Sponsored by:

Stop me before I upgrade my Carrera S to ROW M030

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 06:22 PM
Redlined993
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Will,

I just had the PSS9's installed on my race car, I think we did once Gingerman with them installed, given that are only minorly more expsensive than the ROW setup and given that you may run on both on the street and the track with the S, I think they would be the perfect setup for your situation. Are you heading out for the April event?

Chris
Old 03-29-2002, 06:46 PM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris,

Great to hear from you! Yes, I'll be at the April Gingerman event, but with my "new" red '87 Carrera track car. Should be a blast if the weather behaves.

Just to remind everyone, I'm looking for a suspension upgrade for my '97 Carrera S that will be for 90/10 street/track driving. Nothing more radical than that. I agree that the PSS9 or HR setup would be great, but I have more modest goals on this street car. And the price differential isn't small. PSS9's plus new RS swaybars will set me back about $2700 or so, plus installation. The upgrade I described at the beginning of this post will cost $735 plus installation (Gert's Euro M030 springs plus my friend's USA M030 suspension). It seems that this would be a worthy improvement for a modest cost. Thanks for all of your thoughts.

Will
Old 03-29-2002, 09:21 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Chris C.:
<strong>The ROWM030 will lower your car and make the car softer over bumps compared to a USm030, but will not give you handling improvements to justify the expense.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I respectfully disagree with this statement. I changed from US to ROW M030 and the differences in handling are significant. The mere fact that the car is approximately 30 mm lower will contribute to much less body roll and increased tire contact patch.
Old 03-29-2002, 11:57 PM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

Viken,

Thank you. It's hard to believe that the ROW M030 suspension isn't a substantial improvement over my USA M020 suspension. I know the subject of suspensions is fraught with subjectivity, and I know I have to do what is most apparent to me, but hey, the debate is part of the fun, isn't it?

Respectfully,

Will
Old 03-30-2002, 07:21 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts
Yesterday I got the verdict from Custom Alignment that my car needs new shocks. I asked them for a quote on the ROW M030, and plan to get that. For my street needs it seems to be the best upgrade in terms of handling, cost, lack of complexity and keeping the car stock. I am very grateful to this board and <a href="http://p-car.com/susfaq.html" target="_blank">Robin's suspension FAQ</a> for help in my decision.
Old 04-01-2002, 12:51 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts
Hi guys:

You are right...suspension perceptions are very subjective! I was (maybe incorrectly) reading your post above lamenting the fact that your has a lot of bidy roll/dive on the track.

Please feel free to disagree. Viken is of course right that the car will be lower (enhancing the handling), and it may feel more predictable with the progressive spring rates.

My only point was: if you are trying to reduce body roll and "tighten" the cars handling--sharper turn in, stiffer feeling, less side to side wallowing, less dive and squat--the ROW m030 is not much of a difference on the track (in my experience). For 90% street use, though, the ROW suspension will feel better (not sure if you can reap any of the handling benefits on US roads).

As said before...it depends on your definition of "handling" and your objectives. I personally want a car that corners flatter street and track and does not have that annoying undulation many of us have experienced at the track in our 993s. I believe this requires a setup stiffer than the factory m030, but this is just my opinion (and I don't mind a taut ride)

Again, some board members have gone this route only to end up swapping again. Of course, that can be part of the fun!

Drive a car with your setup if you want to be sure.

Quick Reply: Stop me before I upgrade my Carrera S to ROW M030