Optima Orange Top Battery Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 02:03 PM
Jeff 993Turbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Optima Orange Top Battery Conversion

Hi all...

I just did the Optima Orange Top battery conversion in my 993 TT this weekend. With the help of Anir's posts, I got the battery cut off switch as well, which helped move the rather inboard positive terminal out a little to connect to the weirdly shaped Porsche positive battery cable.

My next problem is that the battery cut off switch is too high and causes the luggage compartment carpet not to lie flat at all.

Has anybody else run accross this and found a solution? I was thinking if there was a positive terminal "extension", without the cut off switch portion, that may work.

I want to keep my carpet with the car, and if I can't find a solution, then I might have to get another battery or reinstall the old one, but I would rather not.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks...

Jeff
Old 06-11-2001, 05:51 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff,

I ran into a similar problem with the battery cut-off switch sitting a bit high.

However, with some work, I was able to get the carpet to lay very close to flat - enough to get the 3 black plastic twist rivets into place. To the casual observer, it would not be noticeable.

I agree with you that a less bulky alternative to the battery disconnect switch would be ideal, to get rid of the responsible green plastic dial. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a simple metal post connected to a c-clamp. Something measuring 2-3 inches should be great.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Old 06-11-2001, 05:55 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Smile

Here's the pic.

Old 06-11-2001, 06:23 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Lightbulb

Anir, call me crazy, but having never even seen one of the battery cut off switches in real life (only pictures) it is really easy for me to help right? What about twisting the whole assembly 180 degrees so that the green **** faces down. Maybe there is not enough room and it will hit the top of the battery, but I don't without trying it myself.

Just trying to help.
Old 06-11-2001, 08:58 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Anir (or anyone looking for pic that was posted above),

the link ends with jpg not jpeg
http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Po...timaOrange.jpg

BUT, I felt like I was late to the Optima Orange party as, apart from the basic Physics of batteries, I really did not know anything about the different battery offerings until 2 minutes back. My quick internet research revealed the following website.
http://www.justoffbase.com/optima/

Anything here that I should NOT believe ? Seems like a great solution. In particular, is the claim "can go unused for up to a year without recharge" one that can be relied upon atleast for a 10 or 15 day vacation? Any pros and cons to think about?
Old 06-11-2001, 09:25 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

EJ,

I don't think the green **** will fit sideways - too wide to clear the top of the battery.

Ran,

Thank you for the help with the pic. Didn't notice that "jpg" thing.

Quick Reply: Optima Orange Top Battery Conversion