Sponsored by:

battery discharge

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 04:27 PM
Cus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post battery discharge

I'm finding that my battery( not that old )is not holding its charge very well, even after fully recharging it. The car has fairly regular use, but my dealer says that this is quite a common problem among Porsches that are not in daily use, as the alarm and imobiliser make quite a drain on the battery. Anyone experienced similar symptoms?
Old 03-28-2002, 04:34 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard from others on this board that the original Porsche battery only lasts about 3-4 years. How old is you current battery?

JEff
Old 03-28-2002, 04:39 PM
Cus
Intermediate

Hi Jeff, its probably about 3 yrs old, but I've been told that Porsche batteries don't have enough lead in them to hold on to charge for very long. You're better off getting a higher amperage on from and independant supplier.
Old 03-28-2002, 04:40 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cus
A quite common problem for cars not regularly driven. The immobilizer/alarm draws a fair amount & seems to be the culprit. Alternatives are leave the alarm off or attach a trickle charger. There have been several past threads (search archives for more, if needed). Here are a couple:

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=001353" target="_blank">battery mantenance suggestions </a>

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=001714" target="_blank">Help with Porsche trickle charger please... </a>
Old 03-28-2002, 04:42 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there's also a lot of info in the archives about replacement batteries.

I've got the optima orange top, which has a high CCA, but doesn't quite fit perfectly, but close enough. It's also sealed and maintaince free.

Jeff
Old 03-28-2002, 07:39 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My car was rarely driven in its first few years. The previous owner installed a device called "Priority Start". Evidently, it automatically senses when voltage drops too low, disables the flow of power to all accessories preserves enough battery juice to start the car. Retails for about $70. Here is a link: <a href="http://www.4unique.com/battery/priority_start/priority_start_product.htm" target="_blank">http://www.4unique.com/battery/priority_start/priority_start_product.htm</a>

Keep in mind that this device will kill power to your radio, DME, and other accessories when voltage drops too low but should (theoretically) preserve enough juice to start the car. If the device kicks in you'll have to reprogram your radio settings, etc... I have no idea if the power locks will function when the device is in protection mode.

I pulled the device off my car since it's driven often and it was poorly mounted with zip-ties and an exposed "hot" terminal. I would prefer to use a trickle charger for extended periods of inactivity.

Matt
Old 03-29-2002, 08:29 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Does someone know how long (approx.) it takes until alarm empties the battery (if it's in good condition)? Does it really take that much power? I mean, those red little lights doesn't take anything, what else in the alarm is discharging..?

I'm need to leave the car for about 5 weeks & need it to be locked but I don't want to have dead battery when I get back I could just lock the doors with keys (& leave the alarm off but l would like to leave the alarm on).

If I do end up with dead battery, is there any 'special' things I need to do when I charge it? (I know how to charge the battery but I'm thinking DME, alarm etc. related things)
Old 03-30-2002, 05:36 PM
James_J
Advanced

Question

A couple of days ago I took delivery of a new (to me) '97 993 C2S. Fantastic!

With regard to charging the battery after a couple of weeks' non-use (sad I know)...the salesman said that I don't need to disconnect the battery from the car when charging / maintaining, but the Porsche manual says you must disconnect it.

Are Porsche just covering themselves, do you really need to disconnect the battery when charging it (having hassle with re-entering the radio code etc) or do you risk damage to the electrics if you don't?

Appreciate advice.

Quick Reply: battery discharge