Chrome instrument rings

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 02:31 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Chrome instrument rings

Generally speaking, I don't really allow myself any frivolities in the car's interior or exterior. But chrome instrument rings are my weakness.

Now, I know that there are OEM rings that came with white gauges. I have also seen some of the aftermarket rings that cover the bazels on the outside and I don't think I like them (only seen pictures, looked balky). A thought occured to me, however, when I saw that stock black rings can be had for $12 a pop. Why not chrome-plate those?

So, are they easy to remove and put back on? Has anyone tried it? Any suggestions?
Old 03-25-2004, 03:22 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

here are some pics of mine....

Old 03-25-2004, 08:24 AM
Wsp964
Racer

Somebody had got pics but with standard black gauges please ?
Old 03-25-2004, 08:51 AM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

From John D. II in NH's former 993TT (now owned by another Rennlister)...

Old 03-25-2004, 09:57 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about aluminum? Here are mine.
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2004, 10:39 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Boris, John, thanks! Are these stock rings?

Rick, I would like to see rings like yours in person. I like aluminum look, but feel that the sides make them a bit too big, unlike fairly thin and elegant original rings. Than again, it might not be the case when you're looking at them from the driver's seat, and that's all I care about. BTW, how do they attach?

The qustion about taking off and chroming the original still remains though.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:50 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike, I didn't put them on myself, so I don't know how the install went. I think it was just a stick-on job. They look like they came with the car - very clean. You do not want to even think about chroming the ones you have. Removing the gauge bezels, if on the 993 it's anything like on the older 911 gauges, is a MAJOR job. You will need the steady hand of a surgeon and lots of odd tools. I think Palo Alto and North Hollywood Speedometer have a machine that presses the bezels back on to the gauge rims after they take them apart. I did this job about two yrs. ago when I installed grey gauge faces in my Carrera and it was a NIGHTMARE. It still looked pretty cool, but I broke my speedo and my tachometer in the process and it ended up costing a lot to get back to normal. Buy the after market bezels and stick them on.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:13 PM
KeithR3
Pro

Here is mine with aluminum.

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/kr_car_interior_1.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-25-2004, 12:41 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's mine. These are really thin low profile. I belive you can get these in 3 different finishes. The polished version looks just like chrome.

Old 03-25-2004, 04:05 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

here were mine I got off ebay.....
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2004, 04:08 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, guys! I do like them, but if I can avoid having the outside overlay, I would like that better, I think. When I get a chance to see them in someone's car in person, it'll be easier to make a decision. Plus my contact in Germany promised to start making some CNC rings, so I might just get a set and see how they look.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:11 PM
mick
Racer

Nile 13, I'll offer my 2 cents worth. First I think there are 3 different options here:
1) The gauges shown in Boris's response I believe are the same that I have. They are the original factory aluminum face. The bezel is black but there is a chrome strip around the inside of the gauge. These are occasionally available on ebay. They can be duplicated by removing the black bezel and masking off a thin strip and then spray painting with a chrome paint. I know because I had to replace my speedometer and this is how I matched the chrome ring. It's not perfect but no one has ever noticed that it is different.
2) I think you will have trouble chroming an original black bezel and reinstalling as I believe it has to be "crimped" all the way around to be reattached. (Again this is how I reattached when I painted the bezel in # 1) I would guess you will damage the chrome plating when you put back on this way
3) Sounds like if you want just the bezel to be chrome your best bet is to get the chrome overlays which I believe just go on with some sort of adhesive.
Hope that helps. Mick
Old 03-25-2004, 07:58 PM
KASH '95 993
Racer

nile13,

I too share your quest for a more OEM looking cluster ring set. I'm looking for a ring set that fits the inner ring of the gauges only.

I do not believe anyone makes them like this; however, I was toying with the idea of purchasing a chrome set of the ones that are posted here, and having my local machine shop perform the surgical task of separating the inner ring from the outer overlay. What do you guys think, should I go for it???
Old 03-27-2004, 05:57 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default one more photo......

fyi
Old 04-16-2004, 02:24 PM
OnlyAirCooling
Intermediate

Nile and Ken,

Yesterday morning I managed to scratch my original black central gauge bezel of my 993TT (as I mentioned on my first thread on this forum), so I'm aboard, looking for a set of 5 bezels...

Yesterday I've contacted the following address, found on e-bay:

http://members.ebay.com/ebaymotors/w...rid=besttrade1

AFAIK they have to be attached on the original ones using a special adhesive included in the kit, non major mechanical actions are required, neither to dismount the gauges, they write "in 5 minutes".

I've contacted them, the cost is 99$+shipping, some 9$ here, in Europe, don't know how much it will be oversea.

The problem is: will they last forever, attached on the original ones, or the temperature and vibrations will cause problems after a while? are they worth the price? who has used them, on this forum? there are pictures within this thread showing an application of them?

I'm interested to buy them.

regards
Romano

Quick Reply: Chrome instrument rings