Sponsored by:

Recaro seat fitment....

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 11:44 AM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Recaro seat fitment....

I got a set of Recaro SPG's with sliders and brackets for a good price. They came out of an 87 Carrera. I was told the brackets should bolt up to a 993, however when I test fit them today they did not. The sliders seemed as if they were too narrow so they would only mount to one side or the other. Before I go and order some new ones, I just want to make sure these definately should not fit? Also, when I go to order some new side brackets, what should I get and where? Are there some lightweight or better quality ones I should buy? Thanks.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:12 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My side brackets worked with a little massaging to make them meet up with the seats.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:14 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Could you ellaborate a bit?
Old 03-28-2004, 12:28 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'd think this would be easy but man it never is with seats!

Couple options:

- Loosen/unscrew the outboard side bolts attaching the seats to the brackets and then mount the sliders. There's some flex with the brackets so you can squeeze it all together and bolt it up after getting the sliders in place.

- Check if the brackets were swapped. The bottom lip of the the brackets usually face inwards, towards the under side of the seats, right? If you swap the inboard bracket from the passenger seat with the inboard bracket on the driver's seat, you'd then have one of the brackets on each seat facing outward. 911 drivers do this sometimes to get things to line up.

Make sure you minimize the use of socket extensions. If you don't come straight down on the bolts, you can strip them very easily ... ask me how I know.

Good luck, hang in there, it'll all be worth it in the end.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:31 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Is there suppose to be any orientation of the brackets. one side bracket has the recaro logo and one does not. Sould the recaro be facing out?

The bottom lip is facing toward the underside of the seat.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:06 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

You can see the orientation of the side mounts in this pic .

The higher end should be in front. I used a wooden dowel in order to bend the mounts in/out slightly until they met up with the sides of the seats. Both the ones from Recaro and Speedware came in a configuration that was way too wide.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:27 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 725 Likes on 335 Posts

I must be lucky. Last week I installed Pole Positions with the Recaro brackets and sliders. Everything fit perfectly though alot of people that I talked to were talking about measuring cutting and drilling.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:39 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

It sounds like you need to either swap the brackets to widen the track or loosen the side bolts to give yourself enough slack to attach the rails. As for orientation, I don't know if I've seen many "standard" installations. People use different bracket brands and sliders so I really couldn't say where the Recaro logo should appear on your setup.

I'd suggest you measure the width between mounting holes and see how much difference there is between that number and your sliders. If it's 1/4 - 1/2", you could probably squeeze them in with the loosened bolts. If there's a larger difference, you may want to consider swapping brackets to widen the track. Many sliders can easily be widened (universal) but if the design doesn't allow you to space them further apart, you may need to buy new ones.

It would be helpful to see some pictures of what you're working with.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:47 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 725 Likes on 335 Posts

I have Recaro stickers on all of the brackets. Hope this helps:
Old 03-28-2004, 06:54 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

I took some measurements and the brackets are 3/4 of an inch too NARROW. Any ideas on what could be done? I thought of putting some washers between the seat and the bracket but I dont think that would get me to 3/4 of an inch, I am also a bit nervous about not putting as much thread through the seat either. Tried to find longer bolts but I could not find anything metric of good quality that would work.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:15 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the swapping one of the brackets from each seat might work. Perhaps this diagram will help illustrate my suggestion. If you were to swap the brackets and mount the left one one the right side and the right one on the left side the lips at the bottom would face outward and widen the mounting points. When you reattach the sliders they would then have a wider track. (BTW, I've replied to your PM. Send 'em over)

Last edited by joey bagadonuts; 09-04-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:05 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Okay, Nick, I received your photos and I'm going back to my other suggestion. First get the seat in the car, then loosen/detach the side bolts on one side (the one facing the door). Mount the slider, first, at all four corners and then squeeze the bracket and seat back together and insert the bolts. I checked the FVD catalog and they only sell one SPG slider which fits 87-98 911's, so apparently you have the correct parts. It's just a matter of massaging the unit into place.

Looks just like mine.

Yep, I got one blank bracket and one logo'd piece, too.

Good luck!
Old 03-28-2004, 08:48 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Thank you ver much for the help. I tried taking the brackets off of the seat and installing them and then trying to get the seat in but that did not work to well. I will try the one sided approach. Thanks again.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:42 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

My seats came with some 'spacer' type washers that added about 1/2" to the width of the PPs I installed (when I removed the SPGs). I installed the sliders with the seat only loosely bolted on the outside (inside tight, 'cause it a PITA to get to) and afer the slider were tight, I tightend the last of the seat bolts. I t really helped to have the extra wiggle room from the loose bolts on the seat.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:05 AM
winsome
Instructor

Can those of you who have bracket seat in their 993 can let me know the if a full size adult can gain access to the rear seat when the front seat is all the way up?

I am thinking of bracket but needed to retain the rear seat.

Many Thanks,

Winson

Quick Reply: Recaro seat fitment....