to hide it. It also has problems with dark tinted glass for its laser detection. I wonder id a dark plexiglass cover would interfere with its optimum coverage. Oh yeah, no way a cop can see this thing from the outside. In fact, my friends don't notice it sitting in the passenger seat until it beeps.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:28 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alex - Thanks for the contact info.

I was under the impression that the V1 only has sensor in the front and back...and not on the side. As the unit is shielded it would not be able to detect a signal through the casing.

WRT smoked plexiglass...I think that if a box was fitted tightly and the inside painted black or stuffed with black material then clear plexiglas would work and look black from the outside.

The problem for me is that my cars are cabs to the V1 is easily seen from the outside.

Thanks again
Old 03-30-2004, 04:48 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have one of those visor pouches that I had the upholstery shop modify for me to cary the V1 discreetly. I'll post a picture as soon as I get home.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:18 PM
DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see where the 12V power cord is...could anyone enlighten me? Other than that it looks like a superb install and I'm interested in getting a bracket for my Valentine. I wonder what Mr. Rojas will do when he has dozens of Rennlisters calling/emailing?
Old 03-30-2004, 05:30 PM
LA_Kevin
Intermediate

We'll see as I put a call into him as well this morning. He said he'd get back to me w/ a price for an uninstalled build-and-ship version.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:33 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Default power cord

Originally posted by DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see where the 12V power cord is...could anyone enlighten me? Other than that it looks like a superb install and I'm interested in getting a bracket for my Valentine. I wonder what Mr. Rojas will do when he has dozens of Rennlisters calling/emailing?
everything is tucked away - as I said before - brilliant work!!
Old 03-30-2004, 05:39 PM
DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

I wonder if we could organize a "group buy" of sorts. I understand that Mr. Rojas is a mechanic and not a production facility so this would be somewhat different than buying a "normal" product from a vendor/manufacturer. I can't imagine anyone that has both a 993 and a Valentine (and who doesn't!?) that wouldn't want this trick setup.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:57 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Carrera Mike
I have one of those visor pouches that I had the upholstery shop modify for me to cary the V1 discreetly. I'll post a picture as soon as I get home.
Alex/Akolodesh, Your's look mounted solidly in there. Great install!

Here's mine. Sorry, not the best quality. The only thing I'm worried about this is the heat dissipation. I'll monitor it this summer. But so far, this has workd good for me.

Old 03-30-2004, 06:08 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Default never thought of a pouch

Originally posted by Carrera Mike
Alex/Akolodesh, Your's look mounted solidly in there. Great install!

Here's mine. Sorry, not the best quality. The only thing I'm worried about this is the heat dissipation. I'll monitor it this summer. But so far, this has workd good for me.

do you have any issues with it moving around during spirited driving around the twisties?
Old 03-30-2004, 06:23 PM
Tech-Law
Pro

The V1 only has 1 antenna in front and 1 in back - it does not technically "see" 360 degrees. The sides are simply a casing. It displays a "sideways" light when it calculates that it's receiving the same signal from both the front and rear.

Smoked plexiglass should have no effect on it unless it's metallic tinted.

I've had more than 1 patrolman duck his head down and look at the windshield and above the mirror while deciding whether to give me a ticket or just a warning. I think the stock V1 suction cups or visor mount are similar to the solution above. Hiding the receiver in a housing - either above the mirror or in a false 3rd light - and then remoting the display in front of the driver is the only way I can see to make a truly stealthy installation.

Just my $.02
Old 03-30-2004, 06:23 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Re: never thought of a pouch

Originally posted by akolodesh
do you have any issues with it moving around during spirited driving around the twisties?
No. The flap of the pouch has velcro. But I'm sure if somebody hit me from the back(Heaven forbid) at high speed, It will come off.

Your mount will be my choice if I'm in a 'legal to use' state.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:49 PM
LA_Kevin
Intermediate

FYI, response from The Garaj this morning:

"Due to the V1 bracket being basically a "one-off" it takes a lot of our time to create another one for you. Alex is a very good customer of ours therefore we were willing to make one for him at a lower cost. It is actually very simple but time consuming none-the-less. To make one would cost about $150.00. If you are still interested let us know. We are
looking into having a machine shop produce a number of these for us so that we can offer them to customers for a lower price and at a lower cost for us. This may take some time though."

Quick Reply: V1 install - kudos to my mechanic!!