Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2001, 10:53 AM
Tom T.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question BK Harness Bar

Hi,

For anyone with the Brey Krause harness bar,
does it let you install & use the stock seat belts when the bar is installed in your 993?

TIA

Tom
Old 06-08-2001, 10:59 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Yes Tom, stock seat belts useage is not affected.

See my website for a DIY on harness bar install. The link is below my signature.
Old 06-08-2001, 10:01 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 349 Posts
Cool

The Harness Bar is just fine, or so they say, for low speed events. For high spped events, you may wish to consider the harness truss. It is a bit more expensive, but may be worth the effort if it is ever needed. With the Harness Guide bar, the belts go through slots on the Guide, and downward and are attatched to the tub.

With the truss (See the BK web site) the belts attatch to to the truss.

I had the Truss and sold it: I felt if I really needed protection and the Truss kept me in my seats while the roof came down around head, I would still have a big problem. The solution could only be found in a roll bar. I used the funds from the Truss + a few bucks more, to pay for the DAS-sport bolt in bar. My shoulter belts anchor to the roll bar, my lap belts (outside share the stock belt anchor point, the inner belts anchor to the tunnel (Yes, I did have to drill two holes in the car.) And I did drill two more to anchor the sub belts.

The Driving Club I participate in, the Porsche Owners Club, will not allow attatching a 5 point harness to anything other than the tub. Ergo, I could not use the BK set up that piggybacks the 5 point belts into the stock inner seat belt receptacle on the 993. In summary, consider buying a roll bar...and perhaps drilling a few holes.
Old 06-11-2001, 10:20 AM
Tom T.
Instructor

Exclamation

Originally posted by schacht993:
<STRONG>

With the truss (See the BK web site) the belts attatch to to the truss.

I had the Truss and sold it: I felt if I really needed protection and the Truss kept me in my seats while the roof came down around head, I would still have a big problem. The solution could only be found in a roll bar. I used the funds from the Truss + a few bucks more, to pay for the DAS-sport bolt in bar. My shoulter belts anchor to the roll bar, my lap belts (outside share the stock belt anchor point, the inner belts anchor to the tunnel (Yes, I did have to drill two holes in the car.) And I did drill two more to anchor the sub belts.
</STRONG>
I am considering the DAS roll bar. How is the overall fit after it is bolted into the car?

Tom
Old 06-11-2001, 04:03 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tom T.:

I have the DAS Rollbar in my 1983 930.

The bar fits very nicely in my coupe and goes right up to the roofline.

It wasn't too difficult to install, but took a little tugging on the last bolt. This will probably vary from car to car though.

I am using my factory sport seats, and depending upon how tall you are, this could cause a problem because you cannot slide the seat all the way back - or at least I can't.

If you are using a Sparco or other aftermarket seat this may not be an issue because the backs of those seats are not as "thick" or "deep".

I highly recommend the bar to everyone I talk to because it doesn't require any drilling/welding and can be removed rather quickly.

Brian Keith Smith
1983 930
Old 06-11-2001, 05:02 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by BrianKeithSmith:
<STRONG>I highly recommend the bar to everyone I talk to because it doesn't require any drilling/welding and can be removed rather quickly.</STRONG>
Hi Brian,

Out of curiousity, how quickly can you remove it? And are you taking out the whole bar, or just part of it? I assume it is one piece.

How's life down there? Things are going well up here, just getting adjusted. I did just find an indoor karting track about 10 minutes from the new house - haven't worked up the courage to tell Wendy yet...

E. J.
Old 06-11-2001, 08:23 PM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally posted by Tom T.:
<STRONG>

I am considering the DAS roll bar. How is the overall fit after it is bolted into the car?

Tom</STRONG>
Tom,

I've got the DAS rollbar in my turbo and am quite pleased with the engineering of the unit. The fit was perfect and the installation rather easy if you follow the instructions closely. If you're tall, DAS will fabricate the cross bar to sit back a few extra inches which will give your seat a few extra inches of fore and aft travel. I ended up having mine acid dipped and painted to match my exterior. Looks rather cool. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2001, 09:17 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 349 Posts
Cool

THe DAS-sport bar went in just fine in under two (2) hours. I had someone else do it Hergersheimer Motorsports in Lake Forest, CA. I also had the bar powder coated a semi-gloss black. The bar looks great and I feel a bit safer at speed.

Martin
Old 06-11-2001, 09:20 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Tom T.:
<STRONG>

Tom</STRONG>
I'm another happy customer. I got mine secondhand from someone who'd ordered theirs with a double-diagonal bracing. Makes a nice symmetrical X across the back. PO had his painted Ocean Blue to match his 98 C2S, which was so close to my own car's color I was able to leave it as is :-).

The fit is very good, and I don't have any seat clearance problems w. either a stock seat or a Recaro SRD. It's definitely reassuring to have on the track. You have to give up the idea of any passengers in the back, but you can still throw items in the back.

E.J., while I was able to install the thing solo (without scarring up the car wresting w. it), I haven't been sufficiently motivated to try & pull it out after track events. I so very rarely was able to con anyone into suffering in the back seat anyway, it doesn't make sense for me.
Old 06-11-2001, 10:22 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

EJ:

I haven't tried to remove it, although I imagine it would be rather easy to remove.

Simply 1 piece unit with 4 bolts.

I realize that the question was intended for a 993, but assume that the installation for a 993 unit would be very similar to a 930.

Life is good down here. Got my car back from the shop today. Throttle was the problem. Had the oil changed, everything insepected (since I've been taking it to the track) and walked away with a minor expense.

Brian

Quick Reply: BK Harness Bar