Suspension work in NW Ohio or SE Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 09:27 PM
chris322
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension work in NW Ohio or SE Michigan

Just wanted to know if anyone could recommend an independent Porsche mechanic that would do some suspension work in the NW Ohio/SE Michigan area. I need to have springs/shocks installed and have an alignment and corner balance done. A fellow Rennlister recommended a shop in Toledo for suspension work, however I cannot get the guy to call me back to set up a time. I talked to the gentlemen once and he seemed real nice. But, when I actually received my parts and wanted to set-up an appointment I haven't been to talk to him. I have left leave three messages for the guy with the secretary that answers the phone since last Monday and cannot get him to return my calls. I guess the shop does not want my business now or in the future. Its incredibly frustrating and I am running out of options. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:56 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Chris,
That is a sharp looking car. I'd like to see it sometime !!
There is a shop in Ann Arbor that is highly regarded. Another shop I would consider is Eric Steinel's in Cleveland. He is excellent, and has a bigger operation than the others. He is a little pricey, and a bit of a drive from Toledo, but his work is of the highest quality.

The place in Ann Arbor is Eurotech (734) 973-6335

Eric Steinel Cleveland suburb, Twinsburg (330) 425-8582

and another excellent , but smaller independent Porsche master mechanic in the Cincinnati area, Franklin, Ohio

Farler Performance (513) 932-1535

Hope this helps.

Chuck
Old 03-30-2004, 12:16 AM
chris322
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chuck. Thanks for the response. I actually sent you an e-mail when I first bought the car in Nov. and it got sent back because of a wrong e-mail address or something. Then I got busy with tax season and stored the car for the winter and never followed up. I will give you a call and stop over with the car as soon as I get my suspension work done and throw some new tires on the back. Thanks again for the test drive and the advice. It was very helpful.

Per my original post, I have not had much luck with the contact that you gave me for suspension work in Toledo. It is disappointing because the guy sounded very competent and nice and the shop's prices were very competitive. I will check into the other places that you have mentioned.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:07 AM
CMMTracknut
Instructor

Hey Chris
Chuck is right on. I have been working with Eurotec for some time. Tim is a straight up guy. He will admit that he has not worked on as many 993s as has has 911s but I trust him implicitly. Some of our other 993 buddies have had their suspension worked on in Birmingham at a place called AutoEurope. I have not had any direct service or sales contact with the Schick broghers(owners) but I have talked to them at the track many times.

Beautiful car! Chuck maybe we should have a 993 breakfast or lunch?
Christian
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2004, 11:03 AM
chris322
Addict
Rennlist Member

Christian:

Love the look of that race car. That car looks tough. I would love to make the short trip up to Ann Arbor to eat and talk Porsches. I think Chuck P. would be in to the trip as well. As soon as I get my suspension work done and some new tires on, I will be in touch.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:03 PM
Jason R
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Chris,

Did you end up getting an appointment with the independent place that Chuck recommended in Toledo? Was that Ron Winter's shop by any chance?

On Chuck's advice, I also contacted Ron, and got an appointment with him for this coming week. He said he would be doing a suspension install on a 97 C2S---sounded like it was your car. Anyway, my car will be down there at the same time as yours for a corner balance and alignment, and Ron said he would make it a 993 day

My suspension install was done at Auto Europe that Christian mentioned in his post. They were pretty good, and price was fair, although I wouldn't bother changing if you already have an appointment.

Count me in for a 993 breakfast/lunch!

Jason
Old 03-30-2004, 04:17 PM
nman413
Drifting

Christian, I just realized that you are in this area. I'm currently in Detroit consulting at GM

I went to UofM and have always had fond memories of Ann Arbor.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:22 PM
Jason R
Addict
Rennlist Member

Go Blue!!!

A fine four years of my life spent at U of M too!

Jason
Old 03-30-2004, 04:22 PM
chris322
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Jason:

Yea that is my car. The shop called me today and I set up a time for Monday morning. I was getting a little frustrated with not being able to set up a time for an appointment. However, I think my frustration was partially borne out of the fact that I am an impatient person. Chuck recommended Ron and seems like a good guy that knows his stuff about 911's. I will definitely be in for a 911 get together.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:11 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Please let me know when you are coming to Toledo, Chris and Jason. I'm glad Ron will be able to get your cars aligned. He has done a superb job on my 993 and on my 911 when I had it. I'd like to meet you over there. All of you other guys too, we should certainly try to get together sometime. Keep it in mind.
Chuck
Old 03-31-2004, 12:54 AM
chris322
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chuck:

Does Ron's shop do tire installs and balancing as well as alignments. I just bought two new rear tires and get the tires mounted along with the suspension work. Also, I am game for some type of get together with the SE Michigan owners.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:24 AM
Jason R
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guys,

Since I'm not local, I'll be making the trip (w/trailer) to Toledo this Sunday (April 4), probably in the mid to late afternoon. I'll likely be picking up the car some time in the evening during the week of April 5 depending on when Ron can get the car done.

Would love to hook up with everyone. Does Sunday work for a meeting in Toledo?

PM me or email me if you prefer.

Jason
Old 03-31-2004, 05:06 PM
chris322
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sunday works for but only up to about 5:00 pm. I have a hockey game at 7:00. But, I may be available during the week when you pick up the car.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:58 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Jason and Chris,
Sunday works for me too before 5:00. Jason, can you make it down here a little earlier? We can meet you, and go someplace after that will allow you to maneuver the Trailex.
Chris, I don't think Ron does tire mounts, but you can check with him.
Any other Rennlisters in the area, come and join us! Christian, Will?

Chuck
Old 04-01-2004, 10:41 AM
Jason R
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guys,

Sounds good. Go ahead and pick a time and a place and I'll PM or call Chuck to work out my details.

Hope to see a bunch of you on Sunday!

Jason

Quick Reply: Suspension work in NW Ohio or SE Michigan