Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post Photos from Baltimore/DC/NoVa Meet and Drive HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 02:02 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Sorry you guys couldn't make it, Todd. It was a fine day. Hope all is well with your responsibilities.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:26 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

John H,

Let me help with your 2nd thoughts on selling quandry... DON'T SELL IT!!!
Old 03-29-2004, 06:35 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you guys had a great time. Sorry I missed it. I had to help my sister move her things to a new apartment in NYC. Got in late last night. Mark did a great job organizing and the photos are superb! Please post a WAV file of the Lambo exhaust.

Sam
Old 03-29-2004, 06:37 PM
01-996
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did everyone meet?
Old 03-29-2004, 06:43 PM
Mark Wheeler
Racer

I'm sooo envious that I had to be at work yesterday and I missed the Meet and Drive. Looks like everyone had a blast!

I look forward to doing the next one!

Mark
Old 03-29-2004, 07:29 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Todd, I hear you loudly and clearly! And my wife heard everyone who expressed similar sentiments yesterday. She really enjoyed seeing the comraderie amongst the owners. She thought the 356 was the best looking car there, so much for all of our hard detailing work and posing. As we were driving up and down rural hills with windy, tight radius turns, I must say that I was a little jealous of the cars that were modded with stiff racing seats, ultra loud exhaust, low weight, stiff suspensions, and high strung NA motors. I want to do that, I love projects, and I'm sort of at the end of this one. My car ate up the drive yesterday, but its so good there was absolutely no drama. I drove the 993 NA of a prospective purchaser a couple weeks ago, and with some RS stuff, loud exhaust, tight seats, and perhaps a 3.8, LWF, and Euro gears, I may be happy with that as a project and back road carver. Early in my ownership, I used the 993TT as a muscular GT/sports car, with its light clutch and gearchange, eating up miles up and down the East Coast. Now that I don't travel out of town as much, a back road carver may be nice. I'm starting to wonder if PSS-9's and perhaps the muffler bypasses will give me the nimbleness I seek. Why should everyone else get that fun and not me? Test driving a friend's GT3 next week, we'll see. Otherwise, my wife's input into this joint decision is more towards 996TT/Jaguar/Aston Martin-like ride, sleakness and comfort. Ugh. After yesterday, I want to have a 993 in my garage forever, screw the luxo coupes.

Mark, your photos were spectacular. Several times, while milling around the cars yesterday, I nearly stumbled over someone laying contorted on the ground, only to realize it was you composing some unthinkable artsy close-up shot of a bumper or a headlight or something. Very impressive.

Jamie, I enjoyed the reference to Gibson and diplomatic immunity, the fellows yesterday were ultra serious, weren't they? BTW, I can't wait to hear your report of the LWF and Euro gear combination.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:30 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by 01-996
Where did everyone meet?
Super Fresh on Washington Blvd and Montgomery Rd.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:35 PM
Simon Shearer
Addict
Rennlist Member

...just wanted to add my thanks Mark! That was a great day!! I am kicking myself for a) forgetting my digital camera (although there's plenty of eye candy photo's already posted), and b) not coming to Bruce's place with y'all. That would have been an experience!! Anyway...next time...don't bother asking...just sign me up - I'm in!!
Old 03-29-2004, 08:38 PM
4 Play
Intermediate

Mark,
Great pics! Yes, I will definitely be lowering the car, particularly after seeing how good all the lowered cars looked yesterday.

Thanks again,

Dave
Old 03-29-2004, 11:21 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

John - Thanks for the compliment!

If you plan on spending some time at the track, then maybe a more purposeful car is the way to go. I don't have much of a desire to hit the streets, especially since the car has R compounds and is set on a stiffish setting. When I get the Motons and monoballs, the road will be even more pounding to my keister. Personally, I'd love to see you at some DE's!

As I said, please try to keep it in the P-car family!

Simon - (BTW, Simon looks and talks like Sean Connery) Pleasure to meet you! I think it's great you made it up, the trip probably a good way to bond with your cab.

Dave -

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 03-30-2004 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:17 AM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Mark,

You might've just insulted Simon since he's Australian not Shcotish!
Old 03-30-2004, 02:14 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

John,

Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you want to do, and it sounds like fun. FWIW, I love the feel of my 993 Carrera, though I can't wait to change the suspension (can't do that until one particular change occurs in my life -- you know what that is). I love the (relative to the TT) light weight and rear-drive handling. I think one has to go faster in a TT than in a NA Carrera to have a given amount of fun, if that makes sense. The Carrera, IMO, feels more alive/involving at a given speed than does the more refined, AWD TT. All of this means that the ultimate 993, to me, would be an RS. Perhaps you should create one...
Old 03-30-2004, 09:02 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

To all who posted pictures of this fabulous run, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I couldn't make it as I'm still out of town (returning tomorrow for a short weekend) because of the photos you’ve shared I was almost there, I got to experience some of the big fun, see some of the faces both familiar and new, I even got to see the Murc, a car that I haven’t had a chance to see up close.

It's really the people who make this ownership experience what it is. Just thinking of this run, increases my desire to finally get into my car when I return and go for a spin on some back roads - Again, thanks to all who posted these great photos.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:27 AM
taly911
Advanced

Mark,

Thanks for organizing this awesome event, thank you all for a great day, looking forward to seeing you all next time.
Tal (the "diplomatic immunity" guy)
Old 03-30-2004, 11:28 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Tal,

Thanks for bringing your sweet car by! Hope you get everything worked out with it.

Quick Reply: Post Photos from Baltimore/DC/NoVa Meet and Drive HERE!