Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

I went for a sound upgrade...JL Audio

The following users liked this post:
alsamrob4 (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 03:08 PM
alsamrob4
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Nice setup. Did you have that RSD custom made?
Old 01-21-2021, 05:18 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

The rear seat delete is factory.
The following users liked this post:
alsamrob4 (01-21-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 01:57 PM
BlueRidge
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I replaced my blown factory speakers with focal 130 ACs for the front, left the tweeters disconnected and replaced the rears with some Porsche component speakers https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...4REARSPKR.html

The job was made simpler by using the wiring harnesses from Crutchfield the Metra 71-017C.

I made a quick video of my installation if you are interested.

It was definitely an upgrade but you could certainly go further with amps, more speakers etc.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:23 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 576 Posts

Searched on the web for the 2 rear 4x4 speakers - 964.645.504.00 for my 993 cab and found prices from $177 EACH to $250 EACH from Porsche dealers and independent suppliers, including Pelican Parts ($237 each). Delaware Porsche had them for $ 177 each.

Some dealers and independent parts houses have old prices posted at around $30 each. I placed some orders at that price hoping for a "gift", but got cancellations at that price as inventory was not in stock and calls/emails asking if I wanted to reorder at the higher prices.

Crutchfield's did not show anything available for the rear speakers for the cab which are different than the coupe's rears, i.e. JL or Polk based on recommendations in this thread. Chatted with them, but no replacement recommended after talking to 3 different reps.

The challenge is to find some reasonably priced 4x4 aftermarket plug and play speakers that will fit just right under the speaker grills and still provide the depth clearance from the back of the speaker to the seat belt tensioner mechanism on the cabs....

It is time to measure the depth and go aftermarket, as I see prices for a representative pair are much better on Amazon, Best Buy, etc...............certainly better than a total of $350 and up))
Old 01-27-2021, 10:29 PM
Sagres74
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
Searched on the web for the 2 rear 4x4 speakers - 964.645.504.00 for my 993 cab and found prices from $177 EACH to $250 EACH from Porsche dealers and independent suppliers, including Pelican Parts ($237 each). Delaware Porsche had them for $ 177 each.

Some dealers and independent parts houses have old prices posted at around $30 each. I placed some orders at that price hoping for a "gift", but got cancellations at that price as inventory was not in stock and calls/emails asking if I wanted to reorder at the higher prices.

Crutchfield's did not show anything available for the rear speakers for the cab which are different than the coupe's rears, i.e. JL or Polk based on recommendations in this thread. Chatted with them, but no replacement recommended after talking to 3 different reps.

The challenge is to find some reasonably priced 4x4 aftermarket plug and play speakers that will fit just right under the speaker grills and still provide the depth clearance from the back of the speaker to the seat belt tensioner mechanism on the cabs....

It is time to measure the depth and go aftermarket, as I see prices for a representative pair are much better on Amazon, Best Buy, etc...............certainly better than a total of $350 and up))
Depending on your wants and needs, for the price these work reasonably well. I've had mine installed for over 5 years with no issues.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_068R46...3N.html?tp=105
Old 01-28-2021, 09:24 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sagres74
Depending on your wants and needs, for the price these work reasonably well. I've had mine installed for over 5 years with no issues.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_068R46...3N.html?tp=105
Yours are for a coupe....which are different size, etc. for a cab rear speakers....thx though for info for the coupe guys...that need rears...
Old 01-31-2021, 04:21 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abiazis

Received today after a week wondering if the rear cab speaker would be a new one...........nabbed a new Porsche OEM rear speaker which was the last one they had in stock for $ 28.00 plus shipping.......much better than $ 177 each plus quotes from the dealers...........happy camper.........

Last edited by abiazis; 01-31-2021 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:29 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Found a place to re-cone the rear speakers for the cab, $25 each. Much cheaper than $ 200 each for the superseded part. While at it, saw that my door woofers are disintegrated for the HIFI 490 system and replaced those. Luckily, new OEM parts still available at $ 30 each. One hour job for both doors today......remove 6 screws, expose the speakers, remove speaker with #9 torx tool, undo two connectors, replace speaker and thats it....some photos....

Old 10-08-2021, 06:14 AM
RockstarBruski

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Well, not exactly, with the Hi-Fi (Premium Speaker Option) the door card stays in place, no need to remove it or the pull handle /armrest/door pocket. But one does need to remove the Philips head screws around the periphery of the carpet covered speaker cover box to release it and remove the speaker reflex housing under it to remove the entire speaker system. If just replacing the existing drivers with exact replacement speakers there is no need to remove the speaker reflex housing under the carpeted speaker cover.

Andy
Thanks for the time saving tip. Question. How do you remove the tweeter to replace it in the Hi-Fi (Premium) system? Sorry if this is explained in another thread but I've been searching for awhile and can't find how to replace the tweeters.
Old 10-08-2021, 12:20 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

tweeters usually last a bit longer I understand, mine were fine......more durable than speakers in my case....as long as sound is good....no need to replace....
Old 10-08-2021, 01:34 PM
norbtx
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks like there are new OEM speakers available from Porsche.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...4REARSPKR.html

Quick Reply: Speakers