Windshield Replacement - Safelite

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 10:20 AM
LAURIER
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Windshield Replacement - Safelite

My insurance co. (USAA)agreed to replace my windshield (small crack) with OE glass but they want Safelite to install it. Has anyone used safelite and, if so, what kind of a job did they do.
Old 06-13-2001, 10:52 AM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I came across this situation last month and concluded that German OE glass is "softer" than US, Japan made auto glass. Some Rennlisters response I got back have been very happy with the Safelite glass, more chip resistant. You just have to insure that whom ever you get to install the glass have experience with installing P car glass. Alignment of the glass is most important and the antenna connection can be a pain.
Old 06-13-2001, 10:55 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Rich,

I have USAA and as such I had Safelite install a windshied about 4 months ago. It was a bear, but they got it done. It actually took two tries, the first time there was an air leak and so they had to pullit out and then start over agian. Now it is fine and the antenna cord is another worry.

Below is a post from the old board that I got from searching the archives under 'windshield' and 9 months. There is a lot of info there. Worth a look.

Bottom line, Safelite was fine, a small headache overall.

Good Luck,

Re: Good news E.J. ...thanks for the tip....

Posted By: E. J. (95 Carrera; Charlotte) <yellow993@carolina.rr.com>
Date: posted 2/10/01 at 10:14 p.m.

In Response To: Good news E.J. ...thanks for the tip.... (John D II (993TT))

John, please don't ask me how the installation went though, that is another story. I ended up having to help the tech guy in the parking lot of my office for about 1.5 hours. I hope you or him have small arms, because the plug for the antenna is nearly inpossible to reach. It is in the passenger side of the trunk under the black plastic piece at the leading edge of the windshield. The plastic cover just lifts out. Then you need a small flashlight to shine up under the passenger side trunk strut and the antenna connector is on the black box on the outside of fender(?) You have to squeeze your arm past the strut and trunk mechanism with no way to see what you are doing. My glass tech had to use a tool to pry the old plug off and push the new plug on because neither of our arms would get to it. Oh yea, fishing the new plug through the small hole at the base of the windshield is another bear. The tech had to hold the windshield a few inches over the frame while I pushed and pushed some more to get the plug through the small hole with the black urethane putty all over the place. It was a real pain in the butt, but now I smile when I listen to the radio, so it was all worth it.

E. J.
Old 06-13-2001, 01:40 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My insurance co. authorized Safelite to fix a small chip on 993's and a small crack on my sc400's windshield. They came on time and finished both a little earlier than promised. The small crack on the sc400 is gone, and the chip on 993 is still visible but i think it's filled up (haven't driven the car since then).
Old 06-13-2001, 01:57 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

I had Safelite install a new OE windshield on my 993. I asked them about USA glass (due to it being harder and more resistant to cracks and sandblasting); as I remember, they said the fit was a problem.

Unlike some of the other posters, I brought the car down to their shop and waited for it. Also, from reading the shop manual, I realized that the dashboard top piece had to come out. Figuring they wouldn't be familiar with the car, i did this myself. When I drove in, shop knew about the dash removal and were ecstatic to see it removed already!

Job was done superbly; new glass installation equalled factory job. There are no water leaks and no glass squeaks. The tech who did the job I think was excellent and had experiences with other Porsches, incl. 993s.

For info, shop was in Plum Boro. outside of Pittsburgh.
Old 06-13-2001, 05:57 PM
LAURIER
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ray,

What do you mean by dashboard top and how difficult is it to remove. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-13-2001, 06:35 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Angry

What is the dash top? That big long horizontal piece that covers the very top of the dash. Has to be removed to access the antenna connection (at least).

ROYAL PITA to remove; biggest problem was removing the center A/C duct to access a mounting bolt.

Want more info? Buy the shop manual and read it - you can afford it! That's how I figured out how to take it out.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:27 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Ray Calvo:
<strong>ROYAL PITA to remove; biggest problem was removing the center A/C duct to access a mounting bolt.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to add that you can remove the clock to remove the last remaining bolt to remove the dash.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:50 PM
condo bob
Intermediate

i went to dealer about $750 for windshield & dealer installed for $250. i saved a lot of money every one wanted $1400 to $1900, plus having dealer do work [guaranteed] this was over a year ago.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:59 PM
Bill 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would ask Safelite what type of urethane adhesive they are going to use. Fast dry or the stuff that takes overnight. I have been told by a "better" installer that the overnight cure stuff is stronger. Most places don't like to use it because you have to leave the vehicle overnight in the shop (can't drive while it's curing).
Old 03-07-2003, 01:46 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Wink

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I would ask Safelite what type of urethane adhesive they are going to use. Fast dry or the stuff that takes overnight. I have been told by a "better" installer that the overnight cure stuff is stronger. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I drove my car home after they were done. This was 4 years ago. Never have had any problems.

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement - Safelite